Thread: Hmmm Interesting

Hmmm Interesting

I saw this and thought it was interesting...

This is the first time shorts were worn in public by women. It drew a crowd of surprised men and caused a car accident... and we think we have it bad...

This is not all that long ago (1930s) and look how far women have come. There is hope for us as long as we continue to have those bold enough to stand up for what we want. We CAN make a difference.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Holding hands too must be lesbians.

No wonder the car crashed, there doesn't appear to be anybody at the wheel...............
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Holding hands too must be lesbians.
    Tracii,

Actually, there was nothing wrong with holding a same-sex friend's hand in public during that era. The way normal hetero people interacted in the previous 120 years was very different than we are now. I read an article which explains it nicely:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/0...ale-affection/

Women have fought long and hard to get what they have today. I read in a post recently something about the irony of how many of them would not now allow us those same freedoms. Things that make me go hmmm.

Not sure if the lesbian comment was serious or a joke. While its certainly possible they were lesbians I would think its much more likely they needed moral support. They are about to get arrested after all. Many of us know how hard it can be to just walk down the street.

That's assuming this Meme is in reality a shot of the first women wearing shorts. I'm pretty cynical. Anything found online is highly questionable.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

They are holding hands so they don't lose each other in the crowd.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've spent many years in Europe and am used to women holding each other's hands or walking arm in arm. Even men sometimes lock arms when walking. Sadly, Here in the US we have allowed the intolerant, ignorant minority to shame us into standing off from one another. Every action seems to take on a sexual connotation instead of simple affection for another human being.

Evidently "cheescake" has always been pretty popular with the guys. Now when all eyes are on you, you can either try to hide or flaunt it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My guess is there holding hands, because they where stepping out doing something very bold, and weren't sure what the reaction would be, women call it supporting each other, something guys have trouble understanding!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Just for the record, I don't think it says they were the first women to wear shorts in public, rather that for these two women it was the first time they were wearing shorts in public.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Women were showing quite a lot of leg from the Flapper era of the '20s onward. The bumper of that car is remarkably undamaged, though they were made of spring steel back then. The young men seem to be enjoying the view.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    It was sarcasm ladies LOL As Dr Sheldon Cooper would say Bazinga!!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Lynn View Post
    This is not all that long ago (1930s) and look how far women have come. There is hope for us as long as we continue to have those bold enough to stand up for what we want. We CAN make a difference.
    I know! It only took 80 more years for over half the population of the most progressive country in the history of the world to gain near equality! At that rate, for us, it'll take, what, a couple hundred more years?