Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to go about hiring a crossdresser?

How to go about hiring a crossdresser?

A lot of "how do I find a job where I can crossdress" threads have been posted. But not really a lot of "How do I advertise for a crossdresser" posts.
    What brought that up for me was the two week notice from my son-in-law who is my project manager in our family construction company. I brought my daughter and son-in-law (not a CD) down from the Pacific Northwest about 5 years ago to help work the growing business. It was a choice I made at the time between dressing whenever I wanted and, for the most part, stopping my dressing with the exception of very limited times in order to have family together.
    But after 5 years of enduring the heat of this place they had to make the tough choice of moving back to the area they enjoy. They have a lot of friends there too. So, even though it is tearing me apart inside - I understand. Double edged sword. They stay here and I get family and no dressing. They leave and I lose family, but get to dress again. This really hurts to the core since I'm very much a family man and would give anything for them.
    So this is where the post is going..
    During the times the son-in-law was out of the office all day, and not to return, I would lock the office doors and change. Very relaxing days. Now they are leaving and it will no longer be a family business, and I'm left looking to fill his position. I'm thinking it would be wonderful to hire someone who is also a crossdresser, where I don't need to be as guarded. I also enjoy employees on a friendship level so it would be fun to on girls nights out as well as fish and hunt etc.
    A Gg would fit the bill, I understand, and I'm not trying to take anything away from their ability to be awesome employees- but I'm married - and will keep the SO as the only woman in my life. On the same token, I'm still a business person so the best person for the job will get it. Male or female. But if everything was equal....
    So the quandary is how to word the add?
    1) Construction Project Manger wanted. Must have good fashion sense.
    2) Be part of a construction building team. Make-up experience a plus.
    3) Office help. Flexible dress code.

Seriously though, how would you, if possible, go about finding someone without jeopardizing company integrity. I never allow political statements, pro or anti weapon positions etc. I insist on neutrality.

Do you know any CDers in your area who could pass the word along?

I think this is a first..I have never seen a post like this before.. To bad I already have a decent career ... Good luck on filling the empty position and sorry for the family moving away..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Banned Read only
    You better curtail any choice of words that would indicate you are restricting employment to any one group. How would "Whites Only Wanted" or "Jews Only" or "Gays and Lesbians Only." You are sure to run afoul of EEO laws and state laws. Our state prohibits discrimination against all in employment, including gays and lesbians and transgenders, whether in fact or how they appear to another. The only thing you can do is to not exclude anyone. Yes, there are limitations where gender may be an issue, such as a "bra fitter" for a department store.

Don't be surprised if you get some qualified people from this site. Since I know very little about construction I'm out of the running, but I know there are a few professionals on the site.

Seriously, you have a business and want to hire employees based on the fact that they are crossdressers? Seriously?

If you want your business to be sucessfull, you should be looking for people who can best do the work that's required, have a good employement history, no drug use, and who seem to want to work for you.

Just like someone who works for someone else for a living, my advice is to keep your crossdressing and your job, business, etc. as far apart as possible. That is, unless your business is crossdressing related.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Too bad we are on oposite ends of the country. Youre looking for a crosscressing employee and I'm a crossdresser looking for a new job lol. Any chance at a remote office lol?

Im actally considering starting my own business in fashion. I already have a pretty popular line of outfits I put together over the last month. Ive had over 4000 people show an interest so maybe there is something there? You ladies think you could benefit from premade outfits geared towards the crossdressing community? Essentually a fashion expert who puts together outfits for you? Not sure if there is a market for that or not. I know I would love to have that.
    Last edited by Aly Cat; 04-29-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Hmmm... don't think I can talk the wife into moving to Arizona. As much as I do miss living there.

I think that you could start with the job profile and then the minimum requirements and then contact your local LGBT organizations and send that info to them. They would follow the law and make sure the whole LGBT group in that area would be eligible. I would also recommend that you contact Jorja on this site who apparently has some LGBT folks on her payroll and ask her how it works, experiences good and bad, etc.

One thing to consider, as we all like to think that we are sane and hard working people who have no problems with others and cause no problems for others, when in fact a lot of us are not that way at all. Also, you need to consider how out you are to the world because a disgruntled employee can cause a lot of collateral damage on the way out that door before it ever gets close to slamming them in the ass.

Aspiring Member
    Darn! I really can't relocate and besides I'm retired. I have the resume that would tickle your eyeballs! This will be a tough one but one never knows. I wouldn't advertise the job just yet because of the issues of hiring a specific group, but use the network of clubs to get the word out. I've hired a lot of people in my old position just by word of mouth to get the best candidates.

