Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another tip for succesful "passing' or "blending in" (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Another tip for succesful "passing' or "blending in" (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Ever notice that when you are in a store or other public place where Muzak-style "elevator" music is played in the background, the GG's automatically and subconsciously start to either sing or hum along - especially the middle-aged (and up) ones? In my part of the world, this type of canned music typically consists of either instrumental or vocally-accompanied soft rock hailing from the 50's or 60's.

I happened to be in a grocery store earlier today, and the Roy Orbison/k.d. lang version of "Crying" came on. I counted at least 3 GG's who spontaneously began to sing along silently as I walked past them, lost in their own little world. It was as if they had suddenly turned into Stepford wives, or else the Pied Piper had put them under his spell and they had surrendered their will to him. Bizarre.

So ladies, here's a tip - if you are really serious about passing or blending in, make sure you hum or sing along when this canned music comes on in stores. You'll fit right in - in fact, you'll likely stand out simply by not joining in .

The reason this happens is a very high pitched tone that is inaudible to men, is inserted in the music. It effects the frontal lobe of females and excites the shopping gland. One of the side effects of this is it takes away from some of the cognizant abilities to a small degree allowing the person to kind of get lost in the moment.

If you listen very hard sometimes you can hear the tone when no music is playing. In a few stores there is an audible ding before the signal is reset and begins to transmit.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Crossdresser
    And I always thought stores pumped out shopping gas...

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    The reason this happens is a very high pitched tone that is inaudible to men, is inserted in the music. It effects the frontal lobe of females and excites the shopping gland. One of the side effects of this is it takes away from some of the cognizant abilities to a small degree allowing the person to kind of get lost in the moment.

If you listen very hard sometimes you can hear the tone when no music is playing. In a few stores there is an audible ding before the signal is reset and begins to transmit.
    Excites the shopping gland?

Banned Read only
    The reason this happens is a very high pitched tone that is inaudible to men...If you listen very hard sometimes you can hear the tone when no music is playing.
    Which means then that it's not inaudible to men then.

And what exactly is this shopping gland? What, exactly, is that and where is this "gland" located?

Hmmmmm... I already do that so that is one trick I can check off the very long and ever lengthening check list on "How to Blend In".

Ok so maybe not, but it sounds good.

I never thought I would live long enough to hear Def Lepard on Muzak.....

The shopping gland is next to the credit card reflex silly
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The last time I sang in public someone called the ASPCA and said that somebody was killing a cat!
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

lol, ah, that makes sense! Itchy fingers near my purse is no longer my own fault. It's that damn muzak in the background causing it!!!

Sorry leslie but Muzak, the elevator music people went under last year and are no more. The mix of pop you hear now is scientificaly chosen to excite shoppers from somewhere.
    The sing along influence is interesting, a century ago befor electic/electronic media people had to make there own music so it was really interactive, the way it should be. If its just a femme thing to sing along was Mitch Miller really trans?
    Hey listen thats the Eagles "Welcome to the...."

hugs rita
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

Creepy - but then, again, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. There's a whole field of psychology dedicated purely to what appeals to (and stimulates) shoppers and their buying impulses - whether it's the background music (and the way the tempo is surreptitiously increased to hasten shoppers along as closing time approaches), store colors, layouts, smell, lighting, product placement on shelves, or what appears on the aisle end-caps or near the entrance etc. etc.

Nothing is left to chance in the world of retail, and some companies like Walmart even have mock-up stores that replicate a real store down to the smallest detail, and where they train their personnel in these tactics as well as test out new shopping theories. Ever go to an IKEA store and try to get from point "A" to point "B" directly without having to walk through the entire establishment via their labyrinthine passageways that take you past every display in the store? Can't be done. There's a reason for that...

As for me, I may need to have my "shopping gland" surgically removed some day before I max out all my credit cards from buying all that fun "girly" stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by rita63 View Post
    Sorry leslie but Muzak, the elevator music people went under last year and are no more.
    That is sad, I have a couple of tape recorders and 10" reels of tape with Muzak on them the tape was played slowly and lasted 24 hours.
    It was distributed by landline from a radio station.
    These days music is delivered to dept stores by satellite.
    Each chain has it's own service these days with announcements interspersed throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Creepy - but then, again, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. There's a whole field of psychology dedicated purely to what appeals to (and stimulates) shoppers and their buying impulses - whether it's the background music (and the way the tempo is surreptitiously increased to hasten shoppers along as closing time approaches), store colors, layouts, smell, lighting, product placement on shelves, or what appears on the aisle end-caps or near the entrance etc. etc.
    Ever go to an IKEA store and try to get from point "A" to point "B" directly without having to walk through the entire establishment via their labyrinthine passageways that take you past every display in the store? Can't be done. There's a reason for that...
    Laws about fire exits in some cases preclude you having to walk the whole gamut of Ikea.
    Just don't buy the meatballs at the moment, they may contain a past Kentucky Derby winner.

