Thread: seriously crappy day

seriously crappy day

As any one in Ontario knows, we got pounded by flying ice, torrential rain, as about all the badness nature could throw at us in the last 48 hours. Yesterday my basement sprung a leak, but the sump pump was doing it's job. Ice covered branches started falling on my roof. Driveway became impassable with sheer ice.
    This morning- Flying ice/rain mix is hitting my house sideways. Pump just can't keep up. Then the power goes out. I'm frantically getting everything off my basement floor, as the water is coming at me from all directions. Over seventy guitar cases to carry upstairs, and I've only got my dinky single battery flashlight. Now the trees start to fall. They sound like gunshots, as they can't bear the weight of the ice. Three fall in my backyard, then a big one, right on top of one of my equipment trailers. Luckily it's just full of lighting trusses, so really just buckled the roof.
    About 3:00 the temp. rose, and the ice turned to rain. Power came back on, and basement started draining. Wierd sound as huge slabs of ice slid off the roof, tearing off gutters, and satelite dish as they went. Too cold and wet to start any kind of cleanup outside, and I had to get to the music store before closing.
    I got dressed really quickly. Jeans, flats, back to my winter coat, five minute makeup, and three minute hair. Grabbed my purse and out the door. Next, I'm confronted with a vaguely car shaped block of ice, and a 1/4mile of slippery hell to get to the road. Good driving, good tires, and grim determination and I made it out.
    I finished my errands without incident, went to my coffee shop to meet a couple of girls friends, decompress, and girl talk. No power. Drank lukewarm coffee by candlelight. Friends are a no-show.
    In walks a shabby-chic college student, who grabs a peligrino and sits at the next table, fires up his laptop, only to find out wi-fi is out. I started some small talk about the weather, and he looked at me and said 'You're wearing girls clothes'. Normally things like that don't phaze me, but I just stood up, said 'Yeah, I hate it when that happens', and I left. Just not a good day.
    I hope all of you Southern Ontario girls faired better than I did. Happy spring.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    OMG!!! at least you are safe sweetie and the guitars too.LOL
    I hope there isn't too much damage outside.Keep us updated please.

I guess you weren't kiddin' about it being a crappy day! Even in all the years I spent in Wisconsin I can't touch that one. Well,the main thing is you didn't get hurt.That ice can be a killer. Seventy guitars?You must really be into music.So am I. Glad you're OK.Barbara Maria

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Welcome to Canada, This morning there was 5cm, 2in, on the ground in my region, with the forcast saying another 15cm, 6in, over the next 24 hrs. As I said welcome to Canada!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Holy S, Celeste! I've read about stuff like that, but didn't believe it ever happens in real life!

I meant your weather. Lot's worse girl stuff happens to me when I go out!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 04-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Omg hope it doesn't get any worst your luck has to turn around this weather stinks.

I think I would have wanted to wrap the laptop around his ears.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

And I was moaning about our bit of cold drizzly rain today ( makes my ashamed to be a moaner about the weather) How do you cope with such weather. I will never moan again , OK maybe a bit when I have forgotten what you have to put up with
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Such bad weather this year. I hope the better is coming. Hang in there TGceleste!
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I think I would have wanted to wrap the laptop around his ears.
    Initially that was my reaction, that or to inform him I'd rather be wearing girl clothes than wrapped in the mantle of @sshole he obviously was.

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    In walks a shabby-chic college student, who grabs a peligrino and sits at the next table, fires up his laptop, only to find out wi-fi is out. I started some small talk about the weather, and he looked at me and said 'You're wearing girls clothes'. Normally things like that don't phaze me, but I just stood up, said 'Yeah, I hate it when that happens', and I left. Just not a good day.
    Probably about the single most hurtful thing he could have said or done on top of the rest of your day. I do wonder if my initial reaction was too strong since I wasn't there to hear whether he was surprised and processing or just being a turd about it.

In any event I hope your days get better with a quicknes!
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

With all that happening and you made time to go out for coffee. WOW

Sorry, I am a California girl and flying ice is what happens when you spill a drink.

In Ontario, is that when the accumulated ice on wires and branches is blown around because of wind - if so, I can appreciate how dangerous that can be. Glad you are safe.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

...I got to admit, I feel crappy right now too. I was really feeling good to see spring finally arrive and then bam....this crap. And it seems everyone is in crappy mood too! Weird. ...get a battery backup for your sump pump!
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by mikiarata View Post
    Sorry, I am a California girl and flying ice is what happens when you spill a drink...
    ...yes, and especially when the earth tremors start, and the San Andreas fault line in California starts to get twitchy...not to mention the annual out-of-control brush fires and all those mega-million-dollar mansions going up in smoke in the Hollywood hills on a regular basis, or else sliding into the Pacific once the torrential rains start.

And do send us a postcard from that chunk of California that you happen to be located in once it separates from the mainland after the next earthquake, and drifts out to sea.

Bottom line - no place on Earth is safe from Mother Nature's fury once she decides to go ape-sh*t on us. Fire, rain, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, snow, earthquakes, tsunamis - you name it - it's all in her repertoire. It all comes down to picking your poison relative to where you happen to live and taking your chances accordingly...

Back when I was a kid the TV show Hee-Haw had a skit that always used the same song:

Gloom despair and agony on me.
    Deep dark depression excessive misery.
    If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
    Gloom despair and agony on me.

Canada..Weather sucks, blame Starbucks! if mad your hopping, time to go shopping!!

Platinum Member
    Perfect response! Sorry about all the tribulations. Spring will arrive eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    And do send us a postcard from that chunk of California that you happen to be located in once it separates from the mainland after the next earthquake, and drifts out to sea.
    Fortunately, while the San Andreas fault line is only 5 miles from my house, I live on the east side of the fault line. So, while I won't fall into the ocean, there is a chance I might end up with an ocean view !
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiarata View Post
    Fortunately, while the San Andreas fault line is only 5 miles from my house, I live on the east side of the fault line. So, while I won't fall into the ocean, there is a chance I might end up with an ocean view !
    Well, that'll certainly increase your property value considerably once the initial debris is cleared away.

I am in the high desert here in SoCal. I have been through rainstorms, mudslides, forest fires, several earthquakes, and worst of all decades of brain dead politicians.

That is why I am getting my happy lil butt back to Texas and I am already designing a very robust power system for the house that can weather damn near anything.

Platinum Member
    Hi Celeste, When that @$$ hole said that you should've said that the power was out and that you
    got dressed in the dark and then wrap his laptop around his fat head.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Celeste, When that @$$ hole said that you should've said that the power was out and that you
    got dressed in the dark and then wrap his laptop around his fat head.
    Not very lady like, but very effective.

Do what I do! When life throws lemons at me I make lemonade Then I go out and find someone that life threw Vodka at and have a party!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone: