Thread: New visit with my therapist

Aspiring Member

New visit with my therapist

A few years ago I began seeing a holistic therapist for anxiety and depression. She was great using the usual talk, and EMDR and circular breathing to help me resolve some issues. She also knows about my experiences being a CD and possibly TS. We really didn't get into those issues. We ended my sessions over a year ago but I want to go back and explore my gender issues and how to make the best of it. I have sent a message to her. I want to go dressed.

I'm 60. I just would like your suggestions. Her office in a small quiet town is usually empty when I've gone there. I don't plan to wear a wig or makeup for a morning appointment but I'd like to at least present myself, well, as myself in feminine attire. I have women's stretch waist jeans and a nice pair of lime green pants. I really have to wear loose maternity style tops because shamefully my gut has gotten too big. Now that better weather is here on the east coast I could wear my white strap sandals on knee-high nylon stockings.

Any suggestions?

Cheryl Ann

Cheryl Ann,
    I feel an appropriate hair do is needed as is some makeup.
    You do need to look nice.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree. A wig and makeup. If you can't swing the wig, an inexpensive girl hhat from K mart or WalMart.

I've gone to several different therapists dressed, but presenting full female. Even though the offices were small, I always brought everything I needed and changed in the bathroom, and then changed back after the session.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-23-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: no need to quote the post above yours
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Ann Owens View Post

Any suggestions?
    Dress all the way or not at all.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I agree. A wig and makeup. If you can't swing the wig, an inexpensive girl hhat from K mart or WalMart.

I've gone to several different therapists dressed, but presenting full female. Even though the offices were small, I always brought everything I needed and changed in the bathroom, and then changed back after the session.
    Both of you gals have given me some great advice! The trip there is along a quiet country road, and if I really had to I could slip on my wig in the bathroom there before ******* came to greet me in the waiting area like she has. I SOOOO want to do it this way and present myself as a woman by finding the courage to be who I am! It would also give me a chance to try a simple RLT in an easy way before I go further. You gals rock!

Cheryl Ann

I do have a nice white loose top that is oh so feminine that I could wear!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by famousunknown View Post
    Dress all the way or not at all.
    Yes, I'm going for it! I can't hide who I am!

I’ve gone to see my Therapist several time enfemme, always fully dressed with wig, makeup, and some casual jewelry. My Therapist’s office happens to be in a three story medical center and it is always crowded and I have to walk through a large lobby to get to the elevators. On the third floor I generally have to stand in line in order to check in and then wait to be called for my appointment in a small waiting area, which is never empty. My Therapist always looks to see how I’m dressed and if I’m dressed enfemme addresses me as Barbra, rather than by my male name, and says I can come in now. This month she noted that I hadn’t been to see her as Barbra and reiterated that I am welcome dressed enfemme at any time.

I have to admit that it is a bit un-nerving walking into a busy medical center and I always feel like I’m the center of attention. I’m not really out and about; the only exceptions have been to see my Therapist and to attend some meetings of a local TG support group. I have never heard anyone make a comment and the staff has always been very polite. I dress casual, women’s jeans or a skort, sandals, and a nice casual blouse. Well I did wear a dress, pantyhose, and heels once because Kelly asked me to come in a dress or a skirt, but I feel more comfortable in casual attire. Most of the women I see in the building are in casual attire, generally more casual than I feel comfortable in. I’ve been thinking that maybe I should let Barbra go to the May meeting.
    Babs

Platinum Member
    I'd agre that if you're going, go a bit farther and add a little daytime makeup.

I met with my therapist Monday and out of the blue she asked when she will get to meet Miki. She has seen pictures so knows what to expect. I am thinking about this coming Monday but I, like Cheryl Ann, have questions about what to wear.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Ann Owens View Post
    I SOOOO want to do it this way and present myself as a woman by finding the courage to be who I am! It would also give me a chance to try a simple RLT in an easy way before I go further.
    Hi Cheryl Ann,

Of course we all know that there is a great deal more to being a woman than clothing and appearance choiices. But if you are treating this seriously, and it sounds like you are, then you want to be more than "a man in a dress." In which case your appearance should be of some importance to you and you need to consider your entire image, not just a pretty top or nice shoes.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Hi Cheryl Ann,

Of course we all know that there is a great deal more to being a woman than clothing and appearance choiices. But if you are treating this seriously, and it sounds like you are, then you want to be more than "a man in a dress." In which case your appearance should be of some importance to you and you need to consider your entire image, not just a pretty top or nice shoes.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Yes Persephone, You are absolutely right! It's not about the clothes or a "man in women's clothes." It's about WHO I feel I am inside and the clothes simply express that. I feel this is a baby step to exploring to get a feel for real RLT.

Miki, We are our own worst enemies. There are many who want us to, and will accept us just the way we are. :-)

Thank you ladies for my added confidence!

Cheryl Ann

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I'd agre that if you're going, go a bit farther and add a little daytime makeup.
    kimdl, As far as daytime makeup, what would you suggest? I plan to wear my plain regular denim jeans and a smock-type white top, and my white strap sandals and knee-high nylons. My hair stylist has told me I have a cool facial style and suggests I use a rose color eye shadow and brown eye liner because I have deep blue eyes. Any suggestions for a day look?

Cheryl Ann