Musak is getting modern.
    Where did your medical knowledge come from,
    Out of a cornflakes packet?

Quote Originally Posted by jenni_xx View Post
    Which means then that it's not inaudible to men then.

And what exactly is this shopping gland? What, exactly, is that and where is this "gland" located?
    I still say it is secret FBI business, unless Maxwell Smart Knows.

I happened to be in a grocery store earlier today, and the Roy Orbison/k.d. lang version of "Crying" came on. I counted at least 3 GG's who spontaneously began to sing along silently as I walked past them, lost in their own little world. It was as if they had suddenly turned into Stepford wives, or else the Pied Piper had put them under his spell and they had surrendered their will to him. Bizarre.

So ladies, here's a tip - if you are really serious about passing or blending in, make sure you hum or sing along when this canned music comes on in stores. You'll fit right in - in fact, you'll likely stand out simply by not joining in .
    I have done this in drab mode before I was married..A good way to pick up chicks.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "Roy Orbison"? Where the heck do u shop, Leslie? Here in SoCal the stores seem to either play Xmas music or Rap. I'll have to check the GGs in the stores when the Xmas music starts up again the middle of July. See if they're singing along?

But, I haven't noticed the women mouthing Rap lyrics. Actually, I think many of the guys lip synch the word, "Beeotch", whenever they hear it, tho. Does THAT count?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Yeah, I always find myself singing quietly to "Magic" by Olivia Newton-John when it plays in a local store and get pissed when they cut in for a customer service overhead page.

~Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

lol. omg. i find myself humming or singing to the music in stores all the time. sometimes, i find my self subtly dancing...
    when in doubt, smile

Perhaps they will play "Man I feel like a woman".

Maria

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I actually heard "Iron Man" played in a supermarket not too long ago. Yes, Black Sabbath.

Previously, in a different supermarket, I heard Cascada being played, and wondered, "When did supermarkets start playing Eurodance?"

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

I always believed that a sign you are getting old was when your favorite music finally hit the elevators and department stores. I guess they are up to my generation now, darn it. Def Lepard, AC DC, Metallica, Dire Straits, maybe they will slip a Beatles song in there every now and then so I feel a little young still.

I always do Leslie.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I can match Barry White note for note. Probably best not to hum in elevators.

I do like hearing an instrumental Walkin' In A Winter Wonderland when in stores, because I hear the alternate lyrics in my head.

I actually read an interview of a musician who said you know you have made it when you go into a bar at the Holiday Inn and the bar band is playing your song....I guess the background music in stores is just as good lol.

Platinum Member
    Hi Leslie, That is a great story it hits home.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

...here's a tip - if you are really serious about passing or blending in, make sure you hum or sing along when this canned music comes on in stores. You'll fit right in - in fact, you'll likely stand out simply by not joining in .
    I often sing along when I hear familiar music, but I prefer to go ..bum bum bum... along with the bass line. I guess this wouldn't be a good idea, huh?

Whatever you do, don't sing along in a falsetto voice. It's a dead givaway. Unless it's a Frankie Valli song: "OhOh Won't You Stay-Ya-Ya Just A Little Bit Closer" That, I can't resist.
    Last edited by NicoleScott; 03-01-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    I often sing along when I hear familiar music, but I prefer to go ..bum bum bum... along with the bass line. I guess this wouldn't be a good idea, huh?

Whatever you do, don't sing along in a falsetto voice. It's a dead givaway. Unless it's a Frankie Valli song: "OhOh Won't You Stay-Ya-Ya Just A Little Bit Closer" That, I can't resist.
    ...or maybe what should be one of our theme songs from that genre: "Big Girls Don't Cry", but this time intentionally sung in a high-pitched falsetto for added impact - especially if the CDer is built like a linebacker