Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Trouble

Car Trouble

I know many of you ladies always keep a change of clothes in the car when out,as I do as well.
    However,what if your out with a friend or family member?
    A gg friend of mine,whom I've recently come out to,has said she wanted to go shopping with Natasha.
    Well we went shoe shopping a few days ago and she ended up getting a flat tire.
    She has a Dodge Caravan,and anyone who has ever had to change a flat on one of those things....its a real pain in the A%% to get the spare down from its place of storage! Specially in four inch heels! We both had heels on,and she isn't all
    that knowledgeable on how to change a tire anyway,so I had to do it.
    Took the better part of an hour to get it done.
    Has anyone else experienced car trouble when enfemme,and not in the situation to have a change of clothes on hand?

Natasha

Join a car club (AAA) or make sure your insurance has roadside assistance coverage.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Changing a tire on the side of a busy highway.
    Although I was in full guy mode, Definitely gave me something to think about when
    driving enfemme. I will always have a change of clothes close by.
    I would hate to have to do that in my pretty clothes.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Quote Originally Posted by mikiSJ View Post
    Join a car club (AAA) or make sure your insurance has roadside assistance coverage.
    Yeah that makes sense. But at this particular moment that wasn't an option,aside from that it was her vehicle,not mine.
    I always do have a change of clothes in my own car.

[ it was her vehicle,not mine.]

If you have AAA Roadside assistance it matters NOT who's vehicle it is. As long as you are a AAA member you're good to know.
    Joni

It depends on who your roadside assistance is with,a lot of companies here in Canada,or at least Ontario,cover the vehicle,
    not the driver...well they do cover the driver,but the vehicles are registered by plate number,so in this situation if I did have coverage (which I do through my cell phone provider,which covers my car only) it wouldn't do any good.
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 07-08-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before yours

There has been a thread or two concerning this..Tyvek suit and gloves and a Kneeling pad in your emergency kit should ease the anxiety..or join "triple A"..
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Sorry,let me clarify what my original question was!
    Has any ladies here been out with someone else in THEIR vehicle and had car trouble,where a stashed change of clothes is unavailable?

I guess the days of "knights in shining armor" pulling over to assist ladies on the road is a thing of the past. I do keep doughnuts in my car just in case I get pulled over, however.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I stopped.carrying back up boy clothes years ago. If I'm out as Sally, I deal with things as Sally. Had a flat tire a few years ago on a Friday night heading out to the clubs. Had on a dress I had bought just an hour before. I got the old tire off, the spare on, and everything back in the trunk. Not a spot of grease or dirt on the new outfit!
    Sally

Yes, I always carry a small bag with a change for male clothes. I haven't used them yet and hope that I never will. But, I also realize that changing a tire or being in a not so safe situation with car problems justify to me the little effort it takes to carry that bag of clothes.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 07-07-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni T View Post
    [ it was her vehicle,not mine.]

If you have AAA Roadside assistance it matters NOT who's vehicle it is. As long as you are a AAA member you're good to know.
    Joni
    Though not a AAA member I'd always thought that also. Unfortunately my dad found out otherwise just last weekend. He was driving a rental and AAA wouldn't help him because it wasn't his car.

Gold Member
    Just happened a couple of nights ago. I also don't carry spare clothes with me. Went out with my wife to a movie, dinner and grocery shopping. When were done shopping, I turned the key on the car and nothing. My wife remembered seeing a friend inside and called her and sure enough she had cables. The only catch is that she wanted to hook them up. Every attempt resulted in not a single turn of the engine. As she was saying she had to go, a gentleman (Knight in Shining Armor Kate ) came up and asked if he could try. So he pulled around and while he was hooking up his car and I was hooking up mine, the sprinklers came on pointing right at the front of my car. Well, nice and drenched, I gave it a try and I was back in business. Him and his wife were just wonderful through the whole thing and we talked for a little bit before pulling away.

Several years ago I was on my way home from Pridefest with a friend when my whole electrical charging system went kaflooey. A young gentleman who thought I was a damsel in distress gave me a jump start but it wasnt enough for me to make it home and my car died a second time. I managed to coast into a well lit parking lot and called AAA for a tow. The tow truck driver read me immediately but was very courteous and delivered me, my friend, and my dead car back home in a professional manner.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Being an automotive technician, I guess I have a different way of seeing this problem. And probably would have changed the tire quite a bit faster.

However, if I could actually pass, my friend and I probably would have resorted to the age old technique of being damsels in distress.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I had pulled in to a station to get gas and heard air escaping from a rear tire on my Mustang Grrrrrrr.
    Put the gas in and rolled carefully to the side of the lot out of the way to change the tire.
    I had a white BF jacket, black mini skirt and 3in heeled ankle boots.
    Opened the trunk and got the wrench and the jack out and went to work.
    I keep a pair of Snap On mechanics gloves in the trunk just for times like this.

Banned Read only
    What's a favorite GG saying? If it has tires or balls, it's going to give you trouble

No, but I have been pulled over several times and it always gets awkward when I have to show my driver's license.....

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Yes, I always carry a small bag with a change for male clothes. I haven't used them yet and hope that I never will. But, I also realize that changing a tire or being in a not so safe situation with car problems justify to me the little effort it takes to carry that bag of clothes.
    I totally agree. The solution is to try and never be in that more worse situation.
    Carrying an extra bag is trouble, but better to have and not need, than need and not have.
    I have been in a situation where a vehicle breakdown while dressed required me to leave the vehicle for the night and take a cab home.

If I was riding with another driver, I would put my change-to-male-mode bag in the back/trunk of their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by kathtx View Post
    Though not a AAA member I'd always thought that also. Unfortunately my dad found out otherwise just last weekend. He was driving a rental and AAA wouldn't help him because it wasn't his car.
    Interesting. Unless AAA Texas is different than AAA Calif, it says right on their website: "Your membership covers you, not your vehicle, so you can call whether you are in your own car, a friend’s, or a rental."

Norma,

Its the same here in Florida. I rented a car in Florida, and while driving to Ohio, had a tire literally shatter somewhere in North Carolina. AAA came,put on the mini spare, and led me to a tire dealer and bought a new tire. They didn't have a rental agent for my vehicle in that town. Think the town was called Back Water. People nice and friendly though.

Bobbi

Hi.

Can i rub it in. he he ......Okay lets see. i worked on tractors heavy trucks . well you get the idear have our own two 15 toners

Oh forgot this is about women. yes i carry my overalls you should know that all the gear to do on the side of roads work. allways carry spare clothes, come on womens only sorry about the high heels , no b ........ way ,,,boots yes....okay back to earth. ,
    iv stoped for others dont think any thing of it, got the know how ill use it when needed, if i have to get under neath ,so, ill do it ill just put my overalls on . i mean my hands will be grubby dont care ill clean them ,,, but oh oh hands nails ....whats a bit of muck & oil. so , i am a woman does not stop this kid,

Mystic lady .

I like that. & when they are both together, oh ...yea......keep on moveing....yes.

...noeleena...

Done it (damned flat) on my dually diesel on the interstate....nice dress, 5" wedges....oh well,live and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLady View Post
    What's a favorite GG saying? If it has tires or balls, it's going to give you trouble
    NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE BUT I LOVE IT, I REALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLady View Post
    Yeah I can pretty much relate to that Victoria.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning