Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why therapy

Seeking out and obtaining the services of a well-qualified therapist and psychiatrist has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I could not get to where I needed to be, and to ultimately acknowledge and accept who and what I really am, without professional assistance. Learning about one's self is no easy thing. Peeling back layer after layer after layer of defense mechanisms, fear, socialization, and so on is no easy task. It's a scary proposition to face the true essence of one's self, regardless of who you may be.

Just looking around and interacting with people on a daily basis, my observation is that most people haven't a clue who they really are. Discovering truths and owning up to the lies takes hard work, effort, time, dedication, and honesty. Too many people are more interested in watching Judge Judy and the Wheel of Fortune than they are in figuring themselves out. IMO, it's a real shame, and tragic that a person can put their lives on cruise control, fail to substantively question themselves and what life is really about, then die. But whatever. People are free to do as they will, I suppose. It's their loss.

In any event, seeking the services of a good professional therapist is no different than seeking out the services of other professionals. If you have a legal issue, you go to an attorney. If you have car problems, you go to an auto mechanic. If you are sick, you go to a doctor. In other words, there are specialty niches for every profession and service. If you feel you need to go to a therapist, do yourself a HUGE favor, and go to a therapist!

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Great point. I choose to think He gave us intuition to figure out right and wrong for ourselves.