Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Limit Your Crossdressing And Still Be Yourself?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Can You Limit Your Crossdressing And Still Be Yourself?

Are you truly being yourself when you limit to or base your crossdressing on the surrounding gg's appearances are?

I know that I would not be my true self, however I may incorporate some of their dressing/appearance preferences with some of my own preferences.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I attempt to base my dressing style on what most of the local gg's wear. I guess my feelings are to fit in and blend so I can feel as if I am one of the girls.

Limiting one's appeearance to what is "in now" may be being oneself for many but not for me. I like to dress the way that I feel at the moment, but whatever fits one's bag is OK by me. " To thine own self be true", said Sartre and that is very true.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 02-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

My style of dressing is nothing like what most GG's these days wear. I generally wear fairly long skirts and dresses. This isn't totally without parallel. In Ireland a few women my age still dress like this.

But I don't have to worry about blending in. I'm the only T-girl in a little town where everybody knows me. No matter what I wore I'd stand out. So I wear what I like.

Annabelle

Since my goal is to appear as a woman, I do tend to wear what other GG's my age would wear. There is still a LOT of variations and styles so I do not feel at all constrained by this. In fact I love looking like just another lady if I can. Nothing wrong with doing your own thing I just like it this way. I am more interested in looking like a lady than looking sexy, or wearing a particular kind of outfit. I have dresses, skirts, jeans, pants, leggings, all sorts of outfits.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I dress to the current styles for the most part. If anything I probably dress younger than my age...but age is all a state of mind and so is cross dressing! I love to look at the ladies, say "wow, she looks great in that, I like that and want to get that look/style for me"!

In social situations, we all limit our behaviors to fit within the boundaries of current acceptable social norms and rules. We do not say exactly what is on our minds, use politically correct words and phrases, tell little white lies to spare other feelings, refrain from non-harmful behaviors considered rude in public or around strangers, follow a dress code at work, etc.. Using the OP's definition, conforming to these norms and rules is not being true to ourselves. We do not completely agree with or understand all of the norms and rules, but we follow them to various degrees anyway. There are consequences, big and small, for non-conformance, and each individual determines whether the price to be paid for non-conformance is worth it. We all conform multiple times each and every day.

There is nothing special or different about cross dressing. Unless you wear anything you want with a complete disregard to social norms and willing to fully accept all of the consequences, you are conforming at some level, thus not being true to yourself based on the OP's definition. I think it is more a desire to conform, belong and be well thought of (none of which are bad things) rather than being untrue. I do not feel I am being untrue to myself whenever I follow social norms and conventions whether it is related to being transgendered or not.
    Last edited by Melissa Rose; 02-10-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Formatted for easier reading

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    This strikes me as being odd. I am a non conforming male, who crossdresses, who has to conform to surrounding GG's appearance/dressing perferences. Here I thought I could just be myself, can some one get in a rule book or something as I appear to need some help! Please note the sarcasm as I don't want to be misunderstood, I just want to have fun, now others seem to be adding rules!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I think you can still adhere to your own style and be able to fit the norms. Then if you want to go overboard you can do that at home and post it on here or some other internet site or just do it for your own joy...Hugs Jaymee
    Last edited by Jaymees22; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.

I think it really depends on the current trends, the last few years I really like what women are wearing. Heels have come back, women are wearing dresses again, and I love the boots being worn now. In the 90's women's clothing choices were very bad and their shoes bland, I had no problems ignoring what they were wearing, but now I almost always see outfits I like.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    When my wife and I found Tina, my wife was very clear that Tina would never be a "small girl": shoulders just too wide and butt just too small. Given that we moved forward to help Tina find her own style. It was hard at first because Tina knew so little! Tina had to be socialized as a girl, and fast. We talked about style and body types and all the rest. It became clear that Tina, like everyone else, would have two "styles". Her public style is tasteful and mostly "blendy" and not outrageous at all. Her private style has no such limitations.

Tina has enough sense not to wear an irridescent tight ultramini to a funeral....know what I mean?

Sometimes it takes more to feel female. So I tend to dress better than GG's do. If I could look and feel like a chick with just a jean skirt and tee, I'd do it. It's a lot of work to appear feminine.

I enjoy style and find that one can be casual to glam or anywhere in between and still be not far off when compared what the women of the day might be wearing.

Casual can and should be as feminine as being glamourous. It really can be as simple as considering time/place/event/weather with a couple basic rules in the back of your mind. Mix & match your destinations and have fun with it. That is what style should be all about.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Limit or restricting my cross dressing would not be a natural feel for me.
    I would mix some of my own ideas with some dressing preferences I have seen.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just wear what makes you feel best about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    Since my goal is to appear as a woman, I do tend to wear what other GG's my age would wear. There is still a LOT of variations and styles so I do not feel at all constrained by this. In fact I love looking like just another lady if I can. Nothing wrong with doing your own thing I just like it this way. I am more interested in looking like a lady than looking sexy, or wearing a particular kind of outfit. I have dresses, skirts, jeans, pants, leggings, all sorts of outfits.
    That says it for me as well.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I don't base my style on the GG's I see, but I do take cues from them as to what will work for me and what won't. I've always observed women who were in my age group and of course my size to see if I feel that what they are wearing is flattering to them or not.
    I certainly don't dress to look like them. I have my own style and wear what I feel good in no matter what others are wearing so long as I feel it suits my personality and my figure.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    I don't identify with a particular style or era. My identity is precise defined by what I believe, accurately or not, will make me look like the GGs around me. The closer I come to looking like or blending in with them, the more genuinely feminine I feel.

At present, I have little choice in the matter.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I've sat at the food court in my local mall many times and naturally watch the women passing by. The vast majority don't appeal to me in the least, but every once in a while a well dressed woman comes by. She's usually wearing a name tag for the store she works at. She'll have on, a skirt, maybe even a skirt suit, nice top, and hose and heels. Many variations of the above, but she's dressed to be attractive. That's the look I like to emulate. Classy and attractive. It's really pretty simple and straightforward.

Who I am is independent of the clothing I wear..... I am my true self.... clothes just make me more or less pretty.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes.....................

Banned Read only
    I certainly do not dress as the vast majority of women dress around me. Go to the mall, sit with a score pad, and, tic off the number of GG's wearing dresses compared to jeans/pants. I know the majority are dressing for comfort, so I've been told! However, if all I had to pick from was jeans or pants, I wouldn't be a cross dresser. If I want to wear jeans, I'll wear my guy jeans and a tee shirt. I suspect my preference is due to the time period I grew up in and what was expected of women.

Yes ... I beleive i am being my self who else could i be??

Yes , what helps me is remembering that crossdressing is only part of who I am not who I am.

Hugs , Nikki Rich