Thread: Photo hints

Photo hints

Note to Ms. Moderator: I put this in the general instead of "Picture Gallery" since it may prove useful to potential new members that want help for their first avatar photos when they join.

I know we have seen threads asking how some gals on here take such nice photos, and I've seen great responses. Yes, winning the lotto at the gene pool helps, but for us not so lucky it takes work. With this in mind, I thought some people might want to look at hints from this month's SHAPE Magazine. (I did a cut and paste - so give them the credit.).
    __________________________________________________ _________________

1) Find Your Good Side
    Everyone has a good side, Ernst says. "Take some time to look through old photos of yourself. Note ones where you really like how you look and figure out which side of your face is to the camera and how your body is angled."

For most people, a 45-degree angle (or 3/4 turn) is flattering, unless you have a larger nose, in which case you should face the camera straight on. "If you tilt your head away from the camera, make sure your eyes are still looking at it."

2) Don't Be a Poser
    Put your best foot forward, literally. There's a reason that most red-carpet pics looks the same—starlets with their hands on their hips, one leg slightly forward, and the lower body angled away. That said, Ernst cautions against using the same pose too often.

"Don't do the hands-on-hips thing all the time! It looks affected. You need to mix it up." She advises taking practice shots of yourself, either with a friend or a self-timer, and seeing what looks most natural and flattering for you. A few pointers to get you started: Keep your arms away from your body to improve your posture and make them and your waist look smaller, slightly arch your back (think Victoria's Secret models), and remember that whatever is closest to the camera will look the biggest.

3) Think Happy Thoughts
    To avoid that awkward ack-don't-take-my-picture smile, thinking happy thoughts can go a long way. Pro portrait photographer Allison Temple swears by this trick with her clients. "It sounds kind of silly, but when people are thinking about someone or something they love, you can see it in their eyes and expression. So I tell people to remember a really happy memory or think of a funny story." Plus, it can help you relax and feel more natural in front of the camera.

4) Posture Makes Perfect
    You don't have to be ballerina-perfect to look great in a picture, but you do need to be conscious of your body. If you don't consciously fix your posture, you'll likely look like you're slumping, even if you don't feel like you are, Ernst says. Bring your shoulders up toward your ears, then back, and then down. It looks more natural than just pushing them back and sticking your chest out.
    "It takes practice to look 'natural'" Ernst adds. Elongate your neck and slightly push your forehead towards the camera. It will feel a little strange but it will keep you from getting the dreaded double-chin and make your eyes look bigger.

5) Wardrobe on Set!
    You may not have a personal stylist like many of Ernst's clients, but you can still put together an outfit that brings out your best features. Keep clothing basic but well-tailored. "An outfit that fits you perfectly can take off five to 10 pounds!" Ernst says.

Pick one or two colors that make you feel really confident and pretty, and then find a simple, classic top in that shade. "I actually tell people to avoid black or white right next to their face, as they can be very harsh." Ernst also suggests staying away from loud patterns that can turn into magic-eye tricks on camera.

6) Cut the Background Noise
    Beautiful scenery is nice, but simple is better if you want the focus to be on your lovely face. A plain, light-colored or lightly-patterned (think bricks) wall works well for most people. Avoid having a window or mirror in the picture at all but especially not behind you—any light from behind will shadow your face.

7) Make Lipstick Actually Stick
    The key to luscious lips? A good base. "First, apply foundation and translucent powder to bare lips. Next, create definition by drawing just outside the lines with a flesh-toned concealer pencil. Outline your lips with a neutral-colored lip liner and fill it in on your whole lip before adding lipstick on top. A dab of gloss placed on the center of the lower lip (not the whole lip—it looks gloppy) offers a dewy, delectable finish.”

8) Eyes on the Prize
    If eyes are the windows to the soul, eyelashes are the curtains! And nothing frames your eyes better than false lashes (hello, Zoey Deschanel)! You don't have to spend a lot of money to look chic. "There are some great, inexpensive ones out there, like Ardell, that really make your eyes pop. Find them at your local drugstore or even grocery store," Ernst says. "If you are wearing them during the day, use a natural looking lash that blends with your own lashes. Save the thicker, longer ones for evening or a night out."

9) Don't Over-Edit
    The key to a beautiful, candid profile picture is in yourself, not in a computer. These days it's all too easy to brighten teeth, erase birthmarks, and even shave off a few pounds with a click of the mouse. Unfortunately it's just as easy to take it too far. It's okay to use basic photo-editing software like Picasa or Photoshop to crop, fix poor lighting, or even zap a couple of zits, but the more you use the fancy filters, funny borders, and cleavage-boosters (we've seen it!), the less you look like yourself. You don't want to be that girl who people don't recognize in real life when they finally meet you! You're beautiful for who you are so be proud of what makes you unique!

Aspiring Member
    Thank you Stephanie. Those are great tips. Leanne

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Great points Stephanie.

I think three other things are worth mentioning:

Lighting - unless you are using natural light outside on a sunny day lighting is usually inadequate from a distance. Way too many photos inside are poorly lit as well.

Poses - any photography book on portrait photography will have a myriad of suggestions on how to pose. From standing up not all pictures need to be hands at the side or sitting on the hips. You can be holding something or holding onto the wall or a door. You can be standing and turned to the side or backward and looking over your shoulder to look at the camera. Sitting there is a number of options as well: legs crossed, feet up, feet crossed under yourself (show off those heels). and there is also pictures on the floor or bed: not just laying down and prone, but kneeling or sitting on the floor. Avoid a position where your head is forced down into your chest as it looks like you have three chins.

