Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your opinion on CD's altering their pics in Photoshop

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    How do I feel about people altering their pictures in Photoshop? I'm totally ok with it as long as it's not too excessive. Things like slimming down the waist a few inches and stretching the legs is going a bit too far IMO. With my own pics I use Photoshop to do some cropping, color correction and brightness tweaks, and usually I add a little soft focus or maybe remove the odd blemish or two. Nothing too major.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLady View Post
    It's not worky, Marleena. BTW...the 3 stooges are cool. My wife thinks that they idiots and hates them. Goes to show what she knows
    Click the link inside the screen. It's only 5 secs. When I was a kid my friend wouldn't come out to play when they were on TV.

Wow, this thread seems to have gotten out of hand, I suspect more than the OP intended. Lots of arguing and some posts that are close to insulting!

Well, I stated way back that I crop, improve lighting, and may remove distracting background objects, but any improvements to the subject (me) are done through clothing and makeup, not after the fact with software. It's not that I've never done that, I have, but just for my own use.

When I see a photo on this website posted by a member, I just naturally assume that this is a photo of the member, not someone else or someone's head on another body (I've done that as well, but again, for personal use only). I look at these photos as a way to "know" the poster and I also look at them to see how well members are doing at looking feminine and possibly get ideas on how I can improve my look.

One member had a necklace that I really liked so I bought a similar one. I have copied poses I've seen in member's photos because I liked them or they were more feminine than how I might naturally pose.

Anyway, there's no law or rule against extensive altering of photos or even using a photo of a female and claiming it is yours. I just hope this isn't the case. I hate to think I'm responding to a great looking thirty year old when in fact I'm responding to a "less than great looking" seventy year old.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Zylia, I would not post any photo of mine that has bee altered. All my posted photos are unaltered, even the long legs.

I think on a forum like this, altering photos in Photoshop (if you can) is harmless and a personal preference. Good photographers do everything possible to control exposure, lighting, etc. when making a portrait, and no one really looks like their professional photos. Enhancing an image in the computer may be no more than an extension of that. Once in a while, you'll see a photo of a professional model on the street, and while attractive, she looks little like she does in a magazine or on the runway. (I heard one Victoria's Secret model give a TED talk on the topic, and she said--I'm paraphrasing here--that those photos are a product of her looks, a skilled photographer, a stylist, and a makeup artist. They are not real.) I think motive is important here. If you want to enhance how you look on this site, fine. But--and this is a real issue--if an fashion editor uses Photoshop to say trim pounds off a model to create some feminine ideal, or a news editor manipulates an image to distort an event in some way, then we're getting into ethical and moral hot water.

Altering a pic? I do not get the point, sepecially here. Be honrest with me and say I look like a hot mess. That only makes me better.

Linda, I agree 100%.

But Nicole? Without imperfection..how do we appreciate perfection?
    Last edited by Di; 08-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Ultimately, we all have to look at ourselves in the mirror. So no, it doesn't matter to me what I, you or anyone else does to their images.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynn_A View Post
    But Nicole? Without imperfection..how do we appreciate perfection?
    Point made, but I don't want to be the standard of imperfection.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Wow, this thread seems to have gotten out of hand, I suspect more than the OP intended. Lots of arguing and some posts that are close to insulting!
    Well, if you can't stand the heat etc. etc., right? I was curious about other people's opinions on doctoring pics here, not necessarily about other people's opinions on my opinion on it, but I guess that's about the same thing. I didn't expect so many people to go into 'defensive' mode about their own (mostly obviously not doctored) pics as if I actually suspected them. It has become pretty clear that it's a rather 'controversial' issue. Next time I'll just leave my own opinion out of the first post

I can see why some will want to alter there pictures to show them at their best.

I dont care if anyone cuts out something they dont want seen in the background. They I am sure have good reasons for doing that.

I dont like complete deception. eg head on the wrong body.

We all like to look good so naturally select our best picture.

As for my pictures I have not altered any part of me. What you see is what you get and there are members here who will confirm that.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I believe everyone has the freedom to do what makes them comfortable if that's what it takes for them to post a picture. Not everyone is born with the perfect body, some are luckier than others and some are more into going to further lengths to achieve the body they want. Personally in all my photos I use Paint.net
    - cropping - Megalo filters pack
    - colour balancing+ cyan +10% around beard area when I'm too lazy to shave that morning to lighten my stubble using the lasso select tool
    - auto adjustment to balance overall colour/light in some situations
    - Cross processing about 5% to pastel the colours to give a very slight "Instagram" effect
    - Resizing to lessen filesize
    - Pixelate+ blur +25% to preserve face...for now anyway

I've never did skewing to make me appear thinner though, but I do like to wear a corset most of the time

I have cropped every photo I've ever posted here to get rid of some background. So you'll always see "edit" in the description. Other than that I just post them as is. Some of the photos have turned out great (for my expectations) while others look bad. It's kind of funny how some days I can look good and other days look like crap. I'm nearing 60 so I guess I need to expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawne View Post
    I've never did skewing to make me appear thinner though, but I do like to wear a corset most of the time
    Interesting. For those opposed to altering pics, would you also be opposed to wearing a corset to appear thinner than you are, or give you a waist you don't really have? What's the difference?
    Since there are no forum requirements that avatar pics actually be the members (text, cartoons, or photos of others are OK), a little fiddling with photos seems to be a very tiny bit if deception. Deception? We're [mostly] males altering our appearance to look female.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Interesting. For those opposed to altering pics, would you also be opposed to wearing a corset to appear thinner than you are, or give you a waist you don't really have? What's the difference?
    Exactly Nicole, What is the difference between us and the GG's?

GG's just have the freedom of doing it in public....................W/O ridicule.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Guilty!

Ya got me. I'm actually a 300 pound black male - but I have mad Photoshop skillz!

Kathi

Same here.
    I'm a master of Adobe Photoshop, I use it nearly every day at work, and I used to tweak the living daylights out of my photos, but no more.
    To me, these days I show my photos of me, warts and all. .....there is no lie.
    I have wrinkles, I never did hormones....I am what I am, it is what it is. I am cool with that.

However, I just want to say, for those who want to look realistically female in photos, by all means knock yourself out. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    I crop, color-correct and adjust brightness, but otherwise shun photo manipulation -- I think it's a better gauge of our skill and development
    Ditto to what Julie said
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

Who cares! I don't know about all of you but I've spent a lot of time in front of a closeup mirror puttingg on my makeup. I'm trying on new foundations, blush, eyeliner, different color lipsticks etc. Isn't that retouching so perhaps all pics posted should be no makeup, no wig so you are who you are. Not me! So photoshop doesn't real make a differenence, does it? Have fun and be all the women you can be!