Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Dinosaurs

Complex Lolita...

The Age of Dinosaurs

“I’m a DINOSAUR – somebody is digging my bones” (from "Dinosaur" by King Crimson)

Recently I read a post where a member (Wildaboutheels, if you must know) referred to some people on this site as “Forum DINOS.” This got me thinking. What exactly is a forum Dino? I mean, are there certain standards, or levels of achievement, required to attain this fictitious rank? Surely I’m not a forum Dino, or am I?

Around the same time I was pondering this curious question, I was reading a thread OP authored by a member who I adore and respect, wondering if I should respond or not. She’s been here for a while, woven into the fabric of the place, to the point where I would call her a “fixture,” or at least the kind of person I (and others) admire. Anyway, I happened to glance at her post total, and it was only a few hundred more than I have. “Good grief,” I thought to myself, “Do I have THAT many posts? Huh? What happened?” Roundabout that time I stumbled across the “forum Dino” description, and I began to feel distinctly reptilian...

Once upon a time, when I first became active here (2009), I recall wanting to get up to 600-700 posts, the same as some of my new friends, just so I could somehow feel legitimate. A funny thing happened. My friends disappeared, victims of either disorientation or apathy, while I whizzed past them, at least in the number of posts. What do I do now? Well, I kept going, and going, and going, somehow getting in excess of 2500 posts. I NEVER thought it would get this far, dear friends. I mean, is there that much to discuss, or attempt to discuss? Is there nothing better to do with my time? Somehow, I became, I think, a forum dinosaur, or on the threshold of becoming one. I’ve been here a certain length of time, I’ve amassed a body of “work,” if you wish to call it that, and, most importantly, I’m STILL here, for better or worse...

For the last two months I was away from the site, but I would look in from time to time, lurking, just to see who was discussing what. I expected to see some of the “regulars,” doing what they do best, but I didn’t recognize anyone! When I hear the moniker “forum Dino,” I think about all those established members who I have gotten to know, little by little, over the past four years. Some of them make a habit of responding to nearly everything, while others are more selective. Perhaps there was a period when discussing MtF crossdressing was novel and exciting, but the fires have cooled a bit, and we see the “Dinos” less and less these days. In the interim, I appear to be one of the dinosaurs, but I don’t really feel like one. I certainly never set out to become one...

It’s just fun to write about MtF crossdressing, or crossdressing in general, and there’s no end to the things that could generate some writing on the subject, but it’s not easy. Like the dinosaur, you need to survive, usually by migrating to a new location, or, in the case of this site, by changing the subject. One day you can try to discuss something locally controversial, and the next day you can submit a piece of fluff, followed by something in-between (like this!). Just keep moving, and don’t let the predators get a fix on your position. As the years go by, and your participation remains steady, you will acquire both friends and enemies. Just keep moving, like the dinosaurs once did...

So, what do you think? Are there certain requirements to become a full-fledged forum DINO? Is it number of posts, or the number of years you’ve been active, or perhaps a length of time spent in the active support role, helping others who really need your help? Maybe a forum Dino has a brave face, a calming presence, and is a person who never gets ruffled, even in the midst of the most heated discussion. I think the so-called “dinosaurs” on this site are heroes, or heroines, to be more accurate. I can count many of them as my most trusted friends; something that I never thought would happen when I began to post my lengthy missives. I appreciate the many acts of kindness I have received from those members who I look up to and admire. Long live the DINOSAURS!!!

PS – If you ever get the chance to hear King Crimson’s Dinosaur, please give it a listen. It’s a much underrated song, by a chronically underrated group, kind of like their “I am the Walrus.”
    Last edited by Frédérique; 08-09-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Part of the reason I change my avatar all the time is to keep 'em guessing Freddy, not to mention I get tired of looking at my own puss.So, it's difficult to get a "fix" on me. I have some 7,000 pics I haven't even used yet because, quite honestly, even when I do go out en femme, I rarely have the same look twice because I like diversity. I hang in here mostly because of my friends and because I feel it serves a positive purpose. I enjoy all of your postings, even if I don't comment on all of them but believe me most of the stuff discussed on here is somewhat useful, especially to those just starting out.

