Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came Out To My Parents Tonight

Came Out To My Parents Tonight

I started off by telling them that I had something to say and said that I wear women's clothing. My mum laughed and said they had known for ages, recalling all the times she had found my sisters clothes stashed away somewhere in my room and once when she actually caught me dressed up. She never confronted me about it because it would have been embarrassing for me and they thought it was a phase that would pass. When they saw the photo's of me dressed up for a comic con under the pretense of a bet was when they finally knew for sure. They both said that they accepted it fully (my Dad was especially adamant about that) but expressed confusion as to why I did it, my mum saying that men just look stupid in dresses because it doesn't suit them and they hold themselves wrong. I suppose it's going to take a bit of time to make them really realize that there is a big difference between a non-binary person such as myself and a guy who just likes wearing dresses (indeed I need to make them aware that there is such a thing as non-binary genders) but hopefully my art project on the subject will educate them as it progresses. Considering my Mum thinks that Eddie Izzard just crossdresses as a gimmick I might have my work cut out for me a bit >_<

They did both say they'd be fine with me dressing around the house and my Dad expressed quite a bit of interest in my project even though he's not really into art, so that's always good. He did briefly ask if I wanted to become a woman but it seemed to be in a more jokey way than a serious way.

Got a long way to go with this I think but can't really ask for a much better start.
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

Well, you had the hard part out of the way ahead of time. Now for the complicated part - why are you doing this?

Good luck tonight, and let us know how it goes.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    That is awesome!!
    Sounds like some great parents.Good luck moving on.

Hey, that's great news! Coming out is scary, but makes everything easier in the long run.

Ria...I'm sure that you feel more relieved....its great when your family just accepts you for who you are

Quote Originally Posted by xdressed View Post
    Considering my Mum thinks that Eddie Izzard just crossdresses as a gimmick I might have my work cut out for me a bit
    I had the pleasure of meeting Eddie a few years ago (I've written about this a few times on here - maybe search older threads for his name to find them.) Eddie told me that his father was very supportive of him crossdressing when he was young - long before he became famous. Also, I know that Eddie is planning to run for public office in the future, so I *think* he's changing his public image in order to be taken more seriously once he gets to that stage in life.

Good luck to you, and all the best!

Ann
    (Son of a crossdresser, and father of one as well!)

Platinum Member
    I can't think of a better result. Good for you and your parents too!

That's a great story and it sounds like you have really cool, accepting family and friends. I like your page on Deviant Art.

Thats great news!
    But isn't it a bummer that they knew and never said anything. .. it could of saved a lot of stressing, lol.

It's a great start and it is even better knowing that they both are willing to talk to you about it. Good luck to you all, and thank you for sharing this with us!
    Di

That's fantastic news and kudos to your parents for their brilliant response! I hope things continue in the same vein, good luck with the art project!

Beth x

Platinum Member
    Hi Ria, I'm so happy for you, It's great that you got past that barrier at such a young age.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Ria,

That's great news! I'm glad it went so well. I think my parents would have a very similar reaction, but it's still a matter of when for me. I hope the great start rolls right into a great journey!

-Bree

I think you are off toa good start. Be careful and don't push too quickly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That is such great news. Frankly I can't understand how parents could react poorly. I know lots of them do but I sure don't get it. I am very happy for you!

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Awesome!that went well!
    I hope it works the same when we have "the talk"with our daughter! Anyhow GRATS! I am glad for you! You took a gigantic step in that the presents are usually the hardest to tell IMHO
    Do not judge someone by what they wear . There's a person inside there!

It is so nice to here your parents have an opem mind! I am sure you are relieved to talk about it and excited to know you have support. It is funny that they new something because of the clothes being found but did not want to embarras you. I wonder how many of us were caught and never new it!

Thank you so much everyone for the comments and support ^_^

Personally I am glad they never mentioned anything back when they first knew. At that point I did not really understand myself and it would have been pretty awkward and embarrassing talking to them about it at the time. It took a while for me to understand myself and I'm still figuring some things out really.

Good news indeed That must be a real weight off your mind

"my Mum thinks that Eddie Izzard just crossdresses as a gimmick " .. like Kenny Everett, that sort of thing? .. funnily enough, I was ( and am ) listening to Eddie on R4xtra when I read your post just now

We're lucky to live in ( basically ) mature, agnostic and easy-going ol' Britain, you know?

Hugs,

Brenda
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

It's awesome that they are so supportive of you. The best part of telling my parents was that afterwards when they told me they were proud of me for something I didn't hear the inner voice questioning if they would still be proud if they really knew.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

...so this year, you will have to do Halloween in style to show them how good you can do it and how much fun it can be...that's what I would do.
    Chickie

Quote Originally Posted by xdressed View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for the comments and support ^_^

Personally I am glad they never mentioned anything back when they first knew. At that point I did not really understand myself and it would have been pretty awkward and embarrassing talking to them about it at the time. It took a while for me to understand myself and I'm still figuring some things out really.
    Sweetie you figured it out decades earlier than I did.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Ria,

Congratulations - that is great news. Am very happy they took it well and with understanding. I think that once you start presenting around them, they will get a clearer understanding of what you are about. Keep us posted.

Bree

Ive never had the desire to tell my parents, im sitting here trying to thinking of reasons why I would want to tell them but can't think of 1. Is this odd?

I think they'd probably say ...'well its no surprise considering what you were like as a kid', and im prtetty sure they'd be ok with it, but...just no real desire to tell them.

Well it's not for everyone, but I wanted to be honest to them, I wanted to be able to dress round the house and I wanted to be able to share my art project with them.