Thread: The Revolving Door

Complex Lolita...

The Revolving Door

“A girl awakens to the apple of memories, and bestows a kiss...” (from a Japanese manga)

I was looking at my voluminous notebook today, and I have a “special” section for CD stuff as it pertains to this site/forum/board. Back in July of 2009, after three years of lurking, I introduced myself via a tentative thread. I had been on a CD discussion forum before, and I kept wondering if I wanted to go through it again. As such, my introductory OP was shy in the extreme...

According to my records, exactly 22 people welcomed me to the site – for some reason I wrote down their femme names in my notebook. Something struck me today – ALL of these people are no longer here. They have moved on. Briefly, my orbit converged with their orbits, and they saw fit to float a few words of encouragement in my general direction. However, I don’t see one name on my list of welcomes that is still seen amongst the posters – where did they all go, and why?

It almost makes me feel guilty for being here, or STILL being here. I’ve been here long enough to see this site as a busy meeting place, a waiting lounge, or a glorified seminar (of sorts) where things are briefly discussed, dispensed with, and then re-excavated for more discussion. Many individuals come and go around here – either they got what they wanted, or didn’t get what they wanted, or got frustrated TRYING to get what they wanted. I assume that many males want to understand why they dress as women, or at least feel good doing so, and it’s wonderful to finally TALK (or, in this case write) about their mysterious non-understandable passion...

I certainly like writing about crossdressing, and there’s no end to what you can write about. If there was a be-all and end-all tome about crossdressing, conceived and written with sympathy BY actual crossdressers, things would be different, but there is no such resource. This place serves well as a repository of knowledge, or information, constructed by real crossdressers. This particular section, MtF, is my main stomping ground, a veritable crossroads of ALL CD types and their ideas. Many contribute, and the same things are often discussed, over and over, but I still wonder why people leave, or even come here in the first place...

Of course, it takes time to read and respond to the many posts on display – many subjects are not in my realm of experience, so I move along. I assume others do likewise. Also, I’m not interested in arguing, or banging my head against the wall, but it is fun to interject a little something into the spaces provided. Maybe I have more time on my hands than others (I have been accused of this, you know), but I think it has more to do with the delight of engaging other CD minds, and I mean that with all due sincerity. Crossdressing is fascinating, period, and I want to keep the CD flame alive as long as I can – as far as I’m concerned, I’m responsible for perpetuating my interest in crossdressing, and this place helps. The urge, or need, to crossdress is a very precious thing, and any reinforcement is VERY helpful...

But, I guess many people just crossdress, and, after a brief foray into a discussion forum like this one, they resume their crossdressing lives, battling accepted norms, dogmatic expectations, and the requirements of the real world. My world is just as real, but my circumstances may be a little more relaxed than most. I’ve tried to leave on occasion, but I keep coming back, like a moth to the light at the portal to an unseen world. Nearly every week I meet a new crossdresser or two, but I still remember those who first welcomed me here. Sigh. I must carry on...

For all who have departed... This place is like a revolving door, isn’t it?

I didn't welcome you? Dang! Well then, welcome to the forum! There. Now it's official. And I'm still here, albeit not nearly as much as I used to be, mostly due to the fact that my crossdressing has been severely curtailed. But it will never go away, and I think, neither will I.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Banned Read only
    Might there still be one or two around going by a different name?

And you lurked for T H R E E years...before joining?

Good grief! That fact explains everything. "Telling" at the very least.

As to WHY they are seemingly gone?

INTENT. Why do folks participate here, or continue to participate? If they get nothing from "participating" chances are good they will cease typing and leave OR simply become lurkers. Lurkers CAN still learn just by reading, but regular participants might not learn/WANT to learn anything if they have an aversion to reading.

It's easy to imagine that when/if people think they are helping others, they will continue to stick around.

I've been involved with online forums of various kinds since the early '70s, and made my living installing and supporting them for a few years in the early '90s. That not only makes me really old, it means I've seen a lot of users come and go over the years. I actually kept statistics on a number of the systems I ran, and the average half-life of a user on those (non-CD-related) boards was about a year, for users who posted at least once. (If they didn't post at all, it was far shorter.)

In short, I think you've identified a phenomenon that is common to all online meeting places of any description, and not particularly related to the unique subject matter of this board. People come and go and come again under different names online, every day, all the time, in any manner of different places and for their own reasons. But as a group, they're a pretty transient bunch.