Camera Angles - A camera angle from above is generally more flattering than from below. Stephanie is right there usually is a better side for most people.

about your good side... Everyone has one eye that is larger than the other. Your largest eye should be the farthest from the camera. This is because the camera will magnify the closest eye and make it appear even larger, people look better in photos when everything is symetrical. Another tip, step away from the camera unless you want to have a very large nose.
    Chickie

Excellent tips. As a photographer and having just tried some personal shots, I could have done with reading this a few hours ago! Now to find my best side....

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Thanks, Stephanie -- these are great tips! Now that I'm using the camera timer, I'm trying to mix up my poses a bit more. As for my "good" side while en femme -- well ... the search goes on

Thanks. I can't wait to give some of these a try.

These are *great* ideas - thanks to you all!

And another tip,always choose your backround as I did for my avatar..
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I like the way you have phrased all the points.
    6,7&8 in particular.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member
    Excellent pointers Stephanie..thanks for posting.

Banned Read only
    Thanks for being thoughtful enough to post these tips Stephenie. I could have used them before I shot these pics: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ics&highlight=

and reduce the resolution on your camera.... I look so much better at 1 megapixel than I do at 12! lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    One source lighting [the flash on the camera] is THE worst source of light of all. Generally the more light it provides on the subject, the worse the pic. If possible DON't use it/and or turn on every light available/get closer to a window. The BEST place indoors is close to a corner with a window nearby in a light colored room. Any flash can be softened with one ply of WHITE TP, Kieenix, etc. taped over it.

"You get quality from quantity" is right next to LIGHTING as far as most important.

Also IF focusing manually on a tight shot, focus on the eyes.

The more "comfortable" someone is with the photographer, the better the pics.

A high ISO speed will "soften" any pic.

my good side is at the wrong end of the camera

A lot of very good advice here. Just to add my two cents. 1. A camera with a remote shutter release is much better than a self timer. Some cameras can even be connected to a TV set so that you can see the picture composition on the screen before you click. 2. Choose your background well. If I have the time I try to hang a medium intensity sheet (not white) on a frame behind me. 3. And, if I am taking seated pictures I try to remember to put a similar type of sheet or drape on the chair so that it's fabric pattern doesn't distract. 4. As Karen H. noted, use a lower pixel setting on your camera. The 2400 x 3600 setting will expose every skin flaw, including pimples, wrinkles, age spots, moles, and stray hairs, that any person, male or female, in excruciating detail. 5. Try not to use flash/strobe settings, other people have pointed out that this only exacerbates the effect of using a high pixel resolution, as well as creating harsh contrast lines and shadows. 6. If you can do so, set up regular table lamps, or plumber's lamps around the setting so as to eliminate shadows and cast a more natural light on the subject. 7. Don't be afraid to shoot dozens of pix and discard 90% of them. It's what real fashion photogs do. Even gorgeous women like Brooklyn Decker, Elle MacPherson, Cheryl Tiegs take rotten photos occasionally. 8. Remember that if you are taking pix in your own home, and you're closeted, that the bric-a-brac, oriental rugs, fabric patterns, pictures hanging on the wall, are going to be like a sign saying "Look this is Me!" if they appear in your photos.
    Last edited by StarrOfDelite; 03-03-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: another thought occurred to me.

I am Ana, hear me roar! 27th Jennifer's Avatar
    Thanks Stephanie!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My camera tricks:

Take a minimum of 50 pics in each outfit. Many poses. Sitting, standing, leaning, and with more than one background. I ALWAYS find a few "keepers" from every shoot that way!

Just bought a new camera with an adjustable timer. It goes up to 30 seconds before firing. And, can take up to 3 pics in rapid succession! Very helpful for my photo stories and self bondage pics! It was about $125. PM me if u want the details.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Good stuff; I copied and pasted to Word to save it for future use. Many thanks.

Debbie

Good suggestions above. Photo hobbiest here. A fine background results when lying on your back on a carpet holding the camera over your face. If the photo is close...I cover the flash with my finger or turn it off. A neutral-color sheet hung over your shower curtain or door is also a good choice for a background, as are curtains or a wood screen, (see avatar, indoors; a fluorescent light is above my head). Neutral-color textured wallpaper is also excellent, (see profile pic). Wood paneling also works, but shoot from an angle...not straight-on...to avoid flash reflection and glare.
    And a window is an excellent light source. I place the camera on a small table in front of the window so the back of the camera faces the light. Self timer. Then I sit (low) or cross-legged in front of the camera. Flash is usually turned off. Point nose slightly left; roll eyes to look at the camera. The result is an artistic photo with the face lighted softly from the side. I got the best results today, when I set the exposure one-stop lower than usual. If you can find a way to get a mirror in your view--you can practice your expression--slight smile works nice.
    Outdoors...a shady spot with bushes in the background works the best.

Scout around your house for the best photo background you can find, taking advantage of the windows and strong lights, (removing shades if needed).
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 03-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Great points, Stephanie. I think the best method for me is to go for quantity and then filter through them and pick out the best shots. If you think you have the right shot... take another 10 anyway.

Platinum Member
    Hi Stephnie , Great tips for the photography challenged.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Great tips!
    I suck at photography and don't know anything about cameras and stuff.
    Always take pics with flash, but often don't like the results.
    Took some pics in a new red wig yesterday, looked great in the mirror but the flash made it look really unatural.
    Maybe I need a better camera? mine is a Sony W580.
    What is the deal with the new system cameras? Do they take better pics by users as myself who mostly use auto settings