Thread: My new favorite word is "Absolutely!"...

My new favorite word is "Absolutely!"...

...especially when spoken by an SA when I am out shopping en femme as was the case yesterday, and in response to my question regarding being able to try on the dresses and skirt suit that I had just selected from among the racks in the ladies' wear section of my favorite the Bay department store. And this was just before she took the items from my hand, led me to the fitting room area, set me up in cubicle, hung up the items nicely for, told me to "Enjoy!", gave me her name, and told me to be sure to call out to her if I neeeded any further asistance.

This seems to be happening more and more to me these days, which is why I sooo love shopping en femme.

So tell me ladies - when was the last time you got such friendly, personalized service when you were out shopping in guy mode for a men's shirt or pair of pants? Right! Didn't think so, either. As men, we are essentially invisible when it comes to this type of thing...

Leslie,
    That is "Absolutely Awesome". Enjoy!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I think your comparison is not valid. I've always been treated well by helpful sales associates. The difference is the fact that there is more uniformity in male clothing sizes. When I buy a pair of men's jeans it's always the same size (38 waist, 32 in seam). I only try them on because once in a while the size tag was wrong. I usually encounter that issue in the manufacturers' discount outlets. That also does not take into consideration the lack of color choices in jeans. As to shirts, it's always the same neck and sleeve length. Tee shirts and shorts? Not much in color choices.

There are too many variables in buying women's dresses and suits especially due to women's 'vanity sizing.' Is a size ten the same with every line of women clothing? No. The day when a pair of men's size 38 jeans does not measure out to 38 inches, there will be trouble.

I think your sales associates, if not working on salary plus commission, is trying to keep sales up so her hours are not cut.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lisa, Absolutely the biggest problem these days is the lack of SAs' on the floor to save money.

It sounds like you found a great SA.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I would love such a reaction! Congratulations!

You and "Buzz" from the old TV show "Out of this world". That was his favorite word.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

That is really good to hear, Leslie. Unfortunately passing is another issue, hence shopping for femme clothes as a male, or as a male with some femme clothing on (no skirts yet, though), is really the only way I have been able to do this. I will say, however, that I have found a few stores which have some SA's that are open-minded, and have no issue with help me. That is as far as I have gotten so far.
    Di

Platinum Member
    I guess the last time was at Steinmart. I picked out a few cute tops and skirts and was welcomed to the womens' dressing room. SA checked back to see how I was doing and brought a few other items she thought I might like.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Yep there are some ace SA's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    ...especially when spoken by an SA when I am out shopping en femme as was the case yesterday, and in response to my question regarding being able to try on the dresses and skirt suit that I had just selected from among the racks in the ladies' wear section of my favorite the Bay department store. And this was just before she took the items from my hand, led me to the fitting room area, set me up in cubicle, hung up the items nicely for, told me to "Enjoy!", gave me her name, and told me to be sure to call out to her if I neeeded any further asistance.

This seems to be happening more and more to me these days, which is why I sooo love shopping en femme.

So tell me ladies - when was the last time you got such friendly, personalized service when you were out shopping in guy mode for a men's shirt or pair of pants? Right! Didn't think so, either. As men, we are essentially invisible when it comes to this type of thing...
    The last time in guy mode? I was shopping for femme clothing at Monroeville in Pittsburgh on Monday. I shopped in three different stores--Cache, White House/Black Market and Chicos. I got a hug from the SA in each store, and I spent about 45 minutes in the fitting room of each store trying on clothes. These stores know me and expect me to try on clothing. The SA's automatically start a fitting room for me.

Shopping is not only "no big deal", it is down right fun.

Jodi

Hey, Stephanie - a bit of a cold shower from you in that response to my OP, but a girl can dream, can't she...

Sure, many SA's may have a variety of motivators - often money-based - as to why they seem to treat us CDers especially well. But I also think that you missed my fundamental point here. It was the specific use of the word "Absolutely!" by them (often expressed with some degree of enthusiasm) that has me intrigued. Not "O.K.", "sure", "fine", or "certainly" etc., but the emphatic, declaratory response of "Absolutely!" - as in "Why would you even ask me that self-evident question?" THAT's what I find so endearing and what prompted me to post this little anecdote.

As for being treated equally well in male mode when buying men's clothing - that's open to debate IMHO. Maybe in a boutique, dealing with a high-end retailer, or buying a $500+ business suit at a tailor shop where it is in their best interest to treat their customer like someone special. But in your typical department store nowadays, you are lucky if you can actually spot an SA, and luckier still if s/he even has a clue about their stock or store policies. This is a direct consequence of the way most stores have pared down staff and their hours of work in view of our lingering recession, and are relying more and more on casual - and often, demotivated - labor to fill in the gaps.

Jodi, great response as well, but I think that we're comparing apples to oranges here. Your SA's already know you (and in guy mode to boot), are aware that you are a crossdressser, are perfectly fine with that, and have actually become your friends over time. I had that same type of relationship with my GG make up artist before she decided to give up her business and pursue other employment options. But like yours, it was also a personal relationship.

My point was the unexpected pleasure of interacting with total strangers who may or may not have "read" me as a man wearing women's clothing, but treat me with dignity and repect regardless - even to the point of expressing their enthusiasm at having a "unique" customer such as myself to deal with, and by replying in such an assetive and positive manner.
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 03-07-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Glad you had a good experience - i think ladies do treat us better when shopping en fem