Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any legal issue using ladies room?

Any legal issue using ladies room?

Just wondering if there is any legal issue for using ladies room in public places like restaurants or movie theaters when dressing up? Would like to try but don't want anyone call the police on me or anything like that.
    Last edited by Kelly in OC; 03-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    As I understand it, the legal situation varies from one jurisdiction to the next. On the other hand, if you need to use the restroom then you should use the one for the gender you are presenting. Do it with confidence and don't stare or say too much and I doubt that you will have a problem.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Rianna is correct and also, to a limited extent, individual businesses can set their own policy. I am assuming that OC means that you are in California. You generally can use the restroom of the gender that you are presenting as. Do your business and move on though. To be brutally honest, if you creep people out in the ladies room you are going to make it harder for the next transperson that needs to use it. If you are really uncomfortable or think that you can't handle possibly waiting in line with a bunch of GG's to use a stall, then find an individual use restroom.
    Last edited by Debglam; 03-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Debby

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    There can be legal issues, but it depends on the jurisdiction. Is "OC" Orange County? If so the Gender Nondiscrimination Act might apply.

There are many locations that do not have trans-rights laws, but also do not actually have any laws against using the other bathroom. In such locations, the catch-all "disturbing the peace" may be applied, or property owners such as mall management companies might choose to use their private property rights to ban any individual (and basically they can ban for any reason that is not specifically prohibited in law, and it can take a lawsuit for them to even tell you the official reason you were banned).

The province I live in has trans rights laws (as of last year) but does not have gender presentation laws (I haven't seen why not, as gender presentation had been highly recommended for protection.) So a trans person would in theory be protected using the washroom appropriate for their gender, but a cross-gender would possibly not be.

In and out..Wash your hands though and check your self in the mirror,and you are done and gone before anyone cares!!

In New Jersey, transgender folks are protected by law to use the bathroom of their choice. The key words in the law are gender identity and gender expression..

So far, I have never had a problem using the womens room in NJ, New York, or Pennsylvania either.

I believe each state sets it's own rules on use of public restrooms but as it has been stated in past threads you should use the room specific to the gender you present. But there must be some common sense involved such as; ALWAYS SIT, don't linger take care of business, wash up, and get out. The less attention you call to yourself, the easier it will be and much less chance of any complaints.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Silver Member
    The laws can vary greatly from state to state, and locality to locality. It is a good idea to investigate the laws in the area you plan to visit, if you can even find the information. There are laws protecting us in some areas, but they may not protect you from harassment or other trouble.

People's opinions on this vary, but really the safest answer for someone who is nervous is: Use a single user (gendered or unisex) restroom, if at all possible; this will make the issues around using the restroom dressed (whether it is the designated male or female restroom) moot. If you know where you are going, it is a good idea to check out the restroom facilities before you go dressed.

There's always a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Most people would have no problem with trans women using the ladies room. The may enact the letter of the law if you were being a nuisance, lewd, obscene etc. The same would apply to sameone in the 'right' washroom.
    Even tho' ladies use the washroom in groups, if you are with other trans girls, in a white bread place, use the washrooms one at a time. Why provoke the status quo.-Celeste

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Unfortunately some people do Make An Issue. Sometimes it is the GG's "there was a guy in there!"; sometimes it is the store / mall staff liking to push their weight around and assuming that the GG's will consider it a problem when they don't. And you know that sometimes it is racism or classism that triggers the concern, the "he looked like he was up to no good" claim.

But, yup, Trouble is always lurking. Like the fairly transitioned MTF visiting a hospital for a transition-related appointment, went to the female washroom (in according to her gender and her presentation), only to be given a citation for her trouble, with the person refusing to listen to explanations. The city the hospital was in had no gender protection ordinance, but in fact the hospital organization fell under gender protection rules, so the incident should never have happened, but it did (and the citation was eventually cancelled). But the next hospital over, run by a different organization that did was not required to follow those policies, even the doctor's plea that that was indeed the proper washroom for the patient would not have been enough...

Get in, get out and under no circumstances, act weird or militant.
    Works for me and unisex and disabled toilets are my first choice.
    I have no reason toassert my perceived womanhood.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm a tall girl and have never had a problem with restrooms. I go in, do my business, wash my hands, check myself in the mirror, and leave, just as a normal GG would do. I don't use the unisex "family" restrooms because doing so would call more attention to myself than simply acting normal and using the room that matches my presentation.

Kelly, in California you are legally protected in using whatever restroom you feel you need to use. The only danger is that Joe the Mall Cop might not be well versed in the finer points of gender law. Avoid Joe if you can.

Frankly, my biggest worry when using the Ladies' room is finding a clean stall with a supply of paper.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

In the U.k. I believe that the situation is , and this is not based on any legal knowledge what so ever, being that if you are dressed and use the ladies it is perfectly alright unless someone makes a complaint and the police are called then the transgendered person is likely to be charged with a breach of the peace, then again if a transgendered person were to use the mens room the if someone complains then you are open to a possible charge of soliciting, this is my understanding, so I tend to use the unisex disabled toilet it seems to be the safest bet when out.

