Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobody cares about your crossdressing as much as you THINK they do

Nobody cares about your crossdressing as much as you THINK they do

For those who are nervous or simply too afraid to go out in public while xdressed, I wanted to share something that might inspire you. Put quite simply, nobody cares about xdressers or your xdressing as much as you might THINK they do. Here's what I mean.

When I did my first makeover by a pro makeup artist, I was astonished. I sat in front of her mirror and was blown away. I didn't even recognize myself. I couldn't get over the transformation. My cheeks hurt I was smiling so strongly. I didn't know what to do next. I'd scheduled the makeover because I was curious about what it would be like, but I hadn't planned on going out in public. I was too scared. It never even crossed my mind. What if somebody I know sees me? It's a valid concern shared by many, but in retrospect, it seems so silly. I said **** it and walked into a store just to experience it. That was wild. A lot of people looked at me discretely, but nobody marched over and said, "Hey, I know you." LOL.

I'm in Los Angeles after all. There are 12million people here. And even if someone I knew happened to walk or drive by, so what? I don't even recognize myself. How on earth would they recognize me? It's simple paranoia at work. We think everyone is searching for us and trying to find us when the fact is that very few people are actually thinking about us at all.

Ask yourself this, when you go out alone and you're not dressed up, how often are you just bumping into friends by coincidence? Probably not much. If you do, then don't go to those places when you're dressed up. And even if you did, most people go through life on auto pilot. They're either staring at their smart phone or talking on it. Nobody is out looking for you in xdressing clothes.

And then there's the club scene. Many are too afraid to go to CD or gay friendly clubs. Why? Once again it's usually paranoia about being seen. What if someone from work sees me? Guess what, nobody goes to gay or CD friendly clubs to out anybody. If you see someone at a club that you know, chances are they're being just as discrete.

When I started going out in Los Angeles to CD friendly venues like Shine, Hamburger Mary's and others, I was amazed at how friendly, supportive and accepting everyone was. All the CDs seem so happy to be out. It's like a birtday party. Nobody is in a bad mood. Everyone is complimenting each other on their clothes, their makeup, asking where they bought their shoes. Everyone introduces themselves and asks about you. Nobody's trying to dissect you and find out who you "really" are. It's fantastic. In all my years of going to bars and clubs even as far back as college, I've never had as much fun as when I go out in the CD scene. Even if I'm just standing alone having a drink, it's great.

My point is this, if you're on the fence, give it a shot. The fear, excitement, joy and thrill all combine for a super fun experience. I'm completely comfortable going out at night dressed. I still get nervous, still wish my makeup was better, but I always get excited, and the thrill I get out of that beats anything I ever enjoyed in guy mode. Just wanted to share that.

All is true.

Still, it may affect peoples' marriages.

Banned Read only
    Very well said Veronica! Yes, for first timers, just go to a shopping plaza. dont do the malls right away until the confidence is built up. Go to a Starbucks before the womans clothing stores. Do this in a safe suburb on a sunday or early during the week on a week day and JUST HAVE FUN I go out all the time now. I even just go out as jeff wearing womens clothes, just uggs, sneakers, basic jeans and a hoodie onder a light jacket NO ONE EVEN NOTICES AT ALL im cross dressing

Take a look around

When we shop in grocery stores I person the shopping cart and coupon box as my wife collects the various goods. I spend my time people watching and I want to assure you that the variety of GGs and their wide-ranging choices in clothes, accessories, shoes, hair styles and makeup have lead me to believe that by just putting forth a modest effort and dressing appropriately anyone without a beard can “pass” to the degree to be looked at as one of the ladies.

Hold your head up, focus on what you are doing and don’t worry (or look like you are up to something – you might catch the eye of the loss control staff) Just get on with living and enjoy yourself.

Julie H

That's a great point, Nathalie and we both know that's a completely different issue. Keeping this private from family members and spouses is something else, and I wouldn't recommend xdressing at home if the spouse or SO is not cool with it. LOL. Yes, that would raise an eyebrow.

Banned Read only
    i rather be single and honest and if im not accepted to date, even if i dont dress around her, well, im better off hasving female friends to do my girl stuff with. I never came out with my dressing till I turned 30, back in 2009. when im read to date, ill but a picture of me both ways on a site and look for BI women. its all about compromise. just know me for the person i really am and give me the chance to compromise.

Silver Member
    I don't know if I would go to a shopping mall on Sundays. In some cities it is a young teen hang out then. I do agree that most people could care less that you are xdressing. Take your time and visit where you would like to go discreetly a week or so to see what the traffic is.

Banned Read only
    check out different areas as guy first, then figure it out. I just came to the point I DONT CARE! PEOPLE ARE ALL IDIOTS WE ARE NOT! REALLY!! it takes SO LITTLE for people to get a laugh?? GROW UP NOW..

