Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thou shalt not crossdress!

APOLOGIES, people. I shouldn't have posted this this morning. I wasn't thinking. I'm going to be away for the next couple of days, and may not be able to check on this forum before Wednesday. Sorry. I'll be back as soon as I can.

Best wishes, Annabelle

"[10]Thou shalt not crossdress for it is an abomination in the eyes of Society, blessed be its name."

Unless thou be-est an Pope, an Priest or ye Anglican Bishop ..
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

Thanks for the translation. It was easier to" get". I agree with your viewpoint. I hear all the doomsday "expectations" but then never really see the doomsday results. Do people get attacked for being different? They sure the hell do and all too often. However, in my opinion, as much as they happen, I see no reason to use that as an excuse to not be who one wants to be. A lot of happy people get killed in car accidents and you do not see everyone proclaiming that they will not go in an automobile because they "might" get killed. Now if they said job, wife family, etc. I get that too and am more than happy to let them live their lives as best that they can under the circumstances they were dealt and even those that they may have control over. If they ask how to go out into the fearful world, I am more than willing and happy to try to support their desires and request.

I think that face to face interactions is a great way to help others diffuse their fears of the unknown and maybe even ask some curious questions that may help get them on out side, not the love us side, but I respect that person for being different. But that is not the only way. Being part of the larger LGBTQ umbrella also works in our favor, as does those that want only their "T" umbrella to work for more rights, toleration and maybe even acceptance. I also believe contrary to a lot of people out here that roles, good, bad and humorous, in movies, television sitcoms, specials on transgenders are all good for the overall goal that we someday hope to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    The only question I have is this

If you are so bothered about what "society" dictates you can and cannot do, what are YOU doing about it?
    Nigella, I think she answers your question here-

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    [B][I]
    When we stop using this word “society” and start saying “people” instead, it changes our view of things. We’re not fighting some vague, god-like, all-powerful entity. We’re simply dealing with other people.

“We have met the enemy and they are us.”

Best wishes, Annabelle
    I think Annabelle's point was to be a wake up call for the TG community- And, as opposed to being "Another long post on what's wrong with society and why gg's don't accept us", she isn't concerning herself with that question. She's simply saying that if you get out and talk to people it probably isn't as bad a we tell ourselves it is on this forum and it can only get better... Then again, you might live in Texas.

On Hiatus
    People tend to treat social aggregates as individual entities -- the "government", the "church", "x country" and "y country", "big business", etc.

It's a way to simplify the world around them and avoid thinking critically.

I encounter it a lot, particularly insofar as the government and big business are concerned, and, as a dual economics and political science major . . . it's pretty frustrating.
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

SarahMarie42

It's kind of ironic because we crossdressers always say on this site "just talk to us and you'll see that we are all different and everyone here has their own motivations for crossdressing and blah blah blah...", but we still scornfully project onto others our own sense of inadequacy and lazily assume that "they judge us because society judges us". We need to get over ourselves! People are people and everything comes down to communication. We will inform the people we meet and in turn they will inform us and then maybe we can get past conversations about social aggregates and start understanding and identifying communities in a more deliberately thoughtful way.
    Last edited by Nigella; 02-11-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Read the rules regarding quoting posts

On Hiatus
    May(be), I have to ask you, did you add the parenthetical portion of your name as an Arrested Development reference? xD
    "None is more cruel and violent than the coward"
    -Italian economist and sociologist Vilfredo Pareto-

..................... maybe.
    Last edited by Nigella; 02-11-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: as before re quoted posts