Thread: Web forum shows lots of support for wearing skirts/dresses

Web forum shows lots of support for wearing skirts/dresses

I was just reading through a discussion on the site 'Reddit' where people can ask and respond to pretty much any type of question. The question in this thread was "What would you do a lot more if it were socially acceptable?"

Reading down through the responses, I noticed quite a few 'Wear a dress' or 'wear a skirt' type responses from guys. Not only that, but those responses had lots of 'up votes', indicating that other people agreed with the answer.

It makes me think that there are a lot more people out there who would enjoy skirts or dresses if it was socially acceptable, but still don't consider themselves crossdressers.

Here is a link to the discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...were_socially/
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

It would be interesting to know if the male responders wanting to wear a skirt or dress were proscribed by law, national, religious, or otherwise, from wearing the skirt or dress.

At first, i was thinking it was asking girls. I suppose a few of them might like wearing them more, too.

I went and took a quick look but most of the conversation I saw was about "getting your junk stuck in bike spokes" and cloaks.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Banned Read only
    Well, I'm not sure what "quite a few" means to you, but this topic had no more points than "scratching one's crotch in public."

I don't think the number of cross dressers is any greater than we suspect today. It's a small number.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Joanne~ View Post
    I went and took a quick look but most of the conversation I saw was about "getting your junk stuck in bike spokes" and cloaks.
    LOL, yeah. That site also get a lot of kids, so there are quite a few 'farting' type answers. But as you scroll down, there still are more than I'd have expected responses about dressing. And a good sign is that when people DO post about wearing a dress or skirt, they aren't being attacked, even by the more immature posters.

Not perfect by any means, but still a step in the right direction I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what "quite a few" means to you, but this topic had no more points than "scratching one's crotch in public."
    I came across at least half a dozen separate posts about dressing. All of them had positive responses and more upvotes than downvotes (which would have shown as a negative number). I guess my point might be that if this discussion had taken place even 10 years ago the results would have been quite different. I don't think many people at all would have publicly posted that 'crossdressing' is something they'd do if it were more socially acceptable.
    Last edited by Cristi; 07-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Statistically speaking...and this is as of 2010, but an average of 20% of the male population crossdresses on a regular basis. Whether this is privately in the home or publicly doesnt matter. If you include those one timers who simply try it on to see what its all about but doesnt ever do anything with it, the number is estimated to be far higher...roughly 40-50%. Over 20% of all lingerie purchased on the internet is by men, for themselves.

I dont remember the article that i read that in, but you could probably google it. It took some digging to find it and was a research study based in Europe but included the US in its statistical analysis.

That shows that though we are not a "majority," we do hold a large number on a global scale. That is definitely a large enough amount that if all those guys went public, it would be very quickly accepted as just another fashion/ style and would be accepted by the majority of society. It all boils down to the power of the masses. When a large enough group makes a stand, change happens. If everyone stays silent or hides, nothing will ever change.

For it to become widely accepted, there would need to be a major event to get it into the mainstream media. Some major designer or famous person would need to spearhead the movement. Unfortunatly what most designers come out with is totally out there or just plain ugly or only look good on young skinny models.
    Especially during the summer wouldn't a knee length or midi skirt be cooler than even shorts. Keep it a solid color or denim and maybe you can get your average joe to wear it. Us CDs could of course go nicer lol.

Don't let this subject become a hoary argument about rights.
    The moderators will close it.
    There are a lot of males that show a preference for wearing skirts, whatever their reasons.
    Scots wear kilts, maybe look at the tradition behind that for a start.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Lynn View Post
    Statistically speaking...and this is as of 2010, but an average of 20% of the male population crossdresses on a regular basis.
    I doubt that. I would really like to see a citation for that. The only thing I could find on Google was from Lynn Conway who gives a maximum likely prevalence of cross-dressing of 5%. See http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conw...revalence.html

I have to say I find even the 5% number surprisingly high; my guess would be 1%-2%.

But just because relatively few men crossdress, that doesn't mean it's bad, harmful or perverted. It's simply uncommon.

Silver Member
    Crossdressing numbers are estimates. Varying definitions, frequency of dressing, intent while dressed, degree dressed, honesty in response, personal privacy - all prevent accurate crossdressing statistics from being compiled.

I do believe, however, that if the 5% estimate has some degree of accuracy and relevance - it is still a large population.

Further, if there are 5% of males who crossdress - then larger percentages: are curious, intrigued or interested; would explore if they could (SOs, children, parents, siblings, money prevent them); or have experimented or crossdressed without admission?

If it were acceptable or if guys did not have to face family, friends and coworkers - how many might try: getting their ears pierced; growing their hair longer; getting it colored and styled; getting manicures or wearing nail polish; removing hair from legs, arms, backs, necks, ears; wearing feminine-looking jewelry; wearing articles of clothing that is considered feminine or feminine looking; wearing some makeup?

It would be interesting to speculate how many men have secretly experimented with crossdressing to some degree or who would if they could.

I doubt 20% of the male population crossdresses on a regular basis, but maybe many more would crossdress if they could.

Banned Read only
    How many CDers are really "out there"? Impossible to say. It's a pretty safe bet though that at least 95% have no desire whatsoever to leave their residence based on the plethora of CDing sites that comes up if one chooses to Google anything CD related. ALL those sites [reported here] selling "giant" high heels are likely selling very few pairs to females I would wager. I myself, personally don't "look for" CDers when I am out and about. WHY on earth would I? Maybe it's more common than any of us think?

As for skirts or dresses? Do you mean JUST skirts or dresses? I think what you would find is that very few folks out in the RW would care as long as you treated them decently. I am sure there must be some advantages of skirts or dresses over shorts or regular pants? They are JUST clothes. [if you are talking of wearing them in male mode]

As for Web support? Anonymity almost guarantees some degree of error, if not a large one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post

Scots wear kilts, maybe look at the tradition behind that for a start.
    A lot of men wear kilts for work. I remember the old Screensavers show where they wore kilts on one episode

http://www.utilikilts.com/

If peoples minds ever change ,maybe one day we will be more accepted .

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki A. View Post
    For it to become widely accepted, there would need to be a major event to get it into the mainstream media. Some major designer or famous person would need to spearhead the movement. Unfortunatly what most designers come out with is totally out there or just plain ugly or only look good on young skinny models.
    Especially during the summer wouldn't a knee length or midi skirt be cooler than even shorts. Keep it a solid color or denim and maybe you can get your average joe to wear it. Us CDs could of course go nicer lol.
    Let's have a Skirt Day. We'll declare some arbitrary day (maybe Douglas Adams's birthday, since Towel Day is on his death day, and that's weird) where men wear skirts. Women too, but for them every day can be Skirt Day.

Make it an event that doesn't happen during Pride month.

And every closeted CD can participate! Because you're doing it as a fashion statement for manly men, and at some point you're doing it to make it safer/easier for you to come out of the closet.

With the right campaign, we can even get ladies to put pressure on their boyfriends/husbands to participate.

When it comes down to it, the day it becomes socially acceptable for everyone to see a man in a skirt, that day it will be as safe to be a crossdresser as it is to be gay and proud.

I thought this was appropriate....

https://m.facebook.com/#!/home.php?s...ser=1180264776

That link just goes to the mobile home site for me (which looks weird in Firefox on a desktop)