Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working as a crossdresser

Working as a crossdresser

I've been wondering what type of jobs I could get when I go full time. I've heard that nightclubs or gay bars are nice options, but is it really all narrowed to this? I'd like to see what you think and if you have any idea about the subject. Comment please.

When this subject has come up in the past it seems the thought pattern gravitates towards hair salons, clothing store sales etc. Places where we can be ourselves in the TG spectrum. Nothing wrong with that per say, I just think one should additionally add other options to their looking. For instance your own company. At home businesses like accounting, graphic design etc. These professions are outsourced all the time by other companies trying to keep their overhead down. You can wear what you want, whenever. If you think you stand a better chance of landing a client if you show up in drab then do so. Then fem out the rest of your life. If you want only clientele that are TG acceptable, and your comfortable to show up en fem, so be. Be your own boss.
    But remember that in today's world there are plenty of companies that have very open transgender policies. Just do your on-line research or call prior to applying.
    Just don't show up at one of my construction job sites in a dress and heels telling me a tool belt will clash with your fashion statement. Be workplace appropriate in your approach.
    Last edited by Stephanie Miller; 02-21-2013 at 08:24 AM.

I wish I had the money to start my own project and at the same time hormonal therapy, but right now I don't have the money for neither and I'm about to move for new opportunities in France, as the situation where I live now (Spain) is catastrophic. I sure like what you suggest, in the future I planned to start my own business given I get the money of course, but it won't be anytime soon unfortunately. I have good graphic skills by the way, but can't find a job really, its just terrible the situation in this country. Looking forward to more ideas of other members.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 02-21-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Programming, system engineering, development, most high technical jobs that I have seen lately allow telecommute.

Musician. People have always assumed we're- Nuts, ecccentric, flambouyant, exhibissionistic, and quirky. What else could you want?-Celeste

I am not much help here, it has all been said.
    Be tactful and go for a job appropriate to your outlook.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It is hard enough to find a job nowadays. I have dreamt about a job with full time CDing but know it would just muddy the waters even more.

Maria

I like to think that women can work any where - so if you are living full time job should not be dictated by clothing choice (assuming the employee is enlightened)

Since you are saying you will go full time, then the job market would be just like any job market for a woman. However, know that when you do go full time, you will be treated differently. You will lose money, status and privilege.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Move to Palm Springs, CA. It is totally open for LGBT. I winter in Palm Springs so am familiar with it. Businesses in PS and the Cochella valley are desperate for competant, responsible workers. Note I said competant and responsible. If you are that and willing to work and come to work on time, an employer in PS would not care how you are dressed.

Jodi

Well.....

I have a pretty good job and it is decidedly NOT within the LGBT community. I would have a few choice things to say to someone who tried to tell me my only options for employment were as a cocktail waitress in a gay bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Well.....

I have a pretty good job and it is decidedly NOT within the LGBT community. I would have a few choice things to say to someone who tried to tell me my only options for employment were as a cocktail waitress in a gay bar.
    I would suggest that one focus seeking a job that matches your skills, interests and education. Then, look for employers who have inclusive HR policies and practices.

Why don't you see all types of employment as possibilities? I think finding loyal, hard-working people is the goal and challenge of most employers, regardless of the candidate's gender expression. I don't know if you would personally feel awkward, however, and that should be considered.

Silver Member
    When you talk about full time I assume you mean legally changing your name and transitioning? If you are living as a woman go after any job you want. But if you mean you are dressing full time but still with a guys name / identity - as a crossdresser - then I think it is going to be harder.

Stephania
    I was in San Fran a few months ago and ate in a resturant that one of us was working. I have know idea at what stage of crossdressing or transition this person was in but it was obvious they were MTF. Just sayin, I noticed as did my wife.

If you find a job that allows you to work from home, then that would be a good solution

Don't limit yourself. How about the fields of administration, travel, and perhaps owning your own business. What education and business skills do you possess? Go for what you want to do, and do not limit yourself. Good luck!
    Di

Interesting. I think this kind of depends on what area you live in. Las Vegas seems to have a high tolerance towards things that are "not of the norm" I currently work at a University in IT, I deal with students face to face every day, and I am in the beginning stages of transition, and no one has an issue with it. If anything, they are just curious.

