Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working as a crossdresser

I agree with Stephanie, self-employment has some important advantages. Study up on it. Learn some business. Find out what legal steps you might have to take. Independent graphic design. Advertising design. Web design and build.
    I was self-employed for 20 years. I did not dress at my work. But sometimes stopped to take a few enfemme photos. Always had my clothes in my vehicle.

Silver Member
    I understand your plight. If you have some artisitic capability work at it. Skilled trades make money in hard times whild others suffer.

I'm sure there are many businesses besides the traditional beauty salon, dress shop, etc. When I was driving truck for a local hauler, a person was being interviewed and was wearing a denim skirt and tank top, but the person was clearly a guy. I think he was hired to work on a later shift. Once when I picked up a delivery at the FedEx terminal, I talked to a person who was either a crossdresser or was in transition, she said she's been working there about six years. I think it all depends on how the prospective employer sees ones work potential and judges the person on past experience and not the clothes.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Until last week I worked for a large transportation company. I regularly saw CD's and TG ladies driving trucks. One even wrote a book on Amazon called "Confessions of a Female Truck Driver."

Really? I would have never ventured into thinking that there were CDs / TGs working in those environments. Transport business is not my thing though, but I would not care as long as I can be tolerated the way I am.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I was just reading online that unemployment in Spain is the highest since the 1930s. I would worry about a job first and seeing if they were tolerant of you dressing afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    I was just reading online that unemployment in Spain is the highest since the 1930s. I would worry about a job first and seeing if they were tolerant of you dressing afterwards.
    That´s the point!

The problem in Spain now is to get a work, not to be transgender.

I live in Spain. I know transexual girls who are officer in the army, worker in a factory, lawyer, owner of a bar, sales atendant, protographer, doctor, office cleaner ...

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    Yep. If you don't soon find a job you will be out on the street and starving. Get a job, then worry about the dressing.

Trying to find a job where you can be a guy but dress like a woman, you're just making it harder on yourself. Any prospective employer would rather have "normal" employees.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Yep. If you don't soon find a job you will be out on the street and starving. Get a job, then worry about the dressing.

Trying to find a job where you can be a guy but dress like a woman, you're just making it harder on yourself. Any prospective employer would rather have "normal" employees.
    Yes thats what I'm currently doing, the point is that after I get a job and money, I will need to find a place where I will be accepted in the future. Hopefully the job I find could be that place, but what if not? Thats why I'm asking, I'm curious, I'm gathering information for my future.

all states have some kind of anti discrimination laws. but the big problem is how the "other" workers would treat you. no law can force them like or work with you.

but as a woman expect less everything for the same job.
    physically (pending the "norm" injury, etc) any man / woman can do most jobs out there. but do you want a 90 pound woman as a firefighter? as when they are required to get a 200 pound person out of a burning building? could they do it? .but how is the industry in that field? most all one gender, or very mixed genders? as i do not work in a steel mill but how many lady's work in the foundry? so close to molten metals? are there really that many "guys" doing hair? must they be gay? can any out there say there hair dresser is a transgenderd lady/guy?

sure where i work the company has a anti discrimination policy. (required by LAW)..but if it was found out about my interests i could not go back there for my next shift.

if a company or group of people forced to "like" what you do..do they really? would that company/group really do everything possible to help you? or just do lip service?

if you come out at work, new job, be ready and be safe.

who knows you could find a bunch of new and great friends.

When I read through these posts I realise how much harder it is for a CDing person to find a job. Also I get the feeling that there is a difference between USA and UK. For instance Jodi says Palm Springs is totally open for LGBT etc. Even in Brighton which is one of the most LGBT friendly places in the UK I think a CDer would even struggle to get a job clearing tables in a cafe. Transgender might have slight advantage but my guess is they too would not find it easy.

Maria

If you want to crossdress at work, find a company that is expressing their diversity. Search for jobs and diversity on the web. Large companies try to declare their stance toward diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Since you are saying you will go full time, then the job market would be just like any job market for a woman. However, know that when you do go full time, you will be treated differently. You will lose money, status and privilege.
    Sadly, you are probably right Lorileah.

And of course, you must have excellent references, a good work history, skills and be qualified....even if you're goals are to be bars.

It's not as as easy or "glamorous" as you might think.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

I'm happy and lucky that I wear plastic C-shaped hair bands in a deeply conservative "sports jock" sales environment. My hair is now below my collarbone.

Given the spread of the so called "right to work" (which really means a right to fire without cause) all the diversity laws cannot stop someone who is fired for CD because it would have to be proven and as long as they keep their stories straight will never be fined.
    I would always suggest getting the job first and keeping it to yourself.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain