Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to go about hiring a crossdresser?

Platinum Member
    Hi Stephanie, Arizona, A nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennialy View Post
    Agree 100% this is your livelihood. IMO you will be too personal with someone in the CD realm. And you don't really want to play with your livelihood!
    Most T minded people are smart and respectful as has been my experience.I see you are from the Chicago area.Perhaps you should sit in at the CGS meetings and dinners as well as the TRIESS meetups. There are great,talented people there,and you will realize that having "a knowing inner circle" is a real possibility and knocks the "anxiety "out of it.That is what Stephanie was getting at...when there is no hiding from the unknowing,then the work atmosphere could lighten up a bit.

Silver Member
    If you have a local transgender community where you live, get to know some folks there. As you meet folks in the trans community you can let people know there is a job available. It is better to meet folks and offer a job than having to advertise for an employee, you can get to know them personally first, and keep prying eyes out of your business. As others have said, if you publish an ad requesting a crossdresser you could have your business "shaken down" (or ruined) by the EEOC or some other governmental agency.

In all seriousness I think you want to slant your thinking toward your future employee being accepting rather than actively crossdressing. There is nothing wrong or illegal about choosing a qualified candidate who also fits the office "culture" On a different note if you expect this person to keep things a secret that has disaster written all over it no matter if the are accepting or a crossdresser themselves.

I'd apply in a heartbeat Stephanie if it was in Kansas City. I've got the experience, know how, and the heels
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Maybe you are doing what you need to do...get the word out and maybe someone will come to you. As for discrimination, I think you can hire a specific minority over others if that group is under represented...its only fair.
    Chickie

I would probably just advertise the position and state the workplace is LGBT friendly. When someone calls about the position, let them know you are a cd and if they are ok with it to come in and continue the interview process if so. I'd do the interview crossdressed so you can gauge their comfort levels and see if they are a good match.

Cheers,

Kalista

I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, through and through.
    I love nylons and high heels, mini-skirts and shopping deals!
    I don't care what others say, life's too short, it's time to play.
    I'm a TGirl, yes it's true! I'm a TGirl, how 'bout you?

Without jeopardizing company integrity, I would advertise for an experienced person in the trade that I needed.
    I would be unlikely to hire someone heavily tattooed, many body piercings, unwashed, un a lot of other things, and that person should be able to fill out forms of the written kind.
    Good communication skills and good interaction with customers.
    It they were transgendered or an alternative lifestyler of some other type they would be acceptable, as long as they did not hold extreme views that they would immediately argue for. They should accept others views.

If I needed a cross dresser per se.
    I would look in the yellow pages under X dressers and hire one from one of those casual equipment hire places.
    When she is unsatisfactory, I can return her.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think networking and seeking out someone would work better than trying to attract applicants. Maybe hit cd friendly spots and meet and greet

Aspiring Member
    Building Trades or Highway Construction?

Some interview question suggestions:
    1) when would you use the following type of nails: 16d bright common, 12d coated, 6d finish, French tip.
    2) what is meant by "CD coming out of the closet"? answer: I would never use that grade of plywood in a closet. It need to come out.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    There needs to be a CD version of LinkedIn or something where we can all network professionally

Hi Stephanie, where exactly do I sign? Seriously, if you are serious, you may have just answered my prayers... Exactly where are you located and what type of construction? I currently live in Texas, my divorce will be final in July, I dress full-time at home and on days off. I'm currently in health care and actually go to work with mild makeup on. I have construction experience dating back to high school from oil field related to framing and remodeling houses but went and got a business degree and later a nursing license. I have owned my own company and now my life has come to a skreeching halt losing everyone close to me. I have a mother, step-father, 2 sisters and a brother that live in Northern CA that I see only once every few years and I would dearly love to be closer to them. I am mid 40's, white, good health and condition, intelligent, hard-working and responsible for ME at this point in my life. I would love to hear from you, email, IM, etc. I know exactly how you feel, I was in the closet when kids and wife were home, now I'm alone and all I want is the femme look. I love the outdoors, cycling, hunting, water, and want to work with someone that I can associate with not always business. Hope to hear from you. Ashlyn

Most LGBT chapters publish a monthly newsletter. If you have one in your community you might want to try running an ad there and see where it goes. Also if you publish a newspaper or on line ad, I would go with your third choice.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Wow..

I just visited Az for the first time and loved it out there! Too bad I'm in the electrical field.... but I am a good learner!
    Seriously though, I think your ad looks good!!!!
    I finally figured it out! - I'm a Lesbian Trapped in a Mans Body!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/sexycindycd

You could specify that your firm is GLBT friendly in any ads, or while dealing with recruiters

I don't think that you put it in the job advert, but you could probably come up with a few questions to at least get someone who wouldn't care, and wouldn't make it an issue.

