Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't help you

I can't help you

When I first joined here I had finally accepted myself as TG. I really wanted to help others accept themselves too, be it CD/TG and now TS.

A recent PM with another member made me realize the only one that can help you is you. This forum is a great place to feel accepted but only you can learn to accept yourself. So I guess this is my reality check that I can't help like I thought I could. We can't change what the world thinks of us or how they react to us but we can try to help you. In the end it's up to you to take the information and advice given here and use it or not.

Reality check over.
    Last edited by Marleena; 02-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Ya but we can be there for each other.

True, but!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaliese View Post
    Ya but we can be there for each other.
    Yes that is important Annaliesse, but I keep seeing the same people stuck in the same rut with the same issues. We can lead them to the water but we can't make them drink.

It begins with self acceptance my friend. After that it's up to us as you say to really get to know ourselves and utilize all of our experiences and resources to help us move in a positive direction. No one else can do that for us.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I agree, Marleena. If things were as bad for me as some posters describe, I would move. Then again, sometimes if you move, you bring your problems with you. You can not help someone who feels persecuted because the response is that you couldn't possibly understand, or that you are one of 'them.' It is a shame, but like Roger Waters wrote, "It's not easy banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    When I first joined here I had finally accepted myself as TG. I really wanted to help others accept themselves too, be it CD/TG and now TS.

A recent PM with another TS member made me realize the only one that can help you is you. This forum is a great place to feel accepted but only you can learn to accept yourself. So I guess this is my reality check that I can't help like I thought I could. We can't change what the world thinks of us or how they react to us but we can try to help you. In the end it's up to you to take the information and advice given here and use it or not.

Reality check over.
    You helped at least one person.

Gold Member
    For the longest time, I felt that IF there where others that enjoyed what I do, they
    where very few and far in between. I saw Drag Queens in Australia, but that was an act.
    I did not think they would go out dressed beyond the stage.
    I did find a few magazines that showed CDers, and TGers, and I still had doughs on
    just how prevalent the Whole Dressing Seen was.
    I found this site by accident a few years back; It opened my eyes more than I could even
    imagine. No longer was I the lonely pebble on the beach, Instead I was in a gravel pit,
    among many friends; all who in there own way like to wear woman's clothes.
    Yes this Forum has a great place in our lives, if nothing more that to have a place to
    converse with like minded people.
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    You helped at least one person.

Why thank you Corrine, but you helped yourself then.

Oh and yes Rader this is a wonderful place to fit in.
    Last edited by Marleena; 02-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.

So true! There is a saying that states "change comes from within".

It can be frustrating to encounter someone who complains about, has been hurt by or is angry about a problem or issue, but who does nothing to change the situation when it is under some form of their control. You can support, comfort and try to help, but, as stated, it is up to that person to ultimate do something about it. Sometimes there are legitimate or rational reasons for the inaction, but often putting some self effort into it can go a long way into creating a change for the better. It does take courage in some cases, but the Wizard cannot give you the courage to make the changes and accept the consequences. It often takes a lot of effort and comes with risk, but so do a lot worthwhile things in our lives. Whether it is risk versus reward or cost versus value, no one can make that decision for you. There are no magic pills or rarely simple solutions to most problems or issues. Relying only on others to help you is often a recipe for eventual failure. Having someone to encourage, guide and support you is wonderful, but the ultimate responsibility for action lies within.

It is a bit painful to read a post or hear comments about someone wanting or seeking approval, validation or acceptance from others (friends, family, society) when it is apparent that person is lacking it in themselves and not realizing it has to first come from within. IMHO, the more self approval, validation and acceptance you posses, the less you need it from others. It is still nice to receive it from others, but it becomes less of a need. It is analogous to the saying about having to love yourself before you can truly love someone else. Helping yourself and loving yourself goes a long way in receiving help and love from others and makes it easier to give them back in return.
    Last edited by Melissa Rose; 02-13-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added a sentence and fixed stupid typos

Yes, Everyone has to be able to help themselves. Trying to help someone here would be difficult at best, everyone seems to be at a different stage. You might end up hurting more than helping? The best thing here is realizing you're not alone. Hugs Jaymee

Marleena, I think I understand what you are saying and agree that in the final analysis one has to take actions to help themselves. However, I think that we all can and do help a lot of people. Our suggestions on how to deal with an issue, how to look at themselves from a different set of eyes to get a different view of things, all this helps a lot. Some help gives quick results and one can say, "I helped that person because I can see they have change because of my participation." Other help gets added to others' help to eventually aid the person to take the needed steps and action to make use of that third person help

IMO if we make people think, make them smile we are being a big help.Asmile, a laugh, or a kind thought can really help one get thru the day.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Tdis is a great place to place a question that you may have about yourself and issues rhat may he affected by dressing.
    Almost all the time your gonna get several different views and its foing to be their choice on which way to approach it.
    So as far as I see this place for us gurls to come to for help and advise its a god sent. Longago there wasnt such a place and most of just hid and rhoufht we were one in a million as far as there wasnt anyone even close to doing what we were hiding in the closet.
    Renee

We can lead them to the water but we can't make them drink.
    That is the problem! Lead me to VODKA..... I'll DRINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiegalore View Post
    That is the problem! Lead me to VODKA..... I'll DRINK!

