Thread: Going to a Luau!

Going to a Luau!

I will be attending the Luau hosted by the River City Gems this Saturday night. I am meeting Miki and Allie SF from this forum. My wife will not be there as she is taking our son to a concert that afternoon. The timing will not allow her to help me with my makeup. She is a Mary Kay rep and a fantastic makeup resource. I still am a little intimidated about doing my eyes. I was a little anxious about it but I found a solution. I called the local Marinellos beauty school and made an appointment for Saturday afternoon. It is only $10 for makeup application. I told the young lady on the phone what I needed and she said no problem. She said I have just the right person that can help you. I know I have to grow and learn this on my own but I did not want to look bad as this is the first time I have attended a Gems function.
    Suzanne

Don't forget your grass skirt.

I know. The best I can come up with is a black skirt with a purple floral top.
    Suzanne

I went to a luau couple of years ago at a friend's place out in the country, had a great time. The dress code called for grass skirts for the girls, and we found some paper ones at -- dare I say it? -- Hobby Lobby. I have to admit, it was a fun thing to wear to a party. But if you're not up for that, have you thought about a white skirt, or even shorts? That would be more summery. Just a thought.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I'd go with a nice tropical print dress myself. And some wedge espadrilles.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

The Gems events are the best and with Allie as your wingwoman you can't go wrong!

Suzanne, I'm delighted you will be attending the Gems luau on Saturday. Please do not worry and stress too much over how you look. You will be warmly welcomed and accepted no matter what. You will find a wide range of presentations, styles and abilities. It seems like you have found a great solution to your makeup situation so I'm sure you will look fine. The most important thing is to have a great time. Miki and Allie will definitely help to make that happen. There will be a lot of food, drink, fun and wonderful Gems to meet. It will be quite toasty on Saturday (welcome to Sacramento) so wear something cool and comfortable. I will be trying my best not to melt once I get there at 6. There are at least 2 other forum members who will be there, also. At the moment, we have 41 RSVPs and expect a few more by the end of the week. See you on Saturday!

Suzanne,
    I am sure it will all fall into place.
    Enjoy.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

How lucky to have a wife who is a Mary Kay consultant. You must be spoiled I've been curious about the beauty schools also. I've gotten much better doing my own, but there is always something to learn.

Have a great time at the Luau. Should be very fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

Yes I am spoiled! I can now do the beard cover and foundation myself but she does my eyes. They just look so much better when she does it! If anyone needs Msty Kay products let me know. I am excited and nervous about Saturday night. It will be my first big event at a social club.
    Suzanne

Just looked at the weather and it is going to still be 90 degrees when I arrive at the party. That is going to be hard in the make up! Anybody have any wisdom as to how to handle the heat better?

Bring your own shade? :-)

Seriously, 90 is doable if you stay out of the sun amap. Of course, I say that but I live in a dry climate. The real issue is how humid will it be? That's the kicker.

Couple of suggestions: one of those pocket fans (with extra batteries); and those cold pack thingies on the back of the neck work wonders.

Hi Suzanna,

Sorry I can't make it due to a forgotten family engagement that I am also looking forward to. heat? Yes, it will and can be hot up there. Dress lightly with less rather than more undergarments/shapewear. Stay in the shade as best possible, hydrate a lot wit water and soda, less makeup, no nylons, wear flats or sandals, or even better yet, flip flops, take breaks in the house even if it is not air conditioned because it will probably be cooler inside than outside. Be open and meet everyone and you will eventually forget how hot it really is. Knowing Sacramento during this time of the year, it will probably be much hotter than 90! Enjoy.

Looking forward to meeting you in person Suzanne! If we don't all melt, it will be a lovely time!

See you on Saturday!
    Debby
    Debby

Call a local beauty school!it's brilliant!
    Thanks for the idea!
    And also have fun!i wish we were going as well!
    Do not judge someone by what they wear . There's a person inside there!

The forecast is for a high of 102. Yikes. Allie's advice is right on. Light cotton clothing works the best in the dry heat. Some try to dress for style and not comfort and really pay the price. Everyone is melting in the heat so we are in it together. It starts cooling off around 6 so the evening should be more bearable but still quite toasty.

Banned Read only
    I've said it before but it needs repeating: Allie is the Yoda of cross dressers