Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True story and I'm still crimson

Green_Eyed_Polock's GG NurseSamGG's Avatar

Red face True story and I'm still crimson

I am a health care provider and in my line of work I meet many interesting people. And on the VERY rare occasion I meet someone who is Truly Fascinating!!! Yesterday was that day for me! I wanted to share to lighten things up and hopefully bring a smile to those who choose to read my post.

I had a brand new patient on my schedule late afternoon recently for reasons I can not disclose due to privacy protection laws. Anyways, it is standard just in about every medical setting to obtain some history. As I entered the exam room I found my patient to be an attractive, middle aged woman who was dressed in very good taste. I introduced myself and her to me. I began my routine history taking as normal.
    "I understand your here today for blah blah how long has this been going on, what if any medications do you take, and are you allergic to any medications. ..etc. .." this went as smooth as could be no long list of medications or allergies to really note.
    So, I moved forward with my medical interview on to what we call the Review of Systems, in the medical field. I asked multiple questions and noted down any complaints or abnormalities she had to report on each major organ sysytem.

I get to reproductive (If you are sly you get where this is headed, apparently I am not that sly...LOL.)
    I ask "Can you tell me when you last menstrual period was." Her reply was simply "Oh, I don't have one" I nod my head an say "Oh, ok are you post menopausal then?" Again, very eloquently she reponds with a smile "Oh, honey I don't have those parts" I move forward determined to get my history and I smile back and ask "I understand so then can you tell me when was your hysterectomy?" She then looked at me smiled even bigger and with a wink dropped her voice and chuckled replying " Well, haven't had one of those either but does my vasectomy count?"
    I think I turned every shade of red possible and since I am a little witty I quickly respond back with "Alright then I guess we'll just leave the PAP and stir-ups out of this exam then." She beamed and laughed and replied with"My dear you are a delight and to answer you yes I would greatly appreciate it if we did leave that part of the examination out."
    She honestly warmed my heart and my cheeks
    About an hour or so later she returned with a bouquet of flowers for me
    And said "This is from one lady to another, you are truly a doll, I have never experienced any Doctor to be so kind and considerate of me as a woman or as a person." I beamed at her and said "I was truly my pleasure and I have never had a patient make me blush as you have darling."

Sometimes the most ordinary of days can turn into the most extraordinary! I was truly blessed to have this lady walk in on my day and brighten it. She was a true gem. And the best thing is I have gained a patient who can feel free to be herself with her health care provider!

On a very brief side note I am a true professional and uphold Doctor-Patient confidentiality in the most highest regard. That being said. I did a patient call back today to this lovely lady to see how she was feeling. And I asked her at the end of the conversation if she wouldn't mind me sharing our encounter, without any identifying information, as it truly lightened my heart. She laughed and said "My dear how could I even think to deny your request, I trust that you would not give away my identity, and yes please do share." She said " I myself am still smiling over it, I think your laughter is almost as good as you medicine!" I explained I wanted to post this story on a TG friendly site and she said "That's even better"
    I don't know if she is on this site or not but if you are my dear please message me, you are a delight to know!

Xoxo....Sam
    Last edited by NurseSamGG; 04-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Our deepest wishes are the whispers of our authentic selves.....respect them and learn to listen.

Junior Member Kimberly Michelle's Avatar
    Way COOL! Both people handled themselves in a splendid manner, and you NurseSamGG deserve a reward not only for being so professional but even more for being an exceptional person!!

I think it is wonderful when we can take a lend of each other like that.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Truly a lovely story, thanks for sharing!

Banned Read only
    Sam, you are awesome!

What a great little story. Always good to see a situation like that handled with goodwill and a little humor

Thanks for sharing this lovely story. It is very encouraging to know that there are people like you in the world!
    Hugs, Carole

I really enjoyed you sharing that Hon. You are a beautiful lady in your own right, red cheeks and all.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Made my day, Sam!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Sam, you are such a sweetheart. If only healthcare had many more sweet souls like you! XO

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Michelle View Post
    Way COOL! Both people handled themselves in a splendid manner, and you NurseSamGG deserve a reward not only for being so professional but even more for being an exceptional person!!
    Yeah.And not only for that,but for that great comeback.Rodney himself wouldn't have thought of that!!XOBarbara

A very nice story.

Hope for us all..

What a great story, Sam. It's awesome that you handled it the way you did,; you made a patient comfortable and probably a "repeat" customer...
    Who knows, maybe she turns out to be a friend as well.
    You're awesome.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

A great post Sam. What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing

That's an awesome story Sam. Thank you for sharing it. I too am in heathcare but work as a nurse. I've wished I could find a doctor that I could work for as a woman but probably will never be that lucky. Again, great story!

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    A wonderful story about/from two wonderful people. It would be truly marvelous if everyone could be as kind and thoughtful as you, Sam. I hope you made a friend. At the least you made what might well have been a worrisome encounter into a life remembrance for you both.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Were only there more like you, sweet Sam. Our lives would be so much more fulfilling. Bless you.

Banned Read only
    Sam.................Youre a wonderful human being. Do you have a sister thats avaliable. Just kidding. Great story

A new hospital is being built in our little town. Would you care to relocate??? (j/k)

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Great story! I hope I end up with a doctor as cool as you when the time comes. It's obvious you made her day.

Sam.... you are truely a professional and a great human being. I really enjoyed your story and hope all your days go well. You certainly made her day. We are all blessed that you have chosen to be a part of this site....

Renne......

Banned Read only
    That's a delightful story Sam. Having read your post, it's impossible not to like you

Dear Sam, thank you for sharing this story! I wish that you were my doctor! I am fortunate to have a very good female doctor, but I have not had the courage to go to her as Patti. She seems to be open minded, so someday I will do it. Knowing that there are beautiful people like you in healthcare is very comforting.
    Xoxo....Patti

Oh! That's made my day Sam!

Your patient sounds like a good one too! When you next see her, maybe, ( if your lucky husband agrees ) arrange a date between the 3 of you as friends? Or 4, if she has a partner?

Please, if you can, keeps us updated with any further meetings.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.