Thread: Sometimes loud and bubbly gets under my skin.

Sometimes loud and bubbly gets under my skin.

I would hate to count the times that I've gone clothes shopping in Steph mode and en drab for Steph. Typical scenario is: I walk through the door, sales assistant wanders over and asks if I need help and we go about our business. Never really raising an eyebrow from any others in the store. No, she doesn't grasp her throat and wheez "What? Girl clothes....... for YOU?" While bring undue attention from everyone.
    And I never really get nervous any more. (Once in a while yea, but not as a matter of practice and it's over quick)
    BUT.........
    I just happened to walk into White House/Black Market (a ladies boutique chain) after work the other day ( I was in my work field clothes -kind of dirty and all-) to get a gift certificate for my wife's birthday card. Normal everyday guy stuff. So when I walk in I must have made it two steps before I heard this gal (very loud) "Hi sir, can I help you?" FROM ACROSS THE STORE! Now, there were other women in the store and EVERY head turned to see what I was up to. And they all watched pretty much everything I was doing until I left. Normally I would have perused the racks and checked things out ( love their fashions and shoes) but I felt so out of place and caught so off guard that I just got the gift certificate and left. I know she meant no harm and was just trying to be her bubbly sales self... so I think I will make another trip in their and chat with her about the approach needed on males that come in. If it rattled a season shopper like me I can hardly think about the feeling a newbee would get. They would drop to the floor and slink out FAST! She'd loose rather than gain sales.
    Does that kind of approach bother anyone else? Or was I just super sensitive that day?

Steph,

I agree, that was pretty unprofessional on her part. I have to admit, whenever i've gone into a store in drab mode (because something has caught my eye when going to or from a restaurant during lunch), I've been treated very well even before i tell am looking for me. I like an SA who is quiet and professional. Young ladies that are overly bubbly and loud just turn me off.

Well, at least you weren't in girl mode and the SA announced "Hi sir, can I help you"!

But I do get what you are saying. It is mostly forced and that is what is annoying to me.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Tough call I have never had that happen at a clothing store.

I just hate it when they page over the PA system something like:"Man at check out needs price check on eye makeup." I really don't care but they don't think before they blurt it out for the entire store to hear.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    Your reply could have been, " Yes, I need help!" in as loud a voice as you feel comfortable with and when she got closer you could have simply asked the question; "Do you greet everyone who enters the store that way or were you just trying to embarass me?" If she replied yes that she did, you could have simply said that you felt uncomfortable when drawing the attention of everyone in the store to your entrance and if that was her intention then she needed to give you an apology. Then go about your business as though the incident had never happened.

In this way, you are being polite (lady-like, even if dressed in male mode) but clearly communicating your discomfort as a customer and specifically not going to tolerate abusive or harassing or bullying by a sales associate.

You might send an email to the manager of the store and if none is available, a note might be sufficient but to allow such behavior/attitude to go is that you accept or condone it. If you were upset enough to share your experience with us, then you should let management know that you were not comfortable with that type of greeting.

I dont mind the bubbly approach in any store as its usually accompanied with a smile.

I hate the loud approach in any store because the whole store does not need to know what I am buying
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Complex Lolita...
    I’m never bothered by people who are enthusiastic about what they do, even if it’s all for show. I’ve been in many stores where I’ve had to go looking for someone, and THAT hurts sales, OK? I would love to be that enthusiastic at all times, but it’s very exhausting, and it’s not ME...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston
    I don’t mind the bubbly approach in any store as its usually accompanied with a smile.
    I find it to be refreshing. People here in Kansas are rather “bubbly” for some reason. I like it, because I can remember coming across many an apathetic sales employee when I lived in Massachusetts...
    Last edited by Frédérique; 06-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Silver Member
    The SA might be working on commission, desperate to make a sale and might have gotten a bit carried away.

I always have a hard time dealing with hyper cheerful people, not that I have anything against them personally of course, but it really conflicts with my own rather somber personality and I find it irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post
    I dont mind the bubbly approach in any store as its usually accompanied with a smile.

I hate the loud approach in any store because the whole store does not need to know what I am buying
    A bit off topic, but I hate using the self-service machines that say '5... dollars, please place the item on the belt. 10... dollars and seventy...five cents. Please place the item on the belt..." and when you are done, they announce your total to the whole world. I understand why they are designed to work that way - but I don't need the whole world knowing how much I just spent on groceries, or clothes, or computers, or whatever.