"In this line of work, we come across a lot of different types of people. What would you do if you went to a job site and the client was a man dressed in a skirt?"

With that simple question, and your woman's intuition, you should find someone who would fit your bill! :-)

Banned Read only
    Some of the national LGBT organizations have job databases. Here's one:

http://outandequal.org/lgbtcareerlink

First I want to appoligize for abandoning my own thread. As you can imagine, I have been overwelmed with family and work decisions. And the web just had to take back seat. Probably be that way for a bit.
    I have read everyones advice and I really appreciate it. There's lots that I didn't think of. Nobody really does think of this stuff till it hits your plate I guess. (Flatlander, Didn't know about that link. I'll look into it. Thx.) I don't want anyone to think I am going to sacrafice my company and take the focus off of construction and making money just so I can open a "gender diversity training camp". I understand that there is a time and place for gender openness as society gains acceptance. Male, female, "other"... when the tire meets the road it will be the person that has what I'm looking for that fits the job that I will talk to. IF I don't decide to sell the whole place and move on. I just don't know at this point.
    All I do know is that I have a whole lot of support here that I appreciate. Thx

To bad your so far away I am a former construction project manager civil engineer and fit the other requirements to. ACtually I am not that a far away San Diego but I like being retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Sallee, I am in the same boat and really do like my, what to do today lifestyle. Sometimes doing nothing is a lot of fun. I would however love to get some consulting gigs for a couple or few weeks at a time. I always enjoyed the industry. My dad was a home builder.

Banned Read only
    There is a myth that keeps floating around and it needs exposing. Modern Society is NOT a meritocracy, yet we cling mercilessly to this notion of the Best and Brightest. B/S. From my nearly 41 years in industry, I've run across some of the Best and Brightest with whom you would NOT want to be in the same room. Oft times their social skills are non-existent and they possess about as much charisma as last week's T++D. You wouldn't want them anywhere near a well-functioning team for fear of infection.

Yes, you do want well-qualified people, but you shouldn't have to sacifice humanity and understanding for the world as it is. You shouldn't have to sacrifice humor and compassion. In short, I want someone who knows about LIFE.

Case in point:
    Several years ago, I went to a job fair to recruit young engineers who had, or where just about to graduate. I talked to a guy who was about to graduate, but he was fairly old; 26 or 27 I think. Also, his grade average wasn't that high; maybe 2.7 or so out of 4.0. As I talked to him, I found out what his story was. He had gone to a vocational high school and had entered an apprentice auto mechanic's program. Eventually he became a mechanic at a car dealership. He got married and had one kid, as I remember. However, he realized that if he was ever going to get ahead, he needed to go gack to school. After some remedial work, he enrolled in a mechanical engineering program at a pretty good school in his home town. However, he continued to work fulltime at the dealership.

The thing that impressed me that here was a guy who knew hard work, long hours, setting tough goals and dedication. Sounds like a guy I'd want on my team. Well, the upshot was that our HR folks got the idea that every candidate had to have at least a 3.0 in order to invite them for an on-site interview. To my mind, this is what happens when you value artificial metrics over substance. See, inclusion is about considering the whole person, thinking about what good qualities they bring and not allowing their differences to count as negatives. I believe we are at our best when we allow ourselves to consider the whole person.

To bad you're not in my part of Ohio, I'd snap it up in a second! I know a little bit about construction, and for the record, I'd think nothing of showing up on site in a pretty dress and heels, and still not be afraid to swing an occasional hammer.

However,,, About your original question... "Our company prides it's self on being open to diversity. Applicants must be tolerant of alternative lifestyles."

Silver Member
    Speaking as one of those engineer-type people who is often misunderstood and in general rubs some people the wrong way... please remember that people who are in technical fields are more likely to be introverted and may not be as comfortable with other people as the general population; I was drawn to a technical career because I was socially awkward and always felt more comfortable with machines than people. Those who are especially intelligent are also more likely to suffer from depression and other forms of mental illness than the general population.

Sadly, as for merit, we ceased being a culture that celebrates and rewards merit a long, long time ago.

Banned Read only
    I understand what you say completely. BSME 1972, so I'm in my 41st year in the profession. I'm one of the unusual ones as my Meyers-Briggs Introvert/Extrovert score turns out almost dead center.

Anyway, the problem isn't introversion, per se. The problem is when there is a component of arrogance in the mix. Those people are very difficult to work with and mold into a team. Even though the employment of a given person may be a bit sub-optimal, you might get more accomplished as the arrogant person will be a turn-off for everyone he or she comes in contact with.

There's a saying that goes something like this: "It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't worry about who gets the credit.". Hard to do in the company of arrogance.