Thread: Huge first step today at the VA Clinc

Huge first step today at the VA Clinc

I had my first doctor visit to a VA clinc in San Jose today. On the first time patient history they ask what your three major concerns are: I listed depression and gender issues as #3. I didn't really expect to talk about #3, but I did.

The doctor and I spent about 1/2 hour discussing Miki, marriage, kids, transitioning...and I walked away with a prescription for Finasteride and an appointment with their in-house endocrinologist for estrogen dosage.

This is truly scary for me as it marks the most significant point in my life since marrying and having kids nearly four decades ago.

BTW, for the older vets here on the forum you know what the VA means and can do for you. For those who are not vets, you should wish for a single payer health care system. The VA clinic I visited is one of the most efficient, professional and caring facilities I have been in a LONG time.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Cool stuff
    Glad to hear you're on track.

Silver Member
    I'm glad you had a good experience, too. On some of your other comments, unfortunately far too many do not echo your sentiments on the VA.
    Lea

Good for you Miki! You've hit the jackpot of VA clinics. I must be going to the nations worst. They've actually managed to give me depression.

Miki, that's so neat! I have my first endo appt at the VA coming up on the 20th. I hope all goes as well for me.

So happy for you! It's a big step. Hugs!

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Teresa, sorry to hear about your experience with your local VA. The only complaint I had with my local VA clinic was with the rent-a-cop security who didn't know where the restrooms were.

Leah, wouldn't it be nice is there was consistency in our facilities.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Finasteride is good for helping with male pattern baldness and the prostate but as an anti androgen is much weaker than Spironolactone or Cyprotone. It is also known to cause depression. I had to stop taking progesterone because of depression.

from wikipedia

Furthermore, it has been associated with inducing depression and anxiety at a high rate in both male and female patients,[11] symptoms that are very common in transsexuals, who are already at a high risk.[12] As a result, prescription of finasteride for this indication in male-to-female transsexuals may not be particularly useful, and could put them at risk for detrimental emotional side effects. It was concluded that finasteride may cause symptoms of depression and suicidal ideation in some persons which can persist even after discontinuation of treatment.[32][33]
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 08-01-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Welcome to the "dark side" Miki. The bench is getting full, slide over everybody...

Ellen

I do appreciate your viewpoint. We went over the risks. The doctor has three other VA transgender patients that he started on Finasteride without issue.

I still have a marriage and adult children I have to manage with my decision and while this is a big step, I am going to keep it as small as possible right now.

Marleena

You have no idea how bright I see my future as Miki. Dark side - no! A very bright morning - yes!

Congratulations Miki. After so much investment in our country, including your past military service it is quite nice to know that you can get something back. Hope all goes well for you.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 08-02-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U haven't mentioned your dosage, Miki. They put me on finasteride, 5 mg, over 15 years ago. And, shortly thereafter, terazosin, as well. Both for my prostate. At my urging, they switched me over to dutasteride, 5 mg, last year. I have had no noticeable side effects. Other than I began CDing at about the same time? Hmmm.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Although we discussed dosage, I apparently had my brain off in a different direction and I don't recall what he said. Also, the VA Rx didn't have the med in stock so it is being mailed to me.

Congrats, Miki.
    I also had my introduction the VA medical scene yesterday, first ever visit. After about n hour of walking all over, come to find out I was already registered. Went to some desk filled some papers and was told I'd hear from them in a couple of weeks. My observations as I left were everyone very courteous ( presented myself as me) and willing to help, place is too departmentalized and compartmentalized. No logic as to placement of departments. Overall impression, satisfied, but tired of walking (though the heels were low), but I do know how to use the elevator now.
    Bobbi