Deedee :climbing down:

Oh, yeah, the only time I have problems with a smiling SA is when I'm at the health club at 5:30 AM, just barely functional, and the attendant behind the counter has a bright smile and is all bubbly. It should be against the law to smile before 6 AM...

Deedee :the grouch:
    Last edited by Deedee Skyblue; 06-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.

It canbe a bit offputting, but generally it gives me an opportunity to interact with the sales staff.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

when I worked retail, one loss prevention technique was to greet every customer when they came in the door. This SA may have been doing that but was unable to come over to you.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Loud from across the room has happened to me while en femme and I find it unprofessional and annoying.
    I find it really fun when the SA addresses me personally, makes sure I am finding what I need, or goes out of her way to see that I am getting the sizes I need and even bringing additional clothing for me to try on.

I am usually very guarded with any male SA unless they display total gay tendencies. No offense but they seem so safe. There is a male SA at a Maurice's that I frequent that goes out of his way to say hi and give me a hug.

The other day I was in a Nine West factory outlet trying on shoes en femme and the female SA was polite and helpful. I was the only one in the store but timing put me in the middle of a shift change and the next SA up was a guy. He would not leave me alone. He would suggest shoes, pick out others, watch me try them on, and follow me to the next pair. Almost like a puppy dog. I figured at some point he was going to give me his number. I was overwhelmed, self conscience, and confused. Finally the phone rang and I slipped out while he was busy. Now I have decided I want to go back just to make small talk with him and see if he dresses.

All you Lady's need to shop with STACY ,,, Check it out ?? Lady announces may I help you ? YES you May ,, Get me a Dressing Room Ready cuz I just got Paid ,,, An its Party Time ,,lol,,,, Hows that ? Check there face out then ? An that anyway I am dress that day !! You see me how you see me ,,,

Sounds as if she was trying to make a sales quota and this was her way of crying "dibs" on you. I wonder if seeing you there put dollar signs in her eyes. Still I agree ... her approach was unprofessional.
    Reine

Hello Stephanie,

Yelling across the store to me might have me yelling across the store they had lost a sale and let the other customers and staff draw their own conclusions. If a manager hears me, so be it.

That may be true, Lorileah, but there is no excuse for unprofessional behavior.

Chico's is the parent company of White House Black Marker and Soma. All their SA's are required to greet all who walk through door immediately. While they must also offer to help, it is not a requirement to ask from across the store. I would have also found it irritating.

I frequently shop all three. GG customers from time to time come out the dressing rooms only partially clad. This may have been a way to alert one such customer to stay in the room. Still no excuse.

quite a fun group here.

Hopefully that's the worst thing that happened to you all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    quite a fun group here.

Hopefully that's the worst thing that happened to you all day.
    You got that right ,,lol,,, I can think of a lot worse that;s for sure !! How bout some BRAT kid following you around the store screaming you dress like a GIRL ? You wear girl stuff ,,lol,,,,

Platinum Member
    Not me. I guess I've always enjoyed loud, bubbly people...perhaps because I'm just the opposite .

Banned Read only
    I agree with you Stephanie 100%. That kind of behavior really erks me so much too.They can see you long before you see them, they see you're about to step into their store, and the door is open and you can still hear all the sound outside before you get the first foot in the door and they yell out, may I help you? To me, that is overkill on trying to be nice or be a good sales person. It's not just at a clothing store either. I can go to a auto parts store and it happens. If they would just wait till the door is closed and then ask me if I need help, would be okay I guess. But it has happened to me many times where I open the door to step into a place, my first step is inside and my other foot is still outside and they blurt out "can I hep ye? It almost makes me want to just say no and walk out. Hardware stores seem to be the worst at that kind of thing. They have that cow bell on the door that sort of distracts the customer for a second and it is at that precise time that the hardware store asks "can I help you? So, if any SA's are reading this, the rules are, #1, allow the customer to be all the way inside the store,#2, when asking the customer if they need help, it should only be inside a 10 foot radius and no farther than that. It shouldn't be asked like 25 feet away.
    I have told this short story a few times on here. I chose a blouse at a local goodwill. nervously I walked to the counter, instantly 3 other customers walked up behind me as it was wrung up, the SA girl lifted it high above her head and asked me, are you sure this will fit you? I embarrassingly said, oh no it's not for me it's for my wife. She was so wrong to do that.