Thread: Traveling to LA for a conference in a few weeks

Traveling to LA for a conference in a few weeks

Hi Ladies,
    I am traveling to LA in a few week and, while at the conference, I am planning to go en femme. I was a bit nervous about traveling back to my home state en femme, going through TSA and sitting on a plane next to God knows who but I feel like I want to do it. I can change back into boy mode when I arrive at my home airport in a family rest room. I have read some posting here about travel but with how things change so often and fast with TSA I don't want to end up as a meme on the internet.

Some questions I had were, if they wanted to pat me down, could I request a private pat down so as to not cause a scene?

Are there any places downtown LA that are LGBT friendly so that I wont stick out like a sore thumb? (I try to dress and make my self up to be as passable as possible)

Has anyone had issues on an airplane en femme tht I should be aware of?

Thank you all so much! OH! BTW, I have gone to this conference en femm before and walk around in public so i am not uncomfortable with that at all. I just wanted to make sure it was ok for me to air travel and not end up on the internet.

XOXO Sheila

You are not likely to be outed by TSA personnel and it may be a bit of an adrenalin rush being accepted by the passenger next to you.
    Others have done it but I have been hesitant. I carry too much controversial baggage as it is.
    They are always asking me questions.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just a girl on a trip cyndigurl45's Avatar
    OH sweetie I understand your concerns but I can tell you from personal experience TSA is the last thing to worry about, they are actually mandated to accept you however you present and should you need a pat down you will patted down by the same sex you present and it can be done in private, I have the T shirt LOL I did figure out that if I travel in a short skirt flip flops and a simple old navy low cut top I don't get a second look. Now passengers that's a whole other can of worms, when I fly I always book the window seat with an emergency exit, two reasons more room and only one neighbor, I got stuck next to two teens once we had an interest conversation, one asked me if I was a man I told her I tried to be took pills to make me a man but I couldn't cope and now I'm trying to be a woman again LOL it was all good.....

I think I am going to do it I just found this link here http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers so this had put my mind at ease. The last thing i need to figure out is my nails... I'm planning on using press on nails but they really get stuck on and I have to remove them before i get home. I need to figure that scenario out... maybe use a different type of glue?

Thank you!
    Sheila

Don't forget easy to remove shoes. You'll have to remove them while standing in line, so strappy sandals can be a pain. Also, most peoples feet swell on airplanes, so comfort is key here.
    Have fun, don't worry about TSA. In the first weeks after 9/11 when TSA was formed, they were a pain in the butt to us girls. Now they have procedures that are dignified for us. I remember some newbie actually shook a boob, and said 'What's this?' quite loud. She would be fired now.

I'll echo Cyndi's comments about TSA; yes, if a pat-down is needed, it will be done by someone of the appropriate gender. I try to cut down on the hip padding when going through screening -- they seem to attract the attention of agents. Checking in en femme with my male passport has never been a problem. (I might get an interesting comment or two). The window seat is a good idea, and next-seat passengers have either ignored me or engaged in polite conversation. Just be prepared for lines in airport ladies' rooms, and have a great trip!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Sheila
    Looks like you have your answers on the TSA issue. All times I have travelled they have been respectful. The booby image, even when firmly attached, has always raised a concern in screening. The pat downs have been dignified and without embarrassment. I would agree that the window seat gives you a little more initial "privacy"...... With the new boarding procedures especially on United, they board board window seating first......it also guarantees you overhead bin space.
    As for someplace accepting and friendly, check out the OXWOOD INN. Friday night is lesbian/girl night, but overtly accepting of TG/CD crowd. Juke box-pool table( good competition) and darts make for fun environment . Saturday is a big TG/CD night with every level of presentation. All the Boy Bars on Santa Monica in West Hollywood are FUN and accepting.
    Have a fun/femme flight and enjoy the thrill!!!!!
    Claudine

Thanks ladies! I will be sure to write up about my experiences

Go for it! And just to plug my own blog entry that relates to this, please feel free to take a look here: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html
    Last edited by Eryn; 05-30-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fixed URL

Sheila, while you will find a lot of LGBT-friendly places in LA I've never had an issue going anywhere I liked. I'd encourage you to step out into the mainstream and enjoy that as well. Just use the same common sense that a prudent GG would exhibit.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Sheila,
    Like many who responded, I have traveled a fair amount en femme. I would suggest that if they wish to do a pat down, let them do it in public. They aren't going to lift your skirt and point out you plumbing is wrong. They are looking to make sure you don't have a gun or a bomb. I suspect that they have, at least some of the time, read me and know why the scanner said I needed to be patted down. In that case, they did the minimum because they knew I was CDing. If you ask for private, there is a slight chance you could get some jerk who will give you grief and you won't have the public as your witness. So you are safer in public than in private.

I wrote a little thread on why it is "easy" to fly en femme. You can find it here: Is Flying Pretty Brave?. If you look at threads I have started (found in my profile), you can read a number of stories about my traveling en femme.

Good luck,
    Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Even if you get a troll next to you on the flight, they'll usually just ignore you. I would expect full support by the flight crew, and most other passengers don't want to see anyone harrassed, certainly not to the point where the flight gets interrupted or diverted to take an A-hole off the plane, so anyone giving you grief would likely be shouted down by friendly passengers.

I was nervous and apprehensive when first flying pretty, but ended up having an amazingly great time. The airline staff was great, TSA couldn't have been better. One time I mistakenly wore a top with glitter/sparkles on it and had to be patted down because it reads funny on their scans. I had a nice female TSA agent explain the process, pat down my top (and obviously noting my forms), and wishing me a good trip. Be proud, dress appropriately and comfortably (your flight might sit on the tarmac for a couple hours, be fully ready to meet people and talk to people -- be and act normal and all will be well.

I recoment TxKimberly's blog "Traveling Transgendered". She's been doing it for years and documenting her experiences. Very enlightening. See her special blog of tips and advice for T-travelers: http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html.

Make sure that you are confident going into the women's restroom in airports. If dressed appropriately, no on will notice.

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

Best, Rhonda

Thanks Kim, your blog post was excellent as was LeannL's thread. It did calm my nerve a whole bunch! All of you ladies have great posts and recommendations. I am going to do it and I'll even see if I can snap a few pictures while I am at it!
    Last edited by shawnsheila; 05-31-2013 at 01:15 PM.