As far as being a Dino, I've been here over 7 years, so whatever. Just bear in mind that the Dinos here will never become extinct by a comet or anything else. So now I can't help thinking if we had evolved as bipedal Dinos instead of humans, how would we look en femme?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Probably being one of those "Dinos", and not remembering how Wild used and defined that term in her post, here is my definition. A "Dino" is a member here who has been here for a long time and has read, seen and probably posted in many different types of threads from "What color are your panties?" to "Ami or Am I not?". That does not necessarily mean that someone needs a high post count, though that for me would be an immediate indication. They may be someone who reads a lot and only posts when they feel like it for whatever reason that motivates them. Being a "Dino" I would hope that they would be more understanding of the reasons for a thread or post, more patient before jumping into the attack mode when their hot button is pushed, would offer reasonable advice, would be able to differentiate between a newbie comment and that of someone more experienced here, is more tolerant and accepting, and forgiving of others, and finally, does not believe in nor follow any type of crossdresser's handbook, i.e. you have to do it my way or our way.

Aspiring Member
    I also am a Dinosour...both in thinking and age. I seldom respond to posts as writing is hard for me. I cherish the posts I read and learn much from them...I am just a quiet older person enjoying your experiences, both good and bad. I hope to travel to the Atlanta conference where I will experiment with the knowledge you have given me.
    I have always believed it is content not length that matters.
    Thanks for listening...

Another way to look at "Dino" would be as a term, similar to "Rino" "Republican in name only". Something like "Dressed in name only" or "Doll in name only" Just a silly thought I had and helps get my post count up with each silly thought I have..Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Hi Frédérique,
    I have that album!....saw King Crimson twice back in the 1990's, as well as Robert Fripp a couple of times. Yes, I do know the song.

DINO?.....never heard the term. I like Jaymees22's description the best. I don't think any of us know.....what it means.

Silver Member
    What exactly do you mean by "dinosaur"? Someone whose thinking is antiquated, or just someone who has been around a long time? In most cultures outside of North America, the latter means wisdom, having been around the block enough times to see the patterns, and it is respected, even revered. While I haven't posted in great numbers, I have been reading this forum for a long time and seen the waves of discord and agreement, of naivete and wisdom, come and go as the names change over time (or don't). Those really high number posters are the voice of reason, experience and wisdom on this forum and shouldn't be tagged with a name that has negative connotations, like dinosaur. Just saying.

Back in the day, there was a core group that played a pretty big role in helping to get this forum past the "what color are your panties?" level. You were certainly a member of that group, Freddy, and I like to think I chipped in a little bit too. I mean, we had some pretty interesting threads going at the time, some of which were addressing some rather weighty subjects for the first time, at least here. Over the years, we Dinos have seen a lot of rehashing of all that, huh. Sadly, we don't see many of the old gang any more, and I miss them. But that isn't to say that there aren't some delightful regulars here now. Some of us are just more ancient than others. :-)

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    DINO?

Dresser In Name Only?
    Drag In Nights Out?
    Dang Insensitive Nerdy Oldies?

I guess I'm a forum dino. I know I'm sure stuck in the ooze, slowly sinking into oblivion . . .

So, . . yay. Another label to memorize (and fall short of to one group or another).

Kathi

Yes, Frederique, nearly 7 years and over 2500 posts. You are a forum dino. A trannysaurus, or T-rex for short.

Well, I never thought of myself as such, but I've been here a long time, and I have a rather healthy post count, I guess. I don't post nearly as much as I used to for two reasons. First, and probably most importantly, I don't get to dress anywhere near as much as I used to. It's very sad, but I persevere. Second, I've hashed and re-hashed just about every topic imaginable when it comes to male-to-female womanhood. Clothes, nails, hair, makeup, going out, staying in, shaving, not shaving, ultra-femme, androgyny, skirts versus dresses, summer versus winter, boobies, hosiery, heels, supportive wife versus non-supportive wife, tell or don't tell.......(stops for a breath).......and on and on and on. That's one reason (mind you, not the only reason) I like your posts, Freddy. You always have a fresh perspective on something or other. So you just keep it up, my friend. You're one reason (mind you, not the only reason) I keep coming back here.

