Thread: I need some real physical help

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

I need some real people help

I need some help from real people. I am 49 years old, but my mind is set on shopping for clothing suitable for teens and twenty-somethings.
    While I want to dress and look young (what women doesn't?) I also want to dress age appropriate.
    Is there any way I can find a real person to help me with this instad of just relying on the internet? I think having a real person would really help me get the right clothes and style.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Finding real help is easy, Susan. Simply watch real women of the age u wish to emulate and look carefully at what they're wearing.

It's way easier then trying to copy teens and 20 somethings. U may find copying their styles more difficult, complicated, and confusing. Because they're looks r simply fantasy at your age.

Personally? Since I'm well over 60, I hardy ever try to look younger. I'd probably look ridiculous! See?

6428.jpg 50566.jpg

55335.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Susan

If you are out and feel comfortable as Susan in public, I would try to call a Personal Shopper at a large department store like Macy's or whatever is in your neck of the world. The service is generally free, given a certain level of purchases.

I would also try to shop at a store directed at the "older" woman like a DressBarn or Lane Bryant. Most of these type stores have seen girls like us and are very friendly understanding it doesn't matter who hands over the Dollar.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Huummmmm I don't know where to start with on this one. Of course if you want to blend then look at the environment and dress femm appropriate. Other than that it is the rich inner world of closed doors and possibly a few close friends. I just don't see any other way in today's society.

Sure you could risk going out in a rubber body suit and cheerleader outfit, but ridicule and possibly a good beating may follow in the wrong sorts of town. I wish this world was different, but come on ........

Silver Member
    Susan - it is OK to have a range of outfits and styles. Dress according to your mood or the occasion. If it is fun and exciting to dress in clothing for 20-somethings - dress accordingly. You can dress age-appropriate when you like. Have fun - don't worry.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Like Sherry says watch the women that dress the way you like that are more your age.
    I'm 60 but when it comes to womens clothes I go for what the 30-40 year olds wear.A lot of ladies here look younger when in girl mode so thats what I feel comfy doing.

It has all been said, watch what other women your age wear, try mature dressing stores like Dress Barn and Lane Bryant.

I dress to have fun and if need be, not to be ridiculous I will wear conservative clothing out.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I like Sherry's advice. Or try to watch that show "What Not to Wear" as they help create a new image for women who have issues with selecting outfits that are appropriate for them. You can get good insights from that show.

You know it doesn't really matter what you wear Hon. The real skill is wearing whatever you wear in a stylish way.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Let’s face it, most teens and early twenty-somethings have deplorable taste in clothing. I’ve sat at malls and people watched and sometimes it is hard not to laugh at the ridiculous outfits that this age group wears. On the other hand by the time many women reach their thirties they have gained some sense of style and by forty have master style and sophistication. Successful women in their forties and fifties would be my choice to emulate, if for no other reason than the huge range of fashion available.
    Babs

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I'll echo the comments about stepping into a Lane Bryant, Catherine's or Dress Barn. Or just browse their websites.

ask the women in your life, if you are out to them that is. It's one of the advantages to coming out, once everyone gets over their initial reactions.

My wife and her close girlfriends save me from fashion disasters and point me to outfits that work. I also love the teen girl look but only ever wear it at home.

When I was at the Keystone Conference, there was a woman giving a seminar on finding your style.

She said don't ever, ever buy anything from the juniors section. Repeat after me ...
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I'm in agreement with finding someone to talk to, but I'd suggest going for a woman at least 10 years older than you, but not more than about 15.

The reason? She'll be informed on styles age appropriate for you, and she'll have some ideas on styles younger women wear. More importantly, she'll probably be able to adequately articulate WHY certain outfits go together and certain other ones don't. It's possible to emulate and get it wrong, if you don't understand the thinking behind the styles.

However, I'd also find a younger woman to talk to. I have been gifted with a 13 year old that loves me CDing, and we talk about clothes a lot. So I can see how she puts together her outfits, and we can talk about it. She gets the unique perspective of a man who has some idea how outfits go together, and we often find we agree on what works and why. When that happens, I feel like we've found a non-generational style that anybody of any age can wear.

But as to where you should find them, I've got no ideas. Craigslist? Just don't use the "casual encounters" section. Really, go to the "Platonic" section and look there. You CAN post t4w in the "platonic" section and ask for help with clothes. You can do that in "casual encounters", but I doubt you'll get anything resembling the response you want.