Thread: So, my GF outed me, sort of.....Very interesting response from group of teenagers.

So, my GF outed me, sort of.....Very interesting response from group of teenagers.

My GF was having a discussion with a group of 14 and 15 year olds, about 5 or 6 of them in, lets call it a teaching role. The subject was about Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation. There was another lady there, who is known to them as Lesbian, ( or is that BI? can't remember )

One of the more interesting comments from one of the girls was that the nature of her genitals, and her orientation is nobody else's business unless they were actively trying to date her. ( Very adult and clear thinking comment to my mind ) At one point of the discussion, my GF mentioned "A very dear friend" "Who is straight, but likes to wear womens clothes"

Their response was the same as hers when i told her. "Oh Cool!"

In some places it seems there is hope.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Very nice. I'm glad that their response wasn't negative. There's always hope.

I think the intolerance of teenagers is sometimes vastly exaggerated in this community. Admittedly, a group of giggly girls following you around at the mall can be an annoyance, but there's nothing really dangerous about them, and if you make the effort to stop, talk to them and explain yourself a bit, the current generation has usually proved to be rather open-minded and tolerant to me. It's just that when they form a herd of their own kind with no external references, they can devolve into a kind of inward-directed mindlessness that really is much more about them than you. Some sincere and positive steps at educating them can pay off nicely, though.

And yeah, I teach high school for a living.

- Diane

When confronted with something strange the mob mentality rules, but when they are given an explanation they are more tolerant and will listen.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    I was trying to imagine participating in such an open discussion of gender and sexual orientation when I was 14... my how things have changed (for the better) at least in some places! Good for your GF. She's helping!

Banned Read only
    In states that have had popular votes on whether or not to allow same sex marriages most have voted it down. And, in the states that have voted to allow same sex marriage, there have been health minorities voting no. And, the voting age is 18. I think the 'herd mentality' is fairly entrenched in society. And, many people exhibit 'political correctness,' but, display their true colors in private.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance.

When I told my daughter who was 17 at the time she said "ok" and that was it.
    A lot more tolerance in the future thanks to today's kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha Storm View Post
    I think it's the happy byproduct of kids being exposed to the idea of diversity as "normal". Thanks to positive LGBT images in the media, kids are actually exposed to the fact that gender divergent people are not scary, they're just people.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Follow your dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha Storm View Post
    When I told my daughter (15 yrs old at the time) she just said "oh, that's cool!"
    She has never raised the topic again but was obviously ok with it. Younger generation is very open minded.