Would you like another glass of wine?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    Once upon a time, when I first became active here (2009), I recall wanting to get up to 600-700 posts, the same as some of my new friends, just so I could somehow feel legitimate.
    I've been here since Aug 2005, and still haven't amassed 600 posts... close, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederique
    For the last two months I was away from the site, but I would look in from time to time, lurking, just to see who was discussing what. I expected to see some of the “regulars,” doing what they do best, but I didn’t recognize anyone!
    Yet I've seen many come and go, and just as many still here. For some, it's a passing fad, and for others, a place to come for reassurance and a sense of normalcy.

It’s just fun to write about MtF crossdressing, or crossdressing in general, and there’s no end to the things that could generate some writing on the subject, but it’s not easy. Like the dinosaur, you need to survive, usually by migrating to a new location, or, in the case of this site, by changing the subject. One day you can try to discuss something locally controversial, and the next day you can submit a piece of fluff, followed by something in-between (like this!). Just keep moving, and don’t let the predators get a fix on your position. As the years go by, and your participation remains steady, you will acquire both friends and enemies. Just keep moving, like the dinosaurs once did...
    I was told by a dearly departed friend years ago, that to stay alive, you had to be like the shark... "keep moving". In order to breathe.

So, what do you think? Are there certain requirements to become a full-fledged forum DINO? Is it number of posts, or the number of years you’ve been active, or perhaps a length of time spent in the active support role, helping others who really need your help? Maybe a forum Dino has a brave face, a calming presence, and is a person who never gets ruffled, even in the midst of the most heated discussion. I think the so-called “dinosaurs” on this site are heroes, or heroines, to be more accurate. I can count many of them as my most trusted friends; something that I never thought would happen when I began to post my lengthy missives. I appreciate the many acts of kindness I have received from those members who I look up to and admire. Long live the DINOSAURS!!!
    I'm a survivor, not a dinosaur. If I've helped shed light on any aspect of crossdressing in my threads or posts, that's a plus. It is really all about support.

Arrived at this forum about the same time as Sherri but with fewer posts than most with that length of attendance (Picky) however
    dinos are, as we all know, long extinct so I would rather be labeled as "ancient" or "elder" or "senior" and too soon as "late". On the other hand the extinct Do-Do bird has also been been used to designate a stupid person so I'll have that glass of wine offered by Maria to toast all the ancients wherever you are.
    Julie

Platinum Member
    Oh I am a dinosaur, but by my way of thinking, dinosaurs didn't disappear as some might suggest. We merely morphed into birds...such elegant creates. What a clever disguise. So few recognize us for what we are.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Unhappy Sherrysaurus here!

I guess in MY case, longevity breeds apathy and/or credentials. My silly, off beat posts r occasionally taken seriously. And, altho Sherry never ages in her pics, I rarely get, "What the---? Why r u wearing a mask? U look like a ridiculous mannekin", comments anymore.

However, I don't think of hanging around here in terms of "dinosaurs", Freddie. I think of cd.com as more of a CD/TS school. And, whether it's a high school, college, or graduate school kinda depends on the post/thread you're reading!

In any case, many here eventually graduate. While others, like me, get held back year after year!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 08-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    Hi Frédérique,
    I have that album!....saw King Crimson twice back in the 1990's, as well as Robert Fripp a couple of times. Yes, I do know the song.
    I too have seen the Crim live but I also had the honor of meeting Mr. Fripp when he toured with David Sylvian. Got his autograph in my program (along with Trey Gunn's) and he even took my program to have it signed by Mr. Sylvian.

The Crimson "sorority" is populated by those in the know. Those who don't know just have no clue!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Nicole nailed it LOL

It's the current thought that birds, modern, are the evolved/adapted of what remained of the dinosaurs. Birds are highly suited to their environment- they provide services for us (eating bugs, spreading pollen and seeds, and act as a clean up crew for carrion).

