Thread: Have you dressed up for your counselor

Have you dressed up for your counselor

I recommend making your next counselor appointment in a dress or nice skirt outfit. I thought it was not only breaking the ice but extremely insightful. I found it very important in helping me deal with the challenges of my cross dressing. I did this about 3 years ago, and I would like to share some Perspective.

My first CD thoughts, desires and some acting out began for over 40 years starting when I was 15-16 years old. Early on it was wearing nylons or having a bra under clothes. The activity ended and in my but by my mid-forties I was wearing camisoles under clothes. Then after I again had few years where CD had become inactive in my life.

Then when I reached my mid 50 This time i became consumed with the desire to really dressing up and having real female experiences such as shopping, traveling and dinners out. I felt driven to explore and to experiences that I would craft in my head. The availability of Digital photography made this more possible and fun so I could see myself and improve how I represented myself. I read articles here and fiction stories. These had not not been available prior to this. I started thinking: “what am I waiting for”, if not now, when?” I found a local photographer who would take photos of Barb, provide a place to change, support and provide coaching, feedback and made feel comfortable. She took tasteful photos of me as Barb. I chose the name to give my appearance and actions and identity that made this easier. All I wanted to do is portray Barb as a well prepared woman in her 50s who still cared about putting the effort into how I looked.

About 4 years ago my wife found my clothes and some of those photos when I was out of town. All I can say that while she was aware of my thoughts, she did not know of my limited acting out. She did not know I had gone so far and she deception and keeping it from her.
    She lost it emotionally; she was very hurt and very scared and briefly left. Coincidently, just a week later, I went to an emergency room with server vertigo. Discovered was non-cancerous brain tumor on my brain stem. That added to her stress and confusion. I think if it weren’t for that, I am not sure she would have stayed with me.

I then agreed to see a counselor as part of a go forward plan. Plus I needed to get another view of this because I also wanted understand this and see if I could get on top of this thing before it consumed me. After about 12 monthly sessions, I asked if I could wear my “Barb clothes” to a session. Part of the reason I did this was to test his acceptance but I also wanted to see if I could relate to him as this Barb and express thoughts from that point of view. I wanted to see his responses in that environment. I wanted to hear my answers to his questions, but make sure I was being honest with myself.

I went as Barb only once but saw him 6 more times. He had been comfortable and made feel the same. It was truly incredible having a conversation dressed as Barb in a skirt, top and boots, it was February. I recall coming out of a salon I use to prepare Barb for outings. I felt light headed; I had never felt so much oxygen in my lungs. Liberating is the closest term I can use to describe the whole event. I recall clearly as I write this. I also still get the kick when walking out on the street dressed well and being overwhelmed with joy, excited that I get to go like this and talk to a person who wanted to talk to me as Barb. I scarce could take it in.
    That was 4 years ago. I am not “cured”. My thoughts and interest has not gone away but it is more measured and under more self-control. I still do not have an accepting spouse; I as Barb is am able to get out 3-4 times a year. I dress up, eat out alone, go shopping and even travel by air and car as Barb. I still love it but the need to dress does not dominate me as much. I went to a few more counseling sessions.

Going to him was good for me; it encouraged me to be more self-aware, more creative and expressive activities even in my daily masculine attire. I am more aware of myself and more self-confident as a man and or as Barb. I will not forget that oxygen rush when I look at the pictures or go by the salon. I find that I can break in to a wide smile that is mine and mine alone, just because I do passed a store I purchased something or a restaurant I have eaten (30 now).

Have you gone to a counselor and done this or would you?
    Barb123
    Last edited by Barb123; 07-17-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: minercorrection

Barb123,

I am now in the middle of my RLT so, yes, I dress all the time for his office. Always neat business slacks, tops, and/or jackets. I think I will ask him about skirts and dresses. I do enjoy the effort put in to really look the best I can, and then let the world appreciate me. This will also allow him to see me as I really am just a little more, a classy, mature woman. He may just surprise me, and have me "glam up" for our next session. Thanks for posting your story.

Bobbi

I usually wear whatever I had on that day when I go to see my therapist. For a while I had my electrolysis appointment the next day so I had a lot of facial hair so I went as a man. Now I can cover the face pretty good with makeup even after a 3 day growth so I can dress as me when I go.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Some do dress to reaffirm to their counselor what they are on about.
    It does show commitment in some cases.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I did for two sessions and my last session I didn't. I tried to be the same person that I was without clothes and it just didn't work. Not one bit. I justified it through how much work it was but in the end I was disappointed with myself for not having gone through the effort. In my first session I was literally in heaven. I felt like a dam had broken and all these emotions that I'd never let myself feel came pouring out. They were my most relavatory sessions I've ever experienced. Our last session although disjointed was still better than not going and we touched on a lot of issues that could be described as helping me define my gender, or lack thereof.

So yes - I get clarity and happiness and stability from therapy. And more so when I show my true self. I'd tell any girl who has any issues to get over them, present who you are, and you'll make progress in ways you never dreamt possible.

Darla

Good topic. I always dress en femme when I see my therapist. I like being comfortable and this helps me open up more. My therapist is a woman and she's very relaxed with however I present myself. I like how you used the word, "liberating." "Freedom" is another word I use to describe how I feel when out and about dressed. There really is nothing else like it for me.

I am dressed when I can be. Occasionally life throws a curve ball and I cant/

I have not dressed for my counselor, my wife and I talked about once before but I don't think I'm ready yet. My wife is the only person that has seen me dressed so far but this is intresting to me, I haven't really thought much about it till now.
    Hugs , Nikki Rich

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    I have dressed for each one of my weekly meetings with my therapist because this is who I am and how I want to present. I also just started seeing a new doctor and I went as Keri a well. I have grow alot as a woman these past few months and I ca definately feel my confidence growing everyday.
    I wish I had the courage to just be myself and live my life how I want

In the past, probably about 11 or 12 years ago, I had. Most of the time we discussed what my feelings were and how my appearance made me feel. Once I went with a pregnancy form I had made and she asked me why I did that. I said because I felt I was bringing forth new life with self revelations. I never do anything without a reason, even if it's just symbolic.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I have worn women's jeans and always underdress, but never have gone all out. I've thought a lot about it, and may eventually get there. It's not her that makes me nervous, it's her other clients in the waiting room that might be there. I don't want to be laughed at, I guess.

Smile

that is how she knew me.
    one day i had to be "him" she did not even know it was me😀