Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fashion Era

Favorite Fashion Era

Mine is the 1940-'50. I grew up mainly in the 1950 and I just loved the fashion back then and at that time there were many motions picture on the TV and I found those fashions elent, but also alluring. Grewing up in that era may have something to do with my love of cat's eye frame. Circa 1960 my mother was first fitted with glasses, which she needed to wear at all times, her first pair and 1-2 afterward were silver cat's eye and I fell in love with them. Circa 1970-'72, perhaps a bit later I purchased my first female frames, but for the life of me I can't remember my first style. Old age I guess. I have worn female frames, excusively, since 2003 and most of them have cats eye.

Please pick your favorite era for female fashion. I do adore pantyhose which didn't enter the scene until later.

Btw cat's eyes were very popular, in my extented family. My mothers sister, an older cousin, and an aunt also wore this style, perhaps others as well. Also I had a gf, Maureen, who was fitted with glasses the same time I was, we had in school examines, and she choose cat'e eyes as well. Alas I haven't seen here since 1965. In 1960 she & I were reprimaned by our nun, in private, for being too close.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 02-20-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I am a 60's fashionista.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    For me it's the 50s' & the 60s' Oh the era of the sweater girls again.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I like the 1920's and 1930 Flapper era and the drop waists, tassels, clean lines and the soft silky materials for that period. I wore my first rented costume this past Halloween and it was a white flapper drop waist dress. I was so surprised and happy how well it fit and looked. I loved it and will definitely do it again. I also like specific styles from different time periods, like the big petticoated flowing gowns of the Victorian era and the tight waisted dresses from the 1950's. Here are two pics in my rented Flapper dress at the Sacramento River City Gems annual party.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Allie,
    I adore your look, I love my flapper outfit, which I worn once outside of my home. You look amazing girl. HUGS ! Now of you added cat's eye frames OMG !
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Mid 80's to early 90's for me...think Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love Girls!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shibumi,
    Gorgeous ladies, thank you for sharing.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I enjoy the sixties/early seventies look because I was a teenager then. Miniskirts, pantyhose, hotpants were the rage. I remember how sexy the girls looked and wished I could be them.

I totally love the 60's -- the 1860's!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I totally love the 60's -- the 1860's!

Hugs,
    Persephone.

I agree with you Peresephone, I could watch GWTW or "The Big Valley" forever. The Ladies clothes are amazing

Danielle

I like anything from the 1920's onwards, as there are so many styles which fit different moods and events, where I would like to wear them. AllieSF (post #4) above, you look absolutely devine!
    Di

Silver Member
    I too love the southern belle and Victorian look with the long full dresses and corsets but also enjoyed the mini skirt year with garter belts. But went to the beach yesterday in Florida and also love today's bikinis. So I guess every period has something to offer.

love the 40's and 50's and the late 70's

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Oh how I loved the 50's women's fashions. I wear modern attire, but in a 50's sort of way. Never will understand pantyhose.

I'm partial to the 40's and 50's myself. I love the outfits and hats that ladies wore to go out or to church in those days.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

For me it was the mid 50's to mid 60's. Females, (women and girls) were definately feminine or learning how to be. I so miss those days. Women used to dress to go anywhere. It was a gentler time.

Bobbi

For eveningwear the 50s, and for bridalwear the 90s.

70s & early 80s

Perhaps it's just because of the type of clothing I'm interested in but the 70s & early 80s saw the last of the really feminine gowns, robes & babydolls with layers of sheer material, lots of lace, etc. AND that was also the era of the aerobic dancing craze which meant plenty of leotards & tights!

Lacy PJs
    Last edited by Lacy PJs; 02-21-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Platinum Member
    ok, I'm a tad younger. I loved girls in hip huggers and halter tops in the 70s!

oh, and I forgot mini's. I really love mini's. Not for me, but on a young woman...wow.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 02-21-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: afterthought

It's 40s and50s for me. especially mid to late 50s. Wish I could find them in my size!

For me it would be the Victorian era. With the wasp waist corsets and bustled gowns and the hats they use to wear,with their hair stlyes. I got my game plan ready if they ever invent a time machine.

Mid fifties to 1970. I don't think clothing was ever more feminine than at that time. Petticoats and wide skirts of the fifties, tight skirts and fancy lingerie in the 60s. Oh and gartered nylons! I just loved them! The materials and colors were fantastic and feminine behavior was sought after in many classes that young girls took. Women always wore a dress to whatever function they were attending and looked forward to doing so. As a child I can't remember all the times I heard women and girls talking about their dresses and slips and sometimes other unmentionables.

That is so easy to answer for this house....The 20's and 30's.

In my 20's I had a client (a much older woman) that loved my style. Which is just about anything I want, based on "mood"...lol...Never afraid that I wasn't in line with what everyone else was wearing. So, one day because all she had were son's (gosh I have later thought ...I hope none of them was a broken heart cd.) She brought me all of her mothers jewery...her mother was a show girl in Vegas in the 20's and 30's...OMG! I have a collection to die for. Now how much fun do you think this has been? Earings (clip) necklaces, rings..you name it. Not to mention things I had never seen. Like garter charms, bracletts that wrap between your fingers and over your hands then around the wrist. Upon reflection...I was told one of my outfits that drove my H insane was the mini skirt I wore that I used the garter charms with...when sitting (an honestly teasing) I would make sure that the bling was showing. I have even made some on my own with hot glueing earings to the clasps. One year for a gift I took the hand braclett to have it sized larger because Celeste loved it so much and just didn't clip closed. That with LBD and black gloves...simply amazing.

When I first found out...I found my H "playing" in the treasure box with almost an obsession....I would call home from the office asking "Whatcha doin?" Knowing darn well...lol

Jewel

The 50's and 60's. Garter belts, girdles, lacy bras and sexy baby dolls.

Thank you ladies for responding with such a wide varieties of favs. Btw I love mini skirts also.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud