Sabrina brought up a post about a hot dog commercial that got me thinking. I realize there are more advertisements now with crossdressers in them than before. But is the perspective they portray all that good for us? Is the old axiom "Bad advertising is better than no advertising?" Or is it really doing us harm?
We have brought up the talk about commercials over and over. But as with most things, commercials, T.V., movies as well as peoples acceptance (or lack of) of crossdressing evolve, and the discussions about them change too.
We remember the Nintendo commercial where dad bribes the son not to tell. Or the commercial where dad and his football watching buddies are having a tea party with his daughter ("Is that MY wedding dress?"). Both going a different direction with the message. And the most recent, mentioned by Sabrina.
So are they helping or hurting? Is it better for the commercials to put out in front of the public the portrayal that crossdressers are all drag queens or is it better for them to just let crossdressers blend into the background for the most part? And of course we have the whole spectrum in between.
Is one image better for us in the long run? For instance just two examples. ) and I'm sure you can come up with a bazillion more.....)
1) Richard Chamberlain on the Drew Carey show
2)RuPaul's Drag Race
Just examples