Cheryl

Platinum Member
    I think you just did advertise to a pretty diverse pool of potential candidates!

I would want the best person for the job and not limit my choice to TG's. You can [carefully] get into an applicant's views, and perhaps activities, during an interview. For example, you could ask if the applicant would have any qualms about working with a transgendered person. Again, carefully. As Stephanie47 said, you don't want to give the appearance of discrimination. Ironically, you'd be doing quite the opposite.
    One question: it sounds like your son-in-law doesn't know about you. Would advertising openly for a TG person out you to him? Just wondering.

Banned Read only
    Would you also advertise and hire for skin color? For height? No. You hire the best person possible. If you choose, you can tell each perspective candidate that you are a cross dresser and may be dressing from time to time. "Would you be ok with that, candidate?"

I'm surprised this thread got any attention. I was more or less just feeling sorry for myself and posted my thoughts. Thanks girls.

Laura: Started that ball rolling yesterday. I'll see how fast news travels
    Lucy: Thanks for the sypathy. Yea, it hurts. They had my granddaughter while living here. She's just over two, and we're very close.
    Stephanie47: Not going to restrict anyone. Best person get the job. I just have my personal wishes.
    Linda: Please re-read "On the same token, I'm still a business person so the best person for the job will get it. Male or female." Can't buy new shoes without profits!
    Allie: Thanks. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Standard help add would work there. No fancy wording. I would already be in the lions lair As per disgruntled employees and damage... I'm sure it's possible but then they would be pointing the finger at themselves as well to pull that card.
    Nicole: No he doesn't as far as I know (daughter does). If need, and appropriate, I will bring up the need for discretion during the first phone interview.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Seriously, you have a business and want to hire employees based on the fact that they are crossdressers? Seriously?

If you want your business to be sucessfull, you should be looking for people who can best do the work that's required, have a good employement history, no drug use, and who seem to want to work for you.

Just like someone who works for someone else for a living, my advice is to keep your crossdressing and your job, business, etc. as far apart as possible. That is, unless your business is crossdressing related.
    Agree 100% this is your livelihood. IMO you will be too personal with someone in the CD realm. And you don't really want to play with your livelihood!

You could indicate that the wearing of "Utilikilts" on the job would be acceptable, if that be the case. High heeled construction boots would also be acceptable, and a bit beneficial if working with ladders.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Advertise, advertise, advertise in many flexible places (including here) and use my own personal friends network of TG friends. The new fastest way to convey this type if news is to "tell a CDer"( even faster than to tell a woman).
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Simply putting "LGBT friendly business" in the ad would likely keep most of the Neanderthals away.

However, you'd be much better off with a great project manager who is tolerant of the boss' crossdressing than with a mediocre project manager who actively crossdresses. Sometimes it pays to keep business and pleasure separate.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Sounds like a good job, something I would probably enjoy (I'm a bit OCD on quality and paperwork), just in the wrong country, and I love New Zealand
    Last edited by Rachelakld; 04-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I would try and find transgender support groups in your area. I am sure there are many qualified individuals that have lost jobs because they transitioned. I am interviewing a young mtf that is going to school for mechanical engineering. I am hopeful she would like to work in a field she is studying for. It would be worth it to research and ask around. Then again you could just start to dress as you would like. I have been dressing as I want and is appropriate for my industry around my employees for quite a few years. My customers and employees are used to my appearance and it has become a non issue.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

advertise in frock magazine http://frockmagazine.com/frock/

I hate my job now, have been around comercial and residential construction well...for all of my life. can i apply?
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post

Stephanie is a very successful builder and as serious as a heart attack! And she is not the first one of us that has thought this way. I,for instance,have a great circle of T minded friends in the Boston area.We play well together and our talents range from engineering to law to the building trades.I am the "marine engineer" in the group,but we have others in the marine field as well.As I said,we are smart people,respectful of the others[hence play well together] and we have discussed combining talents on a job. When a T is out and comfortable being so,it opens up a whole new world. Way to think Stephanie!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    I would try and find transgender support groups in your area. I am sure there are many qualified individuals that have lost jobs because they transitioned.
    Believe it or not, I was reading an article from ABC news that stated that upwards towards 60% of transgendered people who have made the transition are either jobless or make under $10,000 per year. To me, that is maddening. Thats a lot of jobless people whom a lot are probably qualified for good jobs. Maybe someone like you is just who some of them need to get them back on their feet.

Wow, what a missed opportunity!

30+ years as a real estate development/construction executive with a least a decent idea of how to dress, don't really mind the heat and love the desert!!!

Darn! Can't leave the family I already have in San Jose.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.