Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is "transgender" a bad word?

I hope the thread stays open (notwithstanding my prediction that it wouldn't). It's a discussion that we need to have. The general public will never understand what "transgender" means until we do.

What's in a Name?

Crossdresser, Transvestite, Queen, Drag Queen, Transgender, Gender Dysphoric, Sissy, Femme Boy, Transsexual, Tranny, She**le, M2F CD, Gurly Boi and Fag.

I'm sure I missed some.

No matter who you are, how hairy your chest and legs are or aren't, no matter if you can kayo the heavyweight champ with a single punch, or whether you wear Pink clothes every day, somewhere there is someone who is going to apply one of those epithets to us as a generalization. Get used to it, because the world isn't going to change.

The discussions about definitions remind me of the classic scene in The Wanderers where the teacher starts out by having the white kids recite the euphemisms for African-Americans, and then having the black kids do the same for the Italian-Americans. The end result: A riot.

Silver Member
    From the perspective of a crossdresser I would not know.

But from my perspective I don't like the word anymore, and I only identify as transsexual if I need when I need to explaine myself to someone. I think transgender is to broad, it means to many different things to different people.

However, my wife and especially my daughter describe me as transgender. It seems easier for them then to say transsexual.

I'm homebound, and have only ventured out a few times. That is my choice. I wear panties everyday. My Wife is great and supports me as I am. What I think is a bit weird about this thread are the references to "the general public". If one is out and in society, please tell your our story and tell us about the "Transgender" label. If one is not in public then why do you care? Silence is not going to do it.

Who cares anyway?

I don't

Aspiring Member

that's the point

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post

The difference between "transgender" and "transsexual" is rooted in the difference between "gender" and "sex".
    Well, for starters , when dealing with the public, gender and sex are synonymous Applications often use the terms gender or sex when they want a response of M or F.
    It think it was Veronica who said we need more words, but we also need more specific words. Transgender is pretty vague in the same way well being
    describes someones condition. I suspect it is a more "flowery" term unlike transvestite or cross dresser, who , according to this term, are part of the umbrella terminology. same thing for gay--used to be a perfectly good descriptive word until it was "borrowed"--now one can only use it in the context of homosexuality. Lesbos, an island where Sappho was born , and where you are called a Lesbian (e.g. america--american) has been given as a descriptive name to female homosexuals. The island actually tried via a law suit to stop the use of the term lesbian for anyone who was not actually born there but I don't think it happened.
    So have we just found new, more confusing terms just for their own sake or are they really descriptive? That is why it is important to call a spade a spade. If you are a cross dresser with a feminine side, then explain it that way rather than say "I'm transgendered". If you want to be a woman, then say your are a male transitioning to a woman and when completed you would be a trans sexual. If you are a fetishist, proclaim it to the roof. If you are ashamed of it, transgendered won't really help in the end. I'm a liberal with bouts of conservatism and generally vote for democrats. I'm definitely NOT middle of the road, whatever that means.
    Since we are not writing fiction, it is in our own best interests to be specific, labels work when we all agree on a term, and people feel comfortable when they understand what it is you are saying. It is kind of psychology jargon and we need to stop.
    Alan Alda is currently teaching classes to scientists to get them to stop using jargon and start to communicate about science in terms people can understand. clear communication is important enough that a universtiy has a dept to do just that--teach clear science communication.
    JUST a crossdresser

I actually prefer using "transgender" in describing myself, as the loose definition of trans is travel, I travel from one gender to the other at will.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I hate label's... I'll accept that I'm a crossdresser and/or Transgendered, but if you want to label me please just call me Candice.

Thanks.

Arbon,
    I think transgender sounds less harsher than transsexual.
    I agree that you ar a transsexual but if your relatives wish to describe you I think more people would accept transgender as the same thing.

It may not be politically correct but I think it is a softer sounding word that they are finding easy to use.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I agree that you ar a transsexual but if your relatives wish to describe you I think more people would accept transgender as the same thing.
    Most people have no idea what the word "transgender" means. The word isn't overloaded with lots of mental images. There are lots of (mostly incorrect) mental images people have of transexuals. Even if you do understand the term transgender, it is pleasantly vague.

Lets see, I think that the majority of the worlds population thinks one is "gay/homosexual" when you tell them that you are different to them, trans(whatever), no matter what you call it. Hell, I've been asked if I'm gay several times when I did not have a girlfriend, and was not actively looking for one. I found it quite frustrating how people judge you, I've even had someone try an convince me I AM gay because of not being interested in looking for a girl.
    Now, try and tell somebody you dress in womans clothes, underwear, etc or wear makeup. What do you think is there response???

Funny thing is, that was all before a started wearing makeup and girly clothes, I don't often get those comments anymore. .. maby they are too scared to ask, lol
    I also don't care anymore if people think im gay or not, (it used to bug me very much before), but I thank "Lexi" for that, she doesn't care ...

Mmm, hope this all makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is not with the word, but that so many members refuse to acknowledge its definition. Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

Unfortunately, members try to redefine it to be a synonym of transsexual or, as with Sejd, confuse "trans" with "transit" (from which we get transition).

I agree Rianna. I don't really mind the term, transgender. I am transgender because my inner self (mind, hear, soul and spirit) do not conform to my outward appearance. Personally, I think of myself as female ... every waking and sleeping moment.

It is used as an umbrella term in my belief which doesn't do justice to most of the components/types that fall under it. I'm not sold that the LBGT world really accepts the "T's" of the world and included us but leaves us alone as often as they can.

I don't know that "all" the world will ever be in agreement on this one.
    "Woman is a miracle of divine contradictions.", Jules Michelet, French historian
    Take care and God bless, Josie06[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No it's not a bad word.. The definition gets crossed because it covers various amounts of gender identity issues.. Trans meaning= across,beyond, through and changing...Gender meaning sexual I.D... Nothing wrong with the word at all..I feel those who find it defensive are people who have been victims over similar issues.. I find nothing wrong with people who feel they were born in the wrong body and wish to be the sex opposite that they were born as..Just as I expect those to do the same for me not wishing to be the sex I was not born as but enjoy to emulate with no desire to transition ..
    Last edited by Lucy_Bella; 05-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.