I so love malls, as daughters teens friends are normally late waking up, I used to stop around 11am or move to an art gallery / museum.
    Daughter wants to take me to church to show me off, I'm not really a church person
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Read only
    i learned that the hard way LOL usually im just in uggs, jeans jacket, sometimes i wear the wig and make up, sometimes not. somehow, im even LESS noticable as guy when i wear uggs and a womans coat. HUMMM ??? whats up with that LOL ?

YOU ARE SOOO right!!! I learned that this weekend and plan on letting Mandi out as often as possible! My gf and I broke up a few weeks before (unreleated) but even friends are like ... "who cares, I'm not surprised"
    Mandi Li

My town is much smaller than LA and I know a LOT of people. If I step out it will be in another town.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I must agree heartily with part of your post, Roni. Going out to CD friendly venues with girl friends is such a hoot! And, I'm never worried about running into anyone who knows the drab me.

On the other hand, I was nearly knocked over coming around a corner in a shopping center parking lot just yesterday by my daughter's high school coach. Which is why going out dressed to vanilla venues by myself is something I have no desire to do. It's NOT fun. Simply nerve racking.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Well said the fear is in your head propagated by you and only you.
    People don't care really plus they are busy with their daily doings.
    I have seen people I know and actually made eye contact a few times and have never heard a word out of them.
    I ran into my neighbor last Sunday at the grocery and passed her in several aisles she never even looked twice at me.And she is the nosy neighbor that watches everybody.
    Getting out and about is really a fun thing whether a mall or a CD club or trans event its all good 99% of the time.
    For those who are thinking about going out try the next Pride event in your town that is a very safe venue for a first timer.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 04-03-2013 at 01:13 AM.

I agree that fear is internal, but I'll add that fear is what stops us from doing unreasonable things.

For example, I'm pretty well known in my suburb and when I walk through the local mall in male mode I'll often be recognized by someone. I could probably get away with it en femme but the consequences are too great. It's not that hard to maintain a "no-fly zone" and limit my CDing to places where the chances of being recognized are very small. That keeps things much simpler and while it has some disadvantages (the only nearby Dress Barn is inside my NFZ) having that layer of safety has served me well.

In general, however, most of the public remains quite oblivious to me when out and about. I get the same looks as any tall woman and folks quickly stop paying attention when they realize that I'm not all that attractive. People in general aren't playing "spot the CDer" and pretty much go by their first impression. If it has breasts, long hair, and makeup, it's a girl.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Need to pick the right time and place though I think..

Haaaa. Love it. A day at the mall. I haven't had that experience yet. It's fun to learn what others are into. I don't fear the public as much as I fear bright lights. A dimly lit room is my best makeup tool.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronicatally View Post
    My point is this, if you're on the fence, give it a shot. The fear, excitement, joy and thrill all combine for a super fun experience. I'm completely comfortable going out at night dressed. I still get nervous, still wish my makeup was better, but I always get excited, and the thrill I get out of that beats anything I ever enjoyed in guy mode. Just wanted to share that.
    Im so happy for you Veronica. In time Ill experience that feeling also. The anticipation is my catalyst for this venture

I agree in principle but there are some cautions I would still practice.
    Not shopping locally springs to mind straight away.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Mystic Lady
    Glad you enjoyed my post. OMG, some of my BEST days ever were spent in Austin. I've a special place in my heart for that city. It's second only to LA as the most enjoyable places I've lived. I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear about your experiences.
    V

Banned Read only
    i go where ever i want and locally, i just tell people im transgender and cannot afford the transition and i do like being a guy to. Have my cake and eat it to..?? not where people already know me as JEFF i cant use the ladies roon, just to put on lip stick. I got yelled at today BY A MAN GO FIGURE LOL! none of the women said anything. They understand us as they see us out n about. I went to a group with a friend in recoverey for support and people got to know jeff. I went as jen for the first time. that went pretty well, execpt for only one idiot, at least he had the decency after the meeting to pick that bone with me as i was leaving. that didnt spoil my night.

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    Nobody cares anymore too many people.
    Pinkessence Transliving Urnotalone

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Excellent post Veronica. Very well done dear.

As far as shopping malls go, I hate them in drab and can't see why that feeling would be any different in drag!

Go out! When was the last time you saw somebody you knew when you were out boy or girl mode? Answer: Rarely if ever. So why should they all appear because you are dressed as a woman? If they saw you they probably would not recognise you as it is not what they expect to see. If you see them first it is easy to avoid them just dive into a ladies toilet or something. If they see and recognise you and even approach you is it the end of the world? Answer: No. At least after that you will not need to hide it from them anymore.

A CDer needs to get out and about else they are just a prisoner in their own homes whilst en-femme and their female clothes are just a prison uniform.

Maria
    The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

Banned Read only
    The OMGH reations, people are NOT making fun of us. This is something thyat isnt seen evreyday. Just SMILE ask where they got there purse etc etc. also the OMG is just how well we corrindante out outfits THIS IS FUN NOW I want to go out again today