Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be okay with being a crossdresser?

How to be okay with being a crossdresser?

I feel bad about myself! Help? I need tips on accepting myself!

Banned Read only
    I do not think there are "tips" that you follow and the result is acceptance. For me, it is what it is. ItCross dressing is odd but I am certain I was born this way. What's not to accept? This is no different than being gay, I think. You are what you are. You can deny it and be unhappy or accept it an be happy. Easy choice.

YMMV
    find someone or a group of people you can dress around that won't judge you. Then you can mirror the acceptance that they show you towards yourself.
    "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom."

"My actual gender identity emerged as I healed from the scars of childhood not because of those scars" - Kelly J

Gold Member
    You just enjoy wearing different clothes; Nothing wrong in doing that.
    I still like girls only, so much that I like dressing like one.
    Rader

Be loving and kind to other people. Accept them. And realizing no one is entirely normal...accept yourself. God has a sense of humor, but He knows you can do this.

Ive struggled with this myself.What others think of me is none of my business.. Once you accept yourself it seems that others just follow suit. Get to where you ok with you and just be it. You cant expect other to instantly accept something you have been dealing with for a lifetime. Find someone you trust and if their cool with it , it helps you be cool with it.

All my life I felt bad about myself for what I do. One day, not long ago, I had to ask myself "why is it ok for my lgbt friends but not me? After realized it was just as ok for me as my friends, I no longer felt so badly.

If you need to talk feel free to message me!

Hug
    Rita
    Last edited by Princess Grandpa; 06-29-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Society tells you its wrong, religion [sometimes] tells you it’s a sin, But tell me why is it really wrong?..........waiting for an answer…………still waiting?………..

There is no answer to that. Why? because there isn’t anything wrong with C.D.ing.

Think for yourself. And then slip into that dress girl.
    Last edited by suzy1; 06-29-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Are we talking shame about dressing here?
    Tell us more about your situation.

Banned Read only
    Before responding I checked your age (19), status (college kid) and read your other posts. If you are feeling badly about yourself, i.e., cross dressing, I would say at your age that is normal. There are societal norms and expectations. It is not normal or customary for a male to dress as a woman. That being said, there is nothing illegal about cross dressing. Sure, a DUI patrol could pull you over when en femme and you may feel embarrassed, but, appearing as a woman is not going to get you in trouble illegally. However, society is not so accepting. Sure, you can walk down the street and maybe not get a second look, or a comment, maybe a look of disapproval, etc. The challenge is how the people you interact with on a daily basis are going to view you. That includes school mates, friends and relatives, employers. That's the challenge.

Beware! Once the cat is out of the bag, the genie out of the bottle, she is not going to get back in. Obviously, you have a computer. You can find a lot of information that will validate the fact the is NOTHING wrong with you. Most cross dressers went through the exact same phase you're going through, and, frankly, for many, if not most, it is a lifelong struggle, balancing act.

My recommendation is to be discreet. Just throwing yourself out there in a dress is not the wisest thing to do. Why? Because there is no way you can undue the potential negative reactions for which you are prepared at age 19. How are you going to handle the non acceptance of others before you accept yourself?

In the other posts you asked whether you can or should limit your cross dressing to lingerie. I started that way. I wore nighties to bed with my wife's approval. My cross dressing developed slowly as I felt more comfortable with myself and my wife's reactions which was non acceptance. I tested the waters to see what may happen if I just throw myself out there. For me? Well, I thought it was not wise.

Start out slow. Wearing lingerie in privacy is a good way to start. Expand when you feel comfortable. Above all, moderation is the key to successful living. Don't act impulsively. Think before you act or commit yourself. That's good advice for cross dressing or anything else in life.

Quote Originally Posted by mary something View Post
    find someone or a group of people you can dress around that won't judge you. Then you can mirror the acceptance that they show you towards yourself.
    ::flowers:: awesome advice. Being able to accept myself is much easier since my wife loves and accepts me!
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Think of your dressing desires like people look at modern art.. I see a sculpture of bend metal or a painting that looks like the artist just stood back and threw paint on the canvas..But the artist seen his /her work as beauty that only a certain part of society can understand and appreciate this can bring a hefty price in the end for the work created..But in the wrong part of society the work could also flop calling the work child's play or wonder what kind of drugs it takes a so called artist to create such work..

