Thread: Seattle Sizing Help?

Seattle Sizing Help?

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1" 220lbs, facial hair, tats, etc. come across pretty manly if I don't say so myself, but I've longed to dress for some time now.

I've read plenty of sizing guides and conversions online, but to be honest I'm still pretty confused about it all and don't know where to turn.

Hoping to find a sort of mentor who wouldn't mind letting me know what sizes to go for, and any other tips, tricks, etc.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-21-2013 at 03:35 AM. Reason: the original post wa sasking in a specific city for a meeting...mot allowed in MtF area

Even knowing your measurements....somtimes it's best to try items on before you buy them....as they are cut differently from one company to another.....with internet ordering it's a shoot in the dark....ordered some dresses off ebay and by measurerments they were supposed to fit but were one size too small.
    Welcome to the forum

Silver Member
    Buy some cheap items at Walmart. If they don't fit, easy to return.

If you want to spend some money, try http://www.emeraldfantasy.com/

Also, look for Meetup groups and go to a meeting. You will find friendship and help.

Good luck and have fun.

Buy clothes from a big department store that has a good return policy and work out your size from that.
    You can always try clothes on if you are prepared to do so.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm about the same (6'0, 200 lbs).

Something I know and use, if you want to know your size in girl's pants, take your men's waist (Mine is 34) and subtract 21. I wear a 13 in women's pants, and find that its the same for most everyone else. Shirt sizes for me tend to be about the same, I don't know a trick with those, but I wear a large shirt in men's and a large in women's seems to work (still havn't found out what the numbers on the tag mean, but what ev's). For shoes, I hear you take your mens shoe size and add 1.5 or 2 to it (depending on the shoe). I wear 13 in men's shoes, but having a hard time finding a shoe style I like in that big of a shoe.
    Last edited by Asp; 04-21-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to say how fat I was.

Aspiring Member

Try before you buy...

The variation in feminine clothing sizes is the stuff of legend; and usually drives GGs absolutely bonkers. Trying things on before you buy is about the only way to find well-fitting clothing.

That said, what to do? Find a store like Kohl's and select a few garments you want to try and walk from the Women's section to the Men's and use the try-on rooms there. I do this all the time and have never had a problem. The SA's are friendly and your only risk is having another male shopper notice the garment you are carrying. The solution to this is to get one of the Kohl's carts and put your "different garments" is it. You can actually try on clothing at any store but you may have to get a tag for the number of items from the try-on room attendant. I've never had any problem with any of them but it did require an 'attitude adjustment' on my part to do this the first time.

Good luck and welcome to the community,
    Sandra1746

Banned Read only
    start my measuring yourself. You'll notice your proportions don't line up with the women's dress sizes. Your chest is larger, hips a lot smaller. Every shopping site will offer dimensions in inches in their size guide. Remember every maker will vary. It's really quite hard for women. My wife is an 6, 8 or 10 depending on the maker. Trial and error my friend. Height doesn't matter so much, so don't worry there.

I will add to the chorus saying women's clothing sizes vary a lot. Measuring yourself will get you close, but trying on clothes is the only sure fire way to find the best fit for individual garments. I vary over two sizes in the S, M, L, XL sizing scheme and three sizes in pants, skirts and dresses. I also vary over two shoe sizes. Clothes look very different on the hanger versus on your body which is another reason to try clothes on. As mentioned, many department stores have open dressing rooms so you can grab some women's clothing, place a man's item on top if you want to hide it, and try on the clothes. I suggest not leaving the women's clothing in the men's dressing rooms since this may draw some attention or comments.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    If you don't shop in person and only buy online (like I do), try to get exact measurements. I'm 6-2 and about 280#, and I can fit into a size 20, 22 or 24 dress depending on the cut.

I am responding on the assumption that you are asking about what size clothes to purchase for some early experiments in crossdressing. While a lot of the ladies have given you good advice on shopping at retail merchants, that can get expensive. If you are just in the testing phase, the best, and least expensive way to get a wardrobe started is to go to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store and try clothes on. The places are full of stuff that Gender Women have purchased and outgrown with minimal wear. If it's impossible for you to do that type of shopping, and you want to keep the cost down, I would suggest that you go to EBay and just type Crossdresser clothes in the Search page. That will direct you to a surprisingly large number of shops that specialize in selling used women's clothing to crossdressers. I have found that usually you can either email or phone chat with people at these shops and they will give you some good advice on what sizes you should be wearing. A couple of times, some of them have even looked at their stock and measured items for me while I was on the phone. Obviously, if you use this resource etiquette dictates that you actually buy some merchandise.

I bought many items for less than five bucks at both thrift stores and EBay outlets, and from that learned how to shop for myself without the need to try garments on in fitting rooms. At that price, if the stuff doesn't work for me I do what the Gender Girls do, put it in the in-box at the thrift store. It's sort of amusing to go and find items I've purchased and give back on the racks.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Buy some cheap items at Walmart. If they don't fit, easy to return.

If you want to spend some money, try http://www.emeraldfantasy.com/

Also, look for Meetup groups and go to a meeting. You will find friendship and help.

Good luck and have fun.
    I would like to second the Walmart vote.
    Find your size... get a general idea... don't spend a lot...
    Once you know what you like and about what your size is you can go shopping more.
    Remember, you have always been you.
    Perhaps you just haven't always looked like you.

My favorite quote:

"no matter where you go there you are"