Lol..I'll drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Marleena, I think I understand what you are saying and agree that in the final analysis one has to take actions to help themselves. However, I think that we all can and do help a lot of people.
    I'd agree with Allie on this one. (I'm not saying you're wrong, Marleena. You're never wrong.) But there is such a thing as helping others to help themselves.

I know this forum has helped me in that respect. When I see others accepting themselves and getting on with their lives, then I wonder, "Why can't I do that, too?" So I do it.

Monday and Tuesday I was in Dublin for some shopping--ear-rings and stuff like that mostly. But I also tried on a slip in the changing room. Then I had experiences like the one in the ladies' room where I was standing at the mirror doing my hair and lipstick just like everybody else.

Do you think I'd have been doing stuff like that a year ago? No way, Jose. So you can help others to help themselves. I rest my case.

Annabelle

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    I'd agree with Allie on this one. (I'm not saying you're wrong, Marleena. You're never wrong.) But there is such a thing as helping others to help themselves.
    Oh I have been wrong and will continue to be wrong at times Annabelle. I agree with the above but I need to stop making it a mission I'm on. Besides plenty of you others give the same advice out.

Oh I have been wrong and will continue to be wrong at times Annabelle.
    I'm sorry, Marleena, but you're wrong about this.

Accept yourself and what you are regardless of those around you and then you move up to the next level in CD heaven.

Maria

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    We are all here to help each other.
    Pinkessence Transliving Urnotalone

I like that Jimmy Stewart movie "Its a Wonderful Life" because that movie showed the value one human life has to touch others and what happens if that person never lived.

The thing about helping people, you do not want to approach it as if it is your job to "fix them" because you may than feel like you have failed them or the frustration of them not getting "fixed" creates annoyance in you for them.

You have a generosity of spirit that seems boundless at times and I can almost feel you vibrate in your love for others. It really is amazing to watch but this also could leave you feeling hurt like your gifts have been rejected.

Life is the problem and it never really gets "fixed", the only thing that changes is what needs to be "fixed" as a problem that must be confronted and hopefully transcended.

Sometimes the way a problem is transcended is by just accepting it and learning how to live as full a life as possible within the limits that life imposes on us.

The limits we impose on ourselves is another matter and this is always a personal voyage regardless of how much is shared with others.

A life is defined by the persons relationship they have with themselves. It is really never about others but always about that person inside us that we live with.

This is the relationship you are confronting when you try to help others.

Be careful not to hurt yourself while you are trying to help others because than you will hurt them as well

Share your story and in this sharing those who need it and are ready for it will take it and make it their own.

At the end of the day we can only advise others according to our personal opinions.
    If they do not wish to take that advice so be it.
    If their condition keeps deteriorating and they do not seek guidance elsewhere we can only be tolerant and endeavour to help in other ways.
    I do not propose we pester them, or give up either.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Marleena, there is nothing wrong with your self elected mission to help everyone. That may be just what the big guy or gal up above wants you to do. Sometimes your help will show immediate results and sometimes not. Sometimes your help is received and other times rejected. If you like to help, please never stop that because deep down inside that is who you are, along with all that other stuff that you are like a good worker, married, an attractive person not only on the outside but also on the inside, and a person dealing with your own issues.

BUT YOU DID HELP ME!!

for whatever its worth and whether you know it or not, you personally, and this site has helped me tremendously. i did drink the water!! but you led
    me there. you are one of my favorites here, and i enjoy your comments and threads so much. you have helped me in many more ways than you will ever know. i remeber buying my first pair of jeans, after reading a thread you started. i think i did send you a message about that too.
    never in a million years did i ever think or plan on getting out of my closet!! the door on my closet has been ripped off! the confidence i have in myself now, even shocks me. i do go out now, probably more than i should...lol but i both love it and enjoy it and only wish i started going out sooner.
    so the bottom line for me, is that i took the advice and info and ran with it! AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT
    paula

Same here... YOU actually helped me. We chatted and you and some others gave me that little bit of encouragement that I needed to get out and about.... little by little with a bazillion baby steps, I made it. Passed the front door and haven't looked back.

Thank you.

Renne.....