I suppose it would be rather hard if the person in question lived in say... Houston Texas, or the south in Alabama. It's a difficult question to answer! I would assume private businesses might be more accepting. I also believe that your mannerism and how you prevent yourself also plays a huge part.. Are you busting in there with a wig, a dress and a five-o-clock shadow? Or are you clean shaven, and nicely done up to look presentable. [. . I don't mean to come off the wrong way with that comment] There's just so many variables! I also don't know the general mentality of Spain towards the T/CD society. When you say full time, do you mean you're transitioning [TS] or just cross-dressing full time?
    I'm A Monstar
    BAACON

I eat Rainbows for breakfast.

Banned Read only
    In Washington State the laws are very favorable for the transgender community in employment, housing, etc. However, legal protection does not mean anything, IF you cannot get your foot in the door. Cross dressers are such a small percentage of the sexual minority spectrum and a cross dresser will usually stick out like a sore thumb, it is difficult to point out discrimination as long as it is not blatant.

I would recommend you do not broadcast your desire to work in a cross dressing mode until you pass any probationary period in the employment. If your presentation disturbs your superiors or they consider you to be disruptive to the work place, they can fire you without breaking the law.

Once you're entrenched in the job and perform to their expectations, it is more difficult to terminate someone. If you intend to medical transform from man to female, that really becomes more protected as a medical/psychological issue.

There are not too many places that a 'recreational' cross dresser would be welcomed. Again, my state is very protective of cross dressers, but, I've never heard of any 'recreational cross dresser' exercising his rights. Yes, there are cases where a man is transitioning, but, that is a totally different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    I've heard that nightclubs or gay bars are nice options, ..
    Nice options if you want to be poor the rest of your life..... imho... go get a job based on you capabilities not on what clothing they wear....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I think a lot of people seem to have tunnel vision about what jobs a transperson can have. As long as the company that you're working for is open to gender diversity, you can do whatever you want. My wife works for a Fortune 100 company in their HR department, and one of her co-workers is in the middle of her transition. She was hired in to the company as a transitioning person, so clearly they do not discriminate based on gender identity. I also have a friend who was an outside sales rep for a major industrial supply company. When she decided to transition, her and her bosses made the decision that it would be better for her to do inside sales (in the office, over the phone) until she felt fully comfortable in her new role. That took a couple of years and now she's back as an outside rep. She hasn't had SRS yet, but she's in a sales position where she's meeting with customers every day.

At my company, I'm fairly certain one of my (genetic female) mechanics is going to transition as some point. She's still currently presenting as female (at least at work), but the scuttlebutt I've heard from my service manager is that she is trans and it's just a matter of time.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

As already mentioned it s a hard question to answer without more information such as education and skill level.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

I once heard a story about an engineer who went to work with a sock from the dryer stuck to the back of his shirt. When he came home, the sock was still there, because nobody thought it was important enough to mention it to him.

Perhaps you should try engineering.

abgender.com/employment

Nice replies, thanks for contribution, its helpful to know some areas are more "tolerant" regarding this. Now to answer questions you have about me:

First, I identify as male and don't plan transition, I am not transsexual, however I do plan to enhance my looks with hormones or surgery if I need it. When I say full time, I mean full time crossdresser.

Second, my education is right now pretty basic except for the fact that I'm quite skilled as 3d designer / graphic artist, no credentials though as I've been autodidact with this. I also speak various languages: Portuguese, English, some Arabic (given my mother background, I could learn some), Catalan (which is only useful in Catalonia) and of course Spanish. I will pursue more studies but not right now, I'm quite desperate for money.

Third, I've been unemployed for more than a year and I have little experience, employers won't hire me because of this and for the fact that they are mostly firing people everywhere. The economic stagnation the country is facing is forcing a lot of people close their business, they can't pay their workers and everybody ends up with nothing on their hands. A lot can't confront debts with banks or state and they are getting expropriated, I'm myself in this situation as neither me nor my family is employed as of now, and because of this we are all moving to France to seek better opportunities and see if we can pay the bank before they decide to kick us out of our home. Its pretty bad, but we are lucky in the fact that we can live with my grandparents for the time we need to be employed by someone, some people doesn't even have this option. Emigrating is a must for us, but since I don't plan to be stuck in this situation all my life, I ask for a job where I could work as a full time crossdresser, sooner or later I will be on hormones and I will look unusual for my gender, so yes I really need ideas.

Your help is being appreciated really, hope this answers shape more any idea you'd wish to share.