Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heels and snow...

Heels and snow...

Hey everyone,

I wondered if anyone has advice about going when there's snow on the ground and wearing heels.

I don't own (or plan to buy) boots. so I'm really looking at regular pumps only (i.e. the top of my foot is exposed).

I have a long drive coming up this weekend and it's supposed to flurry. Drive time is usually the only time I'll go out in my fem self, so I really don't want to miss this opportunity (only happens every so often!)

This will be my first time in Full-Fem mode. I bought a wig and glasses, and I have a winter-type outfit, although I'm still going to wear a skirt.

Any creative ideas for me? Thanks!

Banned Read only
    Women don't wear heels in the snow. They might wear snow boots (or UGGs) and carry their heels or they will be wearing boots.

I agree with Jennifer. Women just don't wear heels in snow. It not only gets your feet wet, but the wetness could ruin your heels too, and don't forget the safety issue. Boots of some kind are a must and then change into your heels at your destination.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Women don't wear heels in the snow. They might wear snow boots (or UGGs) and carry their heels or they will be wearing boots.
    Woo hoo, UGG boots. Good old Australian invention.

I agree don't wear heels in snow. You might ruin them or slip and fall. just put the heels on to drive. Just wear some boots to the car the change.
    Life is too short not to be happy!

I don't live anywhere near where it snows, so no advice on heels and snow. But I do remember my wife trying to walk up California Street in SF in heels and me having to stand behind her to keep her from slipping down the street.

The moral here is the right shoe for the right time in the right place.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I have enough trouble walking in heels when there is no snow .. let alone when things get slippery. Do what other girls do -- save the heels for when they can click-clack on solid ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

When in snow,tread very carefully in heels.
    The heel will usually penetrate the ice and make contact with the pavement. The benefit of this is that you now know how deep the ice is.
    Because they are open at the top you should lose all feeling in your feet and you wont know how uncomfortable your shoes are.
    Snow has a propensity to fall over the edges of heels and get inside the shoe. This turns into ice water and thoroughly soaks your feet, stockings and does help clean the inside of your shoes if they have been worn often.

The remedy for this is a pair of warm boots worn outside the car and walking on the snow covered sidewalk on the way to the venue.
    Change into your nice heels when you arrive.
    If you need to think about it, stay home.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hon, you can always wear a nice pair of ladies walking shoes and carry your heels in a tote bag, just like the office girls do up here in the cold and now snowy chicago area. When indoors, slip on the heels and put the walking shoes in the tote bag. Veronnie2

Stuck in the 80s that i am, i remember any number of knockout young ladys coming to work in high top reeboks (in warmer months) or more appropriate winter footwear under their slacks and skirts, then slipping into heels or other appropriate 'at work' footwear. I remember one lady who was quite friendly, she would always make the switch in the elevator as she rode up. I'd make it a point to hang out for a few minutes before going into the building, just for the hope of catching the same elevator as her. I'll bet Veronnie could share a similar story as well, as we sure shared the same stomping grounds in and around Chicago...

While it has been pointed out that women don't wear heels in the snow, I somewhat dissagree. I have been to parties where they walked thru icy or light snow covered parking lots to get in. I have also been in snow in heals, even strappy sandals, although I know thats not the norm. You do have to be careful of getting them wet if they are good leather heels. If its just a dusting, you shouldn't have a problem. If deeper, your feet will most likely get wet and could become cold. I generally wear my leather over the calf boots when weather is like that though. Even Uggs don't look good or natural in most dresses. They are great for casual wear or casual dresses though. Just make sure you have a bit of tread on the bottom of your heals, not the time to wear the slick soled dancing shoes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Heels in snow is just a disaster waiting to happen despite what all these female acrobats say.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari B View Post
    Woo hoo, UGG boots. Good old Australian invention.

Those things have to be the bane of women's footwear style! Not to mention they are BAD for your feet as they have no support. (from my niece, who is a podiatrist)

In the car, it doesn't really matter. But, walking around, yeah, that will be tricky, and you are sure to get looks-- "why is she wearing heels"?!Boots are a wardrobe must, if you live in a snowy area. Right now is a great time to buy some--all the stores are clearing out the winter stuff.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Heels in snow are you daft girl.No girl would treat her heels like that hun. And so you don't hurt yourself please get some boots.Really don't do it.
    Angie

I always wear heels, snow or otherwise, even my boots have 3 inch heels. You just walk carefully or even better find a nice gentleman who will offer an arm. On the flip side I almost fell the other night on a wooden floor in dry conditions when the heels slid.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

My solution to heels in the snow is to move south! I spent the first thirty odd years of my life battling the snow before I finally wised up.

It's always comical seeing the women around town struggling through the snow, especially on ice!
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

I have high heeled Rubber boots for such weather, Hunter Laupins . I will say mother used to have these high heeled over boots by totes. Once in the city (NYC)I saw a shivering moron in gg n a 3/4 length coat no tights or panty hose mini skirt Christian Louboutin knock offs in ankle deep slush. I thought glad I wore my Melissa boots that day and long coat. Not to mention tights are a must in the cold.* Melissa's are a fun brand plastic shoes and boots.

Banned Read only
    Rookiemistake may be the appropriate name for making a rookie mistake. Yes, I concur you should not attempt walking in snow with heels for safety and not ruining your heels. If you want to change in the car for having that totally fem feeling OK. I would recommend also taking along a 'Man Bag" to change into men's clothing, which may be more functional while digging yourself out of a ditch and waiting for a tow truck. Flurries tend to turn the roadway into black ice. You may find yourself slipping in your slip.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Short walks to cross the street are ok, but you pretty much have to stay on the pavement and watch your step. Shortcuts through the snow are generally a bad idea. And on a final note, no ice fishing in heels. People will look at you funny. . .

One night I drove home dressed and walked up to the house in my boots with heels in the snow. My wife and I are DADT so I had to make sure to shovel the walk early the next morning since the tracks were not what one might have expected for the man returning to his castle. There were no problems walking, just the tell tale tracks for me.

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and I wore heels, in snow... it was bloody awful what made it worse was, cobble stones at the entrance, I mean, seriously? why would you put cobble stones at an entrance at a wedding venue??? Most women there had heels on, not to mention the bride and bridesmaids, their heels were about 6 inches in height, mine were about 5 inches in height. It's not safe, you could slip and break your neck, wear some boots and take your heels with you
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I'm glad this sparked such a conversation. To clarify, I don't think I would be walking through deep snow, just a dusting on the ground. Additionally, I"m not sure how much courage I'll be able to muster as it's my first time Full Fem in public/during the day, so there's a good chance I won't be walking a long distance in them.

I'm completely opposed to UGGs. There's a reason they're called uggs and I prefer fashion over comfort.

So, just to see if I can go another direction here what are your thoughts on this:

Sweater dress, black leggings or tights, and black or nude ballet flats. The kind I have are the comfort plus type you can find at just about any payless. Would that be a better idea in "shallow" dustings of snow?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far!!

RM - I agree with the majority of comments here, that you won't find a GG risking her heels in snow or on ice; it's simply not feminine to go A.. over teakettle, which is likely to happen. If its 30 feet from the car to the door and there's a gentleman to lend an arm, OK. Personally, while I love my heels, I never even drive in them; when I get where I'm going, off come the flats and on go the pretty shoes; but ambulance rides are just not that sexy.