I think it varies from locality to locality. In Virginia they have a couple laws that could apply. One is called "disturbing the peace" and the police can use it basicaly against anyone for just about anything. The other prohibits anyone from concealing their identity in public. Obviously written to stop masked bank robbers, but dressing as a woman could be considered as a disguise if they wanted to.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly in OC View Post
    Just wondering if there is any legal issue for using ladies room in public places like restaurants or movie theaters when dressing up? Would like to try but don't want anyone call the police on me or anything like that.
    If you really want to know, you will have to check with the police in the town or city you plan on using the ladies rest room in. Laws are different from one jurisdiction to another.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Laws vary state to state, here If you are in Michigan, you are required by law to use the restroom represented on your drivers license

Quote Originally Posted by stephNE View Post
    ... The other prohibits anyone from concealing their identity in public. Obviously written to stop masked bank robbers, ..........
    Many of these laws were passed as a result of the KKK. They often wore masks while doing their deeds.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    If you really want to know, you will have to check with the police in the town or city you plan on using the ladies rest room in. Laws are different from one jurisdiction to another.
    "Hello Podiunk police, is this an emergency?"

"Yes, I need to use the restroom and I need to know if I can use the ladies room?"

"I am sorry but that is reserved you will have to go to Farfield and use the women's room there "

The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Gold Member
    I once clogged up the toilet so bad that they had to call a plumber and they threatened to litigate for the cost of the repairs.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

if you do not feel right or the air is not all that friendly go to a single use restroom. the back of ALL walmarts have this "family room"
    get to lock the door behind you. some ff places have single use as well, as the very fue remaining service stations. and even the gas stations with a (cough) "food" store in them. have single use rooms.

but i have found law or not just acting like a lady gets you a no problem deal.
    but there is always that woman who will give you trouble. but they are very far away most of the time.
    but just get in, do, and get out.

pending a weird law that is a catch all deal (and all states and counties/city's have them) there is nothing wrong with any using a restroom.

As I understand it, in Texas a man may not enter the ladies room without an invitation, and there seems to be some confusion about what constitutes an invitation. I've never had the occasion to use the ladies room, so I'm just repeating what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
    As I understand it, in Texas a man may not enter the ladies room without an invitation, .
    I think maybe you are talking about a different definition. This is probably more about entering the domicile of a woman, not the restroom
    Here is what the ACLU has to say on this (which really doesn't clear anything up)

Does the law protect a transgender person’s right to use the restroom consistent with his or her gender identity?

There’s no clear answer because very few courts have considered this question. The Minnesota Supreme Court has ruled that even a law prohibiting gender identity discrimination does not necessarily protect an individual’s desire to use a gender identity-appropriate restroom at work. In a non-workplace context, a New York appeals court has ruled that it is not sex discrimination to prevent transgender people from using gender identity-appropriate restrooms in a building housing several businesses.

Some government agencies, however, make clear that denying transgender people the right to use a gender identity- appropriate restroom violates their nondiscrimination law. The San Francisco Human Rights Commission, for example, requires businesses and public places to allow all persons to use the restroom of their gender identity so long as they have a current piece of ID that contains the gender marker that corresponds with the facility the person wants to use. Likewise, the New York City Human Rights Commission has issued regulations stating that a business that refuses to allow a transgender person to use a gender identity-appropriate restroom may be violating the city’s nondiscrimination law.

Many businesses, universities and other public places are installing single-use, unisex restrooms, which alleviate many of the difficulties that transgender people experience when seeking safe restroom access.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

In OC in public places you're pretty well safe. Just get in and out and don't make a scene. Also be sure you can pass fairly well. If you're obviously just a man in a dress you're more likely to attract a kind of attention you don't want.

Miriam
    Guidance is available on-line, and it's good to consult these sources before heading out to a new place:
    http://www.transgenderlaw.org/ndlaws/index.htm
    http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/r...nder-employees (with link to local jurisdiction specifics)

Still, no law will protect you from loud-mouthed, prejudiced folks who just want to make your life miserable. Exercise caution at all times.

Miriam

As a few of my forum freinds know,I'm a published freelance writer under the pseudonym of Samantha Byrne Leyte(Samantha B L). I have a article coming out in just about 4 or 5 days in the UK transgender magazine(online)called Frock. The article is all about women's restrooms and my experiences with them. I have a lot of information about women's restrooms mostly in southern Illinois and in St.Louis,Mo.. I use them ocaisionally. I go in,do my business and get out Best to use the women's when the crowd at a store,supermarket or movie theatre is at low ebb and it's best you be looking fairly passable. There is that offchance you could get some sort of police charge hung on you,or at least you could always have the embarrassment of someone hollering "hey you,get out". Generally speaking,women's restrooms are nicer than men's. Use them,but with caution.