Thread: Would you watch the Kentucky Derby to see the hats?

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit

Would you watch the Kentucky Derby to see the hats?

So the Kentucky Derby is on, or at least coming up a bit later. Not that i really care who wins (i have no bets pending), but I find the hats fascinating! Anyone love extravagant women's hats? Here are a few from last years. I really want a hat like one of these!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Darla,
    I will watch it for the fashions in the field.
    The dresses interest me more.
    My mother in law was a milliner and made a lot of money making stylish? hats for race day.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

darla,
    Great pics and some amazing hats, actually it makes me want to buy all of the ones shown being worn by ladies, but while the race runs I will not be watching. Things around my apartment need my attention. Lovely pics btw.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Aspiring Member
    LOL! Just seeing some of the outfits, I told my wife yesterday I'd love to be there dressed with a nice sundress, white strap sandals, my favorite wig, and one awesome hat!

Cheryl

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Been to the Derby plenty of times and always loved the huge hats.

Banned Read only
    Darla, not only wouldn't I watch the Derby to see hats, I wouldn't watch it if I knew there was going to be a crash! Wait a minute, maybe that's the Daytona 500. Well, I'm still not going to watch, but I'll wear a hat. How's that?

Let's not forget all the lovely fascinators!

Being from L'ville, I've always been jealous of the women at Derby. A few of my cousins have been "Derby Princesses", and I've always been a little jealous. I've also been really jealous of my wife's Derby hats. One of these days I will wear a Derby hat on Derby day. There's no doubt.

... Although, I find the horse racing industry abhorrent and barbaric, it's hard not to get into the festivities and culture surrounding Derby when one lives in Louisville, KY. However, I am STILL (regrettably) in Bmore, so Derby is hardly a blip for me this year.

But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't watch it just for the hats.
    Last edited by May(be); 05-04-2013 at 06:07 PM.

I have to admit hats #1,2,3, and 5 are most alluring for this old gal. Thank you for posting darla.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    too bad the weather was so bad in Louisville today! but i still saw many nice hats
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Some of those hats are lovely and I'd love to wear them! I wore a hat myself for some of my recent pictures, one I'd customized myself. Not nearly as elaborate as some of these, though. Hmm...I could do some silk flowers with a bow, I think. I might have to find another inexpensive hat at Walmart and try something else!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Yes, I love the hats and dresses, but the race, one of the most boring of all sporting events.
    Stephanie

Oh! by the way,
    the woman with the beard does it for me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes, every year. Love seeing the hats and dress and what all the ladies are wearing. A guilty pleasure I guess.
    "Woman is a miracle of divine contradictions.", Jules Michelet, French historian
    Take care and God bless, Josie06[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GG/SO of a CD
    Not only do I love derby hats, Buts that's one of the reasons I ADORE Kate Middleton so much, her fashion sense and her adorable hats. I want an amazing derby hat!

I watched the pre race hoopla, hoping to see some hosiery, at least on the more mature ladies that were there, But...Sadly, I was dissapointed, as usual. Oh, and I did watch the race. Nice comeback from the winner, considering the slow start.