There is some acceptance but there will never be complete acceptance in a society you know what type of art you are displaying be wise enough to know what gallery to display it at..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Banned Read only
    Would it help to know that almost EVERYone at this Forum started just like you and/or went through "your" phase at some point? 596 views and 11 replies should tell you something. It's natural for a man's vision to easily help him get to the "promised land". It's our most basic programming and a "trait" that very few females will ever be "subjected to" for their own benefit. [Thinking with the little head]

Rather silly to feel bad about about it isn't it?

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/......&highlight=

Julia,
    There are no be all end all tips to give, ask a specific question and everyone will answer to the best of their ability.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Since crossdressing is no different than being left-handed, or tall, or blonde, or "hefty" just think of it in those terms. There are people who will ridicule, or bully, others for ANY reason if you are at ease with being tall, or red-headed, or left-handed then just accept that crossdressing is no big deal.
    Ambigendrous
    Wealth should not be measured by how much you have, but by how little you need - anon

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    FWIW....

Many people can not accept themselves no mater what their life stye/ interests etc.

One either likes themselves in spite of their perceive flaws or not . I'm referring to liking one's self not to be confused with being conceited or self centered.

If one does not really like themselves they can never be really happy.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 06-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    If one does not really like themselves they can never be really happy.
    Words of wisdom!
    You are so right Barbara.

I'm 65 years old, Years ago when I was maybe 7or 8 I would get the urge to put om something that belonged to a girl as my aunts shoes. Anything I would wind if no one was around I'd have it on. It's not something I just one day said I'm going to dress like a girl.I have been hiding it for all this time. About 7 years ago I told my wife (long story). What I'm trying to say is It was alway in me to dress it's something I need to do not just something I want to do.Lots of us tryed to NOT DRESS ever again only to come back to it. Just relax and enjoy youself it will make life a lot easyer trust me, I've been in this life a few years.I sure your a really good person
    Angie

Spend some time at walmart. You will feel soooo normal afterwards.

Silver Member
    I was a guilt-ridden TV when I was your age too. Oh, was I ever...!

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to overcome your guilt. It is something you will have to work though in your own mind, take all of the facts on both sides of the argument and weigh it out and come to a conclusion for yourself.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Growing older and avoiding attachments can do wonders for your sense of well being and self confidence.

You might have set a forum record for threads started in the shortest time. 8 already!

You may as well ask how to accept that you have your ex's name tattooed on your forearm.

Um, start by googling up the video to Madonna's "What it feels like for a girl". I'd link it, but I've had so many posts edited lately because I inadvertently broke the rules here that I'm trying really hard to stay out of trouble (hard to believe, I know).

Second, work on figuring out that there's nothing wrong with being a girl. I wrote up an article on my website about a culture of abuse that runs somewhat counter to the r*** culture being discussed by feminists and other people who care about women, here's a quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Stupid Web Comic's Blog
    men grow up in a culture that teaches them men are dominant and need to always prove their strength and sexual prowess. A man's healthy libido is judged by how often he gets laid, and how many different partners he has. He is always under pressure to sleep around more, to accept any random sex offered to him. He is also always warned of the consequences should he get someone pregnant. This is what it means to be a man.
    Add to it that a man can NEVER adopt any habits, interests, or feelings that might be even remotely considered feminine. For reference, check out the brony community and their haters.

YOU have to eliminate those attitudes within you. Become a feminist, basically. Understand that there's nothing wrong with being a girl, period. No exceptions. Women aren't automatically submissive nor inferior. When you understand that, you will hopefully be able to understand that having a woman inside you doesn't mean you're automatically submissive or inferior, and that there's nothing wrong with THAT woman inside you.

Third, find a way to internalize what Iggy Pop said: "I'm not ashamed to dress like a woman because I don't think it's shameful to be a woman."

I truly believe that the fundamental reason nobody wants to be a crossdresser is because of this ultra-hyper view of men and masculinity. That's the biggest barrier, I think. "I don't want people to think I'm gay" (what you wear says nothing about sexual orientation, not that being gay is bad either), "I don't want to look ridiculous" (but you want to express yourself), etc.

Not sure what tips to give someone with guilt and/or shame but me,never had guilt etc.I always fully accepted it even when very young.I never "purged".It made me feel so good about myself that I thought of it as a gift.And a gift I'd never want to lose.

Maybe you should try looking at it that way?

After a very long time, I have been dressing almost 60 years. I just accept my blessing and live my life to the fullest. Best Wishes !
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

A long time ago, I used to feel ashamed that I was not like every other guy. .........Thankfully, now I'm glad that I'm not like every other guy.

And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't change a thing.