Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about being considered a "sissy" by both men and women?

Smile How do you feel about being considered a "sissy" by both men and women?

I for one do often feel like a "sissy" when I dress, and try to think, feel, and act in a feminine way. I feel proud to be a "sissy" because to be a "sissy" means you want to be as much like a woman and unlike a stereotyped male as you can be. How do you feel about it?

It's sort of a derogatory term but in the bedroom it takes on a different meaning. Just like the word mistress can be taken as derogatory. Personally it depends on the person. I like to be the one who does what he (she?) is told in the bedroom and try to take care of my partner/partners needs first. If they'd like to use a name like sissy I don't think that I'd be overly opposed to it.

I'm a GG and I certainly don't consider my SO and other members here sissies ... unless of course they do this for fetish and they want to be considered sissies.

Just to get our labels on the same page, this is how I envision a sissy crossdresser:
    http://www.ldfashions.com

My SO, on the other hand, dresses to blend in with regular GGs when we go out: blue jeans when casual, or regular skirts or dresses. I think of her as a person who engages in cross-gender expression. She identifies as dualgender.

Nothing sissy about it.
    Reine

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Reine's right. A "sissy" is a particular subgenre of crossdresser which I do not fall into. When I'm en femme, I'm being a strong, independant woman, not a sissy. Therefore, anyone calling me one is just making a meaningless noise with their mouth, as Mr. Heinlein said.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

That dress is pretty but it's nothing that I'd wear. I understand that blending in should be a bigger concern but I rather like wearing a nice dress despite what's appropriate socially.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyGaleRT View Post
    Reine's right. A "sissy" is a particular subgenre of crossdresser which I do not fall into. When I'm en femme, I'm being a strong, independant woman, not a sissy. Therefore, anyone calling me one is just making a meaningless noise with their mouth, as Mr. Heinlein said.

- Amy
    I am with Amy. I am an independant woman who gains confidence and stregth every time i venture out into the world as my femme self.

I think too many people paint all CDs with the sissy subculture brush, which is unfortunate.
    Dressing is 10% Paint and 90% ATTITUDE

From all I've read and been informed, a "Sissy" is one who typically puts on the little pink tu tu (or similar) and submits to his wife and her (edited) lover because he is viewed too inadequate to satisfy her sexually. He has to obtain his gratification from watching her in chastity. Therefore, I don't believe myself to be a sissy. I dress as a classy mature woman would and enjoy the look and feel of the clothes and makeup she wears. I wear womens jeans and sandals and a t-shirt when out during the day and a nice skirt, blouse or dress in the evening and I'm not walking around feeling like some kind of sissy.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 03-30-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: keeping at least PG

Ashlyn I think you're confusing a sissy for a crossdressing cuckold.

When my SO calls me a sissy, I take it as a compliment.
    Not when I was a teenager though, I must say!

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemarion View Post
    because to be a "sissy" means you want to be as much like a woman
    I don't get this, to me you are saying that you see women as sissys, well to set the records straight I'm a GG and I'm there is nothing sissy about me at all.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I too agree with ReineD. Some of us dress in the fashions that would be considered sissy, but I too blend with the general population and never feel that I am a sissy. I'm just someone expressing my femininity.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

When I was young, "sissy" was the worst word we knew. You didn't want to be called that, so I really still don't like the term. When I dress I feel like I am moving closer to being a woman, not a sissy. But ReineD's post of the sissy dress is really cute.
    Stephanie

I have one friend (GG) who has moved into the role of big sister on so many different levels it's astounding. I told her (when I was looking at start transition of eat a .303) that I couldn't quite get my mind around this whole thing, I'm not a drag queen, not a sissy, not a flamboyant hairdresser, not interested in RuPauls shows, but I love skirts, heels, makeup, and want to live in them......
    She smiled and said dearheart - I have trained horses, worked on a tall ships top rigging, am a handgun instructor, like woodwork, and look absolutely tremendous in a corset, stockings, gloves, and heels, and I'm not a drag queen either - you're a woman dummy

There are sometimes moments of Zen enlightenment.

If you need to self identify as a sissy, knock your frilly socks, and mary janes off, but that's your definition for you in your life, enjoy the hell out of it, but don't assume anyone else is standing where your do.
    Last edited by rachael.davis; 03-30-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling

I am much closer to "sissy" than I am to "macho" and I'm proud of that fact! Practically everything that's wrong in the world is due to men trying to "out-macho" each other.

