Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place to be CD, TG, TS gay etc.

I've never had a significant negative experience here in SoCal.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Cook County, USA is a lovely place, I haven't had a major bad experience her. Yes some evil stares and name calling, but nothing that could be called in any way serious.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I can only comment in the two places I have lived - South Africa and Australia. While South Africa has a very progressive constitution, in reality there is still a lack of acceptance of TG people. I was openly laughed at or subjected to verbal abuse on many occasions. When shopping in drab, most shop assistants could not understand why I would want to purchase ladies clothing for myself. They would assume I was pranking them.

Australia, on the other hand seems to be much more accepting, though I have only experienced Sydney and haven't gone out fully dressed yet. The shop assistants are generally very understanding and accommodating. The CBD is also more accepting than the suburbs. I have been given some strange stares when clothes shopping in suburban malls. There are very likely conservative parts of Sydney and Australia where CDs are less accepted. But on the whole, I would say Sydney is a good place for CDs.

Believe it or not, the city everyone flies over - Kansas City Mo.

I do like San Francisco and London.
    Skiing recently no one noticed.
    Skiing is all a very androgynous activity.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

When I visited Thailand I couldn't help but wonder how the women could all have such beautiful skin. Then I learned they weren't all women. I was really impressed that cross dressing was not a big deal there and was pretty much accepted. I have heard similar about other Asian cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I do like San Francisco and London.
    I love London, but I haven't been back since I got up the courage to be true to myself. The last time I was there in 2002 I attended Boy George's newly released play, Taboo, and the audience was wonderfully eclectic. Pete Burns, the lead singer of Dead or Alive was there. The gay couple seated next to me were surprised that an American would enjoy the show, under the impression that we weren't nearly as accepting a culture as the UK.

What were your experiences in London like?
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Druscilla Supernovae View Post
    I'd imagine it would be San Francisco. Austin, TX. Is a pretty open minded city. And yes, Houston heat is unbearable.

No more so than San Antonio or Austin heat!.....

San Francisco Bay Area, but as with any other blanket statements,the exception (some suburbs, parts of the east bay, etc.) proves the rule.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Not a silly question... A very important question!! At last count, here in the US there were around 16 states that had legal protection for TG folks. Some counties and some municipalities have such laws. For example, you could be fired in San Antonio for being TG, but not in nearby Austin. Here's a link to the ACLU's guide on TG rights around the US: http://www.aclu.org/files/images/ass...e781_33764.pdf

As a practical matter, I'm sure you can run into safety problems and harassment in even the most tolerant cities. I see you're in the UK, which seems to have a tradition of tolerance as long as no-one is disturbing public order. A few countries have good laws protecting us, but in practice are less tolerant, like South Africa. And there are different kinds of limited acceptance in places like Brazil or Thailand, from what I understand. My guess is that the most accepting place is SoCal; I hope to get out there sometime soon and find out!
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe the best places for the folks you've listed to live would be the best places for ANYONE to live? There r lists of those cities and towns published every year in the USA.

Personally, I think a person would have to have lived in every place on earth to be able to accurately comment on this question. I done plenty of traveling. But, living in countries is much different then simply visiting them!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyS
    Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?....
    I imagine any country that has been overrun by aggressive neighbor-nations repeatedly (like The Netherlands, Belgium, France, et al) would be more tolerant of individualistic behavior. I would put most European nations in this category, but, since I have no money to actually GO there, all I can do is dream about it. It follows that the U.S., a country that hasn’t been invaded since the War of 1812, would be less tolerant towards anything queer. I suppose, but when I see the cinematic work of John Waters I tend to think that America is OK, at least in terms of “hidden” queer-ness...