Thread: So impressed with traditional japanese kimono

So impressed with traditional japanese kimono

So today was the national cherry blossom festival. Its always fun so I went down. Quite by accident i came across a demonstration by the Washington DC kimono society.

While the style of the traditional garb is beautiful in its own right the fabrics and intricacy of these outfits was gorgeous. Embroidered silks and satins.... I didn't drool (I don't think) but I did have this dumb awed smile on my face.

Kimonos always look stunning to me, and so comfortable

They are, so are happis! My son wears a happi to bed. My daughter dances in Obonodori every year and grandma used to make her silk ones, now she dances for grandma at Obonodori and buys ones in patterns my mom used to make. A good custom one can run a thousand US. including the Obi, but you can get basic ones for about a hundred bucks at a Japanese store or online.

Jennialy,

That must be really neat to be that close to such an elegant and different culture. Is the dancing part of a local community or is it just your family?

Kimonos and traditional Japanese and Chinese costumery are very ornate.
    I had an opportunity to wear a cheong sam once.
    It was so close fitting that I could not sit down.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It's a Japanese festival to honor those who have passed away. Most Buddhist temples host them in the States, usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August.

Jennialy,

Thanks for the info. Do they usually permit observers? (spectator sounds crude at a religious festival) If so I will have to look uo a local temple.

yes they usually do, and there are tons of people who just join in all the time, while maybe not a guy in a kimono, but a Happi coat, regularly, or even street clothes. They are usually weekend long festivals.
    Not sure where in Maryland you are but Google came up with this
    http://www.japansocietyboston.org/Ev...e=EventDetails

wonder if people look at referers ;-)