This is not unique to Internet media either, by the way. I used to work for the local cable TV company, and the average lifespan of our customers was somewhat less than a year. I once read that a typical telephone (pre-cell landline) customer lasted about seven months -- which explains why they're so anxious to sell those two-year contracts.

- Diane

First, I always look forward to reading your posts. They are so well written and always insightful.
    I have come and gone several times since I first came here and more than once I have left for "good."
    Yet, here I am. For me the beauty of this forum is that it is an ever-turning revolving door to a place where all are acepted for who and where they are.
    I find many diverse opinions and very little judgement. I find honest and generous encouragment not only for me bt for everyone.
    I love to come here and vicariously celebrtate victories. I feel a sort of duty to share the pain of those whose road is not so easy, perhaps lessening that pain just by listening and on rare occasion, sharing a common story.
    The ONE thing I have learned in all of my visits here is that the 'why' of the situation is rarely the issue. It is more sharing a common journey toward finding our own individual level of acceptance of who and where we are.

For me, just one more turn through the revolving door...
    Thank you Freddy for a wonderful and beautifully written analogy.

Shelby

PS. You may notice I used the term "who and where" instead of "who and what." We are all involved in crossdressing here. We just vary as to where on the spectrum we fall.

I'm glad You are here

I enjoy reading your words of wisdom and insite. You hit home many times as you express your views. I hope we can all grow old gracefully together.

Cindy
    ​Cindy

I've been around that long if not longer but this site isn't a daily or even weekly stopping point on the Internet for me. Sometimes it is but once I've sifted through the posts for something that interests me and mined those topics I move on until the next time. Many times the posts that catch my interest come from Freddy so you've contributed to me not leaving for good.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    I didn't welcome you? Dang! Well then, welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! Apparently TXKimberly hasn't cornered the market on "dang!"

I wonder if the people who welcome new members have less of a “shelf life” than the long-standing members (such as you). Patience is indeed a virtue. When I came here I wanted to engage the “biggies” in discussion, and I’m pleased to say I succeeded, but many of the iconic members have slipped back from their former prominent position. Again, the revolving door is calling, but, at any given time, you get an interesting glimpse of parallel lives inspired, affected, or changed by crossdressing…

PS – I LOVE that dress in your avatar, Marla…

Frédérique,
    This site is very much like a revolving door, people return as well.
    There is a constantly changing of attitudes over time and those that stay learn to adjust to the new social norm.
    I have used the same thoughts on questions twelve months apart and received totally different replies because of a changing outlook.
    A bit like a teacher in a school that changes class from year to year, except the year only lasts three months here.
    Don't feel guilty, think of those that came here for help and have left better people because of the forum advice and guidance they received.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Spoken in my best Monty Python-esque voice:

"I'm not dead yet!"

Kathi

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Mademoiselle Frédérique, your talent is appreciated, by me among others. You are the "essayist" of Crossdressers.com, always touching on many thoughtful topics. Basically, if legendary blogger Steven den Beste were a crossdresser, he'd be you. (Yes, I know you're not him. For one thing, you're in Kansas, he's in Oregon.)

If I don't always comment on your work, it's not because I don't appreciate it...it's because, quite frankly, you're a tough act to follow! Most of the time, anything I could add on the subject would be gilding the lily at best, and make me look downright foolish at worst. So I remain quiet...yet if this site had the equivalent of the Facebook "Like" button or the Google "+1" button, I'd be clicking away at it!

Long may you continue to grace our presence with your formidable intellect and talent for writing!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Frederique, you never fail to amuse and amaze me. How can such insight and well written prose emanate from Kansas of all places. Dang! Welcome to the forum. I'm also missing many of my early contacts here. CDs just seem to quietly disappear rather than go out in a blaze of glory.

I have been on this site even longer than you have. I have also been on other sites. It is quite common for people to come and go and maybe, return. People's situations change, their feelings about themselves fluctuate, their "needs" change, etc.
    Fortunately, there is usually a core group that remains fairly constant.
    Hugs, Carole

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    For all who have departed... This place is like a revolving door, isn’t it?
    It is. There have been tens of thousands people join (way more than the 28,000 in current statistics, if memory serves), yet there are only just under 7,000 who've posted within the last three months. I believe that people leave for any one or several of a variety of reasons:

