Thread: What is it about Alias?

What is it about Alias?

Is it just me or does anyone else relate to the story and theme of Alias? Other than Jennifer Garner's wardrobe, what is it about Alias that is so appealing?

As I am watching the series again I find that the show was really quite simple and predictable. Well, maybe that is because I have seen it before. However, there is something very comforting about it; something that I can relate with on a personal level. I am quite sure it is not being a spy, or was it?

I mean for more than forty years I pretended to be someone I am not to try and fit in. I watched and mimicked male behaviors and patterns in order to be the best male I could be. I did it well too. So in a sense, isn't that like being a spy.

Perhaps it is her struggle with her sense of self. A show of hands, who on this forum struggles with their sense of self? I know several folks are going to say "not me" but look again, only a few people alive in the world can say that and be completely true. On a daily basis Sydney fights to understand who she is while at the same time she is being deceitful and lying to those she cares about. I find that very familiar.

As soon as she gets past once deceitful existing she is thrown into another. I wonder, is that like going stealth? Is stealth a deceitful existence. I don't think I am one to answer that as I am quite open about being trans. However, I don't offer that information up right away in several situations; first dates and work are a couple. I try to be cautious about what I say not wanting to clue anyone in for fear of discovery. Is that caution or deceit? Perhaps it is a fine line.

Okay, enough of this, time for dinner, that is just my thought of the day.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

"Other than Jennifer Garner's wardrobe, what is it about Alias that is so appealing?"

For me it was only Jennifer Garner and her wardrobe! The rest I could easily do without, and have done so.

We all have pieces of our souls that we will forever remain hidden - even when using an alias. I am doing my best to peel off the fabric of deceit to find all of Miki and how much of Michael is Miki and Miki is Michael. I have a great therapist and Miki is learning to enjoy new found friends like Allie and her friend Rachel and Miki's sense of self is developing rapidly.

Will I ever let the world meet all of who Miki is - no! Will the world ever meet all of Michael - no! But I have pretty much gotten over the scary, humiliating and embarrassing events in my life (or, at least embraced the events and know how to deal with them). I hope Michael and Miki and Mikey (the very merry prankster) all merge together at some point. All three of us are nice people and I think merging my personalities into one mostly Miki person will create an individual who doesn't need or want an alias.

And, yes - Jennifer Garner is hot and would make a great daughter.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Abagail,
    Stop over thinking the situation.
    Just get on with it...
    You are probably drawing parallels with your own lifestyle and can relate to it.
    Oh! well do enjoy the moment.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiSJ View Post
    We all have pieces of our souls that we will forever remain hidden - even when using an alias. I am doing my best to peel off the fabric of deceit to find all of Miki and how much of Michael is Miki and Miki is Michael. I have a great therapist and Miki is learning to enjoy new found friends like Allie and her friend Rachel and Miki's sense of self is developing rapidly.
    Well said. I find now that I have been able to enjoy life at a whole new level; with new friends and with old. It seems the old self that was lost in the mists of recent events is starting to emerge again and partner with my new self. It's a wonderful feeling. As it turns out the deceit is something that is part of every human soul, it is nature and difficult to abolish though we can minimize it.
    - AF

Banned Read only
    Interesting. You could also say the same, approximately, for Peta Wilson of Nikita and Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs. It seems there is this continue internal fight to reconcile what you're doing and are forced to do with the greater good and your own set of sensibilities. There exists the tendency that women are much better at following rules than men. Men, I think, are able to compartmentalize their thinking more easily. Not saying that men are less moralistic, but I think we may do better at temporarily suspending our morals.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Men, I think, are able to compartmentalize their thinking more easily.
    That is caused by hormones.

For me, since being on HRT, I am less capable of "compartmentalizing" my thinking or emotions. My thinking is a lot more scattered and my emotions, oh god what can I say about my emotions? They just happen and there is no stopping it.
    - AF