Thread: First time out in public- Going to New Orleans

First time out in public- Going to New Orleans

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and this is my very first post here. I am looking to go out to New Orleans this Friday with my sister and her friend. The thing is though I've never been out dressed in femme before and I'm super nervous!! I'm going to nair my legs tonight(and thursday night) and prob paint my toenails tonight but what other things can I do to help prepare not only physically but mentally too. I'm looking to wear a dress and some ballet flats out there along with a wig, bra, panties, and slip. I've never messed with my voice as far as trying to talk like a woman is there anything special I could do for that? I appreciate any help you girls can send me

-Sarah S.

Hi Sarah and congrats on finding the courage to take this step. I'm so excited for you. I remember my first time and I was so scared and thrilled at the same time that I really couldn't think of much. As far as your voice goes, just talk a lot while alone. See what works for you. Keep in mind that girls tend to "sing" when talking. Practice saying a few things to something feels right. You'll probably discover throughout the night what works and what needs work. That goes for voice, walking, wardrobe and everything else. Don't hold your elbows out like an ape. That's what men do. Hold your elbows against the side of your body and you'll feel more femme. Have fun and be bold. You're in for a great time. Can't wait to hear about it.
    Veronica

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just hang close to them and do what they do.
    The voice takes time to perfect and there is no easy way to tell you how.
    Have fun and be a lady.

Banned Read only
    Sarah, here's some food for thought to prep you mentally: no one really cares. Relax. It's fun once you are out. You're hanging with friends and it is much easier to be out with friends. Dress for the occasion and mirror your friends attire. You'll have a blast.

I'm glad you're going out. Try to relax and go with the flow. About that voice...with your friends, just talk a little quieter. With waiters, bartenders etc. well, it's your maiden voyage, do your best , talk quietly and DON'T try to put on a high femme voice. That'll come. Enjoy youself-Celeste

Banned Read only
    Hi Sarah,

You should have zero problems in New Orleans. Along Bourbon street and stuff - NOBODY will care. It is a party place, and people don't really care what you wear to party in. They have seen it all there. Believe me - you can wear the craziest thing you can think of, and you'll still probably only hit about 10% of the most extreme thing they've seen there. It is an excellent place to go out for the first time, in my opinion. I'm sure they'll treat you great.

What you are planning to wear sounds nice. I would think you're going to have an awesome time.

Paula

My first time out on Bourbon St, I wore something similar except I had 4" heels instead of flats. It wasn't my first time "out" so the heels weren't a problem for me though. Paula is absolutely right in that Bourbon St is a very "safe" place to make your debut. Just follow the same safety rules you would if you were gong in guy-mode and you should be fine. Stay with your group. Avoid getting so schnockered you lose your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings. Also be aware that in girl-mode you do need to be a little more cautious as you may be viewed as an easier target, but you should still have a great time.

As to your voice, try speaking from your upper chest and nose instead of deep in your chest and gut an you should be fine. Most places you're going to have to yell to be heard anyway. Avoid using a deep bass or baritone and no one will likely notice the difference.

Have fun and be sure to report back!

I have found NOL an easy place to get around whilst dressed.
    Like any girl, stay out of those dark streets that run off Burbon St at night.
    Yep! they sure are dark.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Sarah: I'm a New Orleans native and I can confirm what others have said here that NOLA is a very friendly place to go out en femme. You should have a good time.
    I would recommend a couple of things to do to get ready....
    Consider going to a salon en femme to have your eyebrows waxed, mani and pedi and a makeover so that you will look you absolute best when you go out. This will help your confidence and you can know that you have done everything that you possibly can to look as good as possible. I went to a salon and had hair (not an issue for you if you are wearing a wig), nails and makeup done before going out for the first time and it was a great experience.
    As to your voice, not hearing it I can just suggest that you let your sister and friend do most of the talking when possible and when you do speak try to speak softer. Don't try to attempt a high-pitched exaggerated female voice; just try to do a softer and quieter version of your regular voice.
    Best of luck to you and have a great trip.