Thread: I love my high heels but...

I love my high heels but...

There is nothing better to me than walking around in my high heels. As I do not venture out in public dressed up I am limited to dressing within the confines of our home.

We are looking at buying a new home that wil be a new build. While my wife of 36 years has her list of must haves my list has basically two things. One is a suffiently sized two car garage while the other is the house must be "CD friendly"! By that I mean the window coverings must allow me to be dressed and not seen from the outside and the other is the flooring must allow for high heels.

Therein lies my concerns and question to any of you...we would like some hardwood floors and I am tring to figure out what kind of hardwood does NOT dent under the pressure of high heels? This is supposed to be a common issue for many types of wood floors.

Do any of you have any advise? Our current home is tile and carpet which is not an issue...
    Last edited by NikiMichelle; 03-18-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Not I, I don't know much about the wood used in the floors but I do know how great it is to hear my heels clicking across ours Maybe you should look into having a femme room built for yourself also, like a mancave Have fun!
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Hmmm...that might take a bit of convincing for my wife...my idea is that the whole house will be my femme-dome!

I would think that most floor finishes have an epoxy base that would prevent dents and protect the floor. After all, wooden floors and heels have been around forever. But if you don't want an epoxy finish, I would start looking into hard woods to see which is most commonly used.

Aspiring Member
    No. 2 Red Oak Tongue and groove @ $2.50 sq ft

Benjamin moore Satin finish polyurethane for floors (oil base) around $200.00 4Gal.

Find a good flooring sub in your area

-Donni-
    Last edited by DonniDarkness; 03-18-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Hardwood is pretty hard. Mine have not rented yet. I used to have a pair with a metal heel that might have. Most will not, however. I used to have pine, forget about it.
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Take a look at bamboo flooring. Its a very hard surface and getting to be lower in cost. Also is a renewable resource so its green too!
    http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Ba..._d2/Navigation

Stay away from any veneers or laminates.
    Stephanie

Miriam
    Besides looking at hardening agents and alternative materials, you could also use nice looking rugs in strategic locations that would receive the most high-heel traffic - hallways, bedroom entrance, and so on.

Miriam

Avoid veneers and thin strip flooring. Good solid hardwood floors should be able to weather some high heel traffic.
    Sally

Any hardwood floor will be dent resistant, I would recommend sticking with a pre finished floor, they tend to be much more durable. A high quailty laminate like Pergo also holds up very well ours is 15 years old still no dents from high heels.

Thanks for all the feedback...who else could be better to ask? Our femme sides might overlook such things but our homme sides likely won't!

We have ceder hardwood floors and with rubber tips on the heels it is not a problem.

Ironic you should ask this question now.

I just bought two pairs of shoes. I had the same concern. All of our main floor is hardwood and I don't want to risk damaging it.

One pair are pumps with a stiletto heel. The second is a pair of wedges. Both are 4". The wedges are what I will be wearing on the hardwood for the most part. I'm thinking they will be fairly gentle on the floors.

I got the wedges in the mail today and just finished slipping them on.

You may have to bend a little here.
    It is called compromise, wear a heel with a larger area that hits the floor.
    Spiked heels are even banned in aircraft. If they see them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hey N.M., I just want to say congrats on your venture into a new build. Altough I love hardwoods (being from the Mid Atlaantic area) after being in Southwest Florida for 30 years I have become quite fond of tile and marble flooring. IMO, there's nothing better than hearing the clickety - clack of a pair of heels on a smooth hard surface! BTW, I understand that Bamboo flooring stands up reasonably well to high heel traffic.

Aspiring Member
    Oak is quite hard but if your heels have a metal button on them, it will dent. If you have a rubber/plastic bottom on your heels, it won't dent.

You can Googol it ......and find the hardness of the best for you,stay away from Maple it will dent !
    Don't ask me how I know
    [SIZE="3"] Robin[/SIZE]

I would ask the sale person, about the different type of floors, say you entertain a lot, and want a floor that will hold up. Second a must have for me would be a big walk-in closet one for both me and my wife, and one small closet for my male clothes