It kind of hurts. I'm not 'out', so I hear much more, like being a fly on the wall. Many women make fun of gay guys, as well as guys who crossdress, when what they don't realize is that they're degrading themselves by lowering the importance of their very own behavior. I've tried pointing this out to them, but they simply don't get it. It's the same old double standard this time, but in their favor, so I guess that makes them feel it's perfectly o.k. to hold a man to a different standard just because some men held women to a different standard in the past. THey haven't learned that two wrongs don't make a right......So as much as I wouldn't want to have to have one of those women for a mate, it's still hurts a little, and it's difficult to know that they want nothing to do with me, ever.

edit: I got labeled a sissy for a different reason when I was a kid. Beaten often by an older sister and my older neighbor whenever I tried to defend myself against their tyranny, I learned before I went to school that if you fight back, you get beaten a whole lot more than their initial punch; and all that talk of 'if you stick up for yourself, the bully will respect that and stop; nope, they just enjoy beating you more. So I stopped fighting back. When I started school, the other kids quickly picked up on it, and bingo, I was labeled a sissy, a label that stuck with me through my entire time in public school. Didn't help that I was a late bloomer, and didn't grow 'big' until after I graduated. But boy, was it a nightmare going through school being picked on all the time, and being afraid to stick up for myself because I thought I'd lose any fight I got into.
    Things changed, but too little, too late.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 04-01-2013 at 04:03 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by almostalady View Post
    I was called that a lot when I was a boy. I was smaller then the others and weaker, and if picked on I would run away or cry. So to the other boys I did not fit into their standard and I was a sissy. I didn't like it much. A girl who is like that is just a girl and is ok, a boy like that was a sissy.
    I kind of fell into that catagory when I was fairly young. I was a little sickly and skinny and called a sissy quite often. When we moved to a different
    neighborhood that kind of went away as I made new friends same age as me. To me now I don't like the term and in my cross dressing I like the older
    womens clothing which i try to buy.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Having been a youth 50+ years ago, sissy had a different connotation to Reine's picture. A sissy was any male who wasn't sports crazy, poked fun at the weaker kids and teased the girls.

So (to misquote) I guess that 'if the wig fits, wear it'. Does take a special brave to go out dressed though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemarion View Post
    ... because to be a "sissy" means you want to be as much like a woman ... as you can be.
    Sorry, but this is totally and completely incorrect as most of us understand these terms. Women (GGs) have nothing in common with a sissy CD, nothing. Take your guidance from Sandra and Reine above.

Agree with Michelle. It does take a little bit of moxy for a man to present as a female in public. It's not a sissy thing.

1. As stated before, "sissy" is a subset of crossdressers, that I am not.
    2. We used to call other kids that in aikido, hockey and football when they couldn't take a hit. I am not.
    3. If someone called me that 20 years ago, I would have probably have broken at least a couple of their bones or die trying.
    4. If someone were to call me that now, I would have to walk away to avoid an altercation, I'm too old to go to jail, and with 3 kids around I don't want them behaving or doing the things as I did when I was young. (plus my wife would kill me)

I'm not a sissy but would be willing to give it a try with the right dominatrix. Sissies are submissive which is a sexual fantasy or turn on to some. I'm sure there are various reasons why someone would identify as a sissy. Some may just like the attire, idk.

I think I'm with most of the others here as I do NOT consider myself to be a *shudder* sissy.... For me personally, I kind of see the term as insulting. Ok I see it as really insulting...

If it's someone's thing then I am totally cool with that being their thing. No two of us are completely alike and we are a very diverse group. Personally I like to blend in, present as the gender I wish to be and be accepted as such.

What I dislike is that so many times in general society and in pop culture we are all lumped into this category and it seems to me that it creates a lot of misconceptions about us as a community.

As defined in the community, a sissy is usually a sexualized, fetishistic, exaggerated caricature of femininity, not something I want to be associated with, and quite different from your concept of sissy. Among the general population, it's always been a derogatory term applied to us. Either way, it's not a term I'm comfortable with.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Names never botherd my so I'm a sissy and glad to be.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    I do not consider myself a "sissy", a rather derogatory term nor does my wife consider me a sissy. In guy mode, I am every bit as manly as John Wayne ever was. In girl mode, I'm a basic gal and not a "sissy."