• They join and post a few times, only to discover the forum is not for them.
    • They lead busy lives and don't have time to participate.
    • They've moved on from the fetish aspect, if this is why they first joined.
    • If they joined and participated a lot during a lonely phase of their lives, this phase might now be over with ... maybe they're in a relationship now.
    • They've gotten their questions answered.
    • They've reached the end point with their particular CDing level, and are satisfied ... there's nothing left to learn.
    • They've obtained the courage to go out publicly, and after doing this regularly, some of the mystique or the fantasy has worn off so there's no longer a need to wax poetic.
    • They grow out of the fantasy phase or the pink fog, for those who are motivated to join by a wish to use this site as a fantasy outlet.
    • They've resolved the issues with their wives, or they're divorced and no longer need to ask advice about that.
    • They decided to quit after having received an ultimatum from a wife.
    • They got tired of looking at the picture gallery .. nothing is new anymore.
    • They stopped the crossdressing or perhaps cut it down a lot, which I think might be more common than is immediately apparent here, especially once the mystique has worn off after having gone out in the mainstream quite a bit).
    • They got into tiffs with others here or with staff, and they're on another discussion forum.
    • They started hormones because they felt they were TS, and now the desire to CD has severely abated.
    • They discovered after a fast and furious foray in the TS section that they are not TS after all, and prefer to not return rather than admit this to others.
    • They lost interest in participating here because they've transitioned and now are stealth.

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons why people have stopped participating here.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    I wasn't here I 2009 to,welcome you, and to be honest, I seldom do welcome new members....guess I'm not a very welcoming sort of person.

I've seen a few folks come and go, but also see a lot of familiar faces and names here after three years and some months. For those, including Freddy I have failed to welcome....Hello!

... like a moth to the light at the portal to an unseen world.
    Or, like in my case, a dog returning to it's own vomit.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake
    "I'm not dead yet!"
    Thank goodness for that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie
    How can such insight and well written prose emanate from Kansas of all places. Dang! Welcome to the forum. I'm also missing many of my early contacts here. CDs just seem to quietly disappear rather than go out in a blaze of glory.
    Thanks for the kind words! Kansas is my adopted state – I’m from Massachusetts, where they drink WAY too much coffee. I began crossdressing near the Atlantic and moved westward…

There are many people I’ve come to know and love on this site who have disappeared over time, but none of them welcomed me to the site – it takes a special type of person to do the latter, I feel. I think you’re absolutely correct to say that crossdressers quietly disappear – this is how I would do it, rather than exacerbate any situation that was troubling me. As such, if I’m feeling like engaging in a little invisibility around here, I just disappear. When I reappear (eventually) I simply carry on as if nothing had happened. Looking around, it’s the people who participate quietly, in a measured, reserved manner, who impress me the most. By comparison, I can be rather noisy

Going out in a blaze of glory is not my style, but it HAS crossed my mind from time to time…

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD
    I'm sure there are lots of other reasons why people have stopped participating here.
    Like nosy moderator-members turning a discussion towards something unwanted, perhaps? Just kidding… Just KiddingJUST KIDDING

Freddy, better late than never I'll welcome you too. Usually I don't welcome budding members unless they are asking for some sort of advice and nobody has answered them yet --- don't want them to feel ignored. However what makes this Forum worthwhile and makes me feel all fuzzy are the many frequent posts of thanks when they tell how they had come on this place in panic and confusion and now
    their lives have changed for the better. Such contributions make for a better world and those who provided, or tried to, should feel proud.
    I was going to start singing "Amazing Grace", my favorite, but nobody would want that.
    Julie

Sorry Freddy, I thought the reasons that people leave, which was mentioned in your original post, was part of the discussion.

... and I stopped being a moderator last summer.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    It is. There have been tens of thousands people join (way more than the 28,000 in current statistics, if memory serves), yet there are only just under 7,000 who've posted within the last three months. I believe that people leave for any one or several of a variety of reasons:
    Wow, I did not realize that many people came through here, even the 7,000 number really surprises me.

Arbon, the stats are at the bottom of the Home page. And I misspoke. I said the current members (just under 7,000) had posted in the last three months, but I think this is rather the number who have logged in, many of whom do not post. I've always suspected that a lot of people join and log in just to see the pictures in the Gallery.
    Reine

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie
    Or, like in my case, a dog returning to it's own vomit.
    You paint a lovely picture of self-loathing...

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD
    ... and I stopped being a moderator last summer.
    Please accept my belated (and sincere) congratulations...

You paint a lovely picture of self-loathing...
    I'm but a wretched, depraved sinner - but no worse than anyone else.