Parrots are though to be perhaps the most intelligent bird (as well as one of the longest living), plus they are aesthetically pleasing. Take for instance the Norwegian Blue: Its plumage is beautiful, giving us pleasure, it can interact (talk) giving us social enjoyment. And yes, even in death, the Blue performs so as to give us one last gift of humor.

Hang in there Frederique, rest as needed, but do please continue here, you have lots of friends here!
    Last edited by Krististeph; 08-10-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Yes, Frederique, nearly 7 years and over 2500 posts. You are a forum dino. A trannysaurus, or T-rex for short.
    wondering if Freddy will disagree with the "tran" part.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Frédérique,
    I dont have any labels so I haven't been around long enough to be a dinosaur.
    I still am open to new ideas and dont bother to dwell on thngs too much.
    All I have to say is I am glad to see you have reaquired your writing flair and have us all thinking again.
    Keep it up.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake
    Dresser In Name Only? Drag In Nights Out? Dang Insensitive Nerdy Oldies?
    In my finest AMERICAN: Didn’t Intend No Offense!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry
    In any case, many of us here eventually graduate. While others, like me, get held back year after year!
    I’m glad they allow us to hang around. Do you think the Dinos will eventually be wiped out, either by an asteroid, a comet, or a gamma ray burst? Perhaps they will simply run out of topics to discuss, and, one by one, fade into the cosmic background as people forget all about that wonderful time when men dressed as women. But, someday, many years from now, someone will unearth a fossilized Sherrysaurus, and a new golden age of crossdressing will be born, as long as the archeologist realizes what a profound discovery it is. I feel a NOVEL coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph
    Hang in there Frederique, rest as needed, but do please continue here, you have lots of friends here!
    Thanks! My friends keep me “centered,” that’s for sure, and for that I am humbled and grateful...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah
    wondering if Freddy will disagree with the "tran" part.
    Not if it’s trans- as in “transvestite,” for that’s what I am...

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93
    Oh I am a dinosaur, but by my way of thinking, dinosaurs didn't disappear as some might suggest. We merely morphed into birds...such elegant creates. What a clever disguise. So few recognize us for what we are.
    Which reminds me of another song, “Petrified” by Pere Ubu:

Here's the sort of bird that we don't see.
    In some of the books it's not treated quite respectfully.
    Old, old rocks.
    Old, old rocks.
    Has the short end of the stick been given archaeopteryx?

Probably the only way I will ever stop posting for good is if I have a sudden ignominious end. I seem to be always there ready to jump on fresh fodder, for a good reason though. My message is that it's okay to be ourselves, whoever those selves happen to be. Like the Red Skull once told Captain America in the 1940's "Like a bad penny, I always show up." Kate will always be here to knock the crazy puddins out of people with common sense and logic but also to say have fun with it. It is what it is my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    You are a forum dino. A trannysaurus, or T-rex for short.
    LOL

Freddy, if you're a dinosaur at 2,500 posts, I must be a dimetrodon.

It's interesting that members who have been here a long time should be maligned ... unless being a Dang Insensitive Nerdy Oldie (thanks Kathi) is a good thing?
    Reine

Gold Member
    Dinosaurs are extinct. Sorry, as I look at the list of those replying with 5+ years or 2000+ posts, there are none that I think or wish to be extinct. The politically correct reference is to just call all of them wise and experienced.

Funny story. My wife went through a spell of decorating the house and putting vinyl lettering on the walls. In the dining room, she put pictures of my up with each of my kids and grandkids. The words should put up were "Becoming a Grandpa is wonderful. One moment you're just a father. The next you are all wise and prehistoric." Thanks dear. I guess I am a dinosaur then.

Banned Read only
    A Forum Dino, like every term here, is subject to interpretation.

Some people "see" red when they even hear the term "wolf whistle".

Others might be willing to purge half their closet to get one.