Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age appropriate dressing

Age appropriate dressing

At the risk of raising the ire of some people I must ask the question ,but first some background for asking
    I was out with my wife last night at a new Blues Club which had opened ,I work in sound with a friend which was why we were there
    She nudged me and said "that's either a bloke or a very ugly woman " and proceeded to comment on the shortness of the skirt . Now this woman was in the late 40 to early 50's and it was a CD as I observed her coming back from the toilets ,later she was up with a friend another CD and they were dancing
    Now the people in the room didn't care in particular but there was some sniggering but both their skirts were micro mini's which begs the question .....why micro mini's why not something more age related to the knee . The legs were not pretty enough by any stretch of the imagination for such lengths

Now obviously I dress and my wife knows but I dress in a manner reflecting my years now ...I wore mini's in my 20's but would never do so now

I understand some girls prefer a shorter skirt/dress but is it really a good look to take out ?

Ok hit me

Short answer from an outsider's perspective: no it's not a good look to take out.

Some CD's just wear whatever they want to wear, even things their 20-year-old daughter can't get away with. They're obviously not fooling anyone and it may not look really flattering, but not everyone's got that high on their priority list.

Hi,

From a womans point of view.

as many know Im involved with two groups & we dress in the times of those periods 1900 to 1914 Edwardian & Renaissance 1400 to 1700. all our dress's - skirts & for men are long . my background & family were all long, so the dress for the times is fitting for us.

go back & see how fashion has changed & youll see the differences ,
    Now some who would like to wear those clothes of the times see the mini skirt & will wear that regardless of the dress sence of the times or the person ,

so haveing said that for our groups & what we are about & trying to reinact the times we dress accordingly & it looks right, my clothes reflect myself of the day now could i wear those clothes every day my Edwardian skirts & dress's are lovely yet for the day or time i wear them its pretty good more like not every day ,

Now my renaissance or garb = clothes yes i could because of my background & the style is in keeping with my style & look .

Iv allso been traveling around Austraila as well . & ill do it again, next year, why, well its a good talking point & the clothes stand out so its different,

Now some people have no sence of style or are the clothes befitting the person wearing them , well some have no idear, dont care ether, though i dont wear those type of clothes of the 60's to 70's nore will i , I do see some who do. yet its not up to myself to belittle them in what they wear,

I dont know ill take it these are men dressing yes i know some would see them as , ...what.... are they trying to prove,

Ill put it this way we women do talk with each other a lot about clothes & we ask each other if what we have made or are wearing for the day is right for the times / looks with in keeping with who we are, or if its not quite right we help each other, & sugest idear's to help.

When you have the backup from your group it does help in many ways, with out that it can be quite hard, getting it all together,. i wonder what you'd say if / when you see me walking around or on planes dressed as i do. hey i do get nice comments....... in Tasmania or Sydney.......Oh, Melbourne yes been there,

...noeleena...

An interesting take on things ..not knocking it at all but , this was not a transgender venue so all I was thinking silly me is if your going to a venue like this dress to blend and not stand out that's all
    I have a friend who blends both male and female dress all the time nails painted the works but he is not trying to be fem so he goes through shopping centres and such un noticed

I'm in my mid 30's and I had a friend come over a while ago, first time I've dressed in front of her too.. (We've shared pictures) she was saying that I wear my skirts too short, and that they should be about 3 inches or so above the knee at the most.. Anything else is a touch ****ty. Plus you need a really good tuck!
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

I started replying, then deleted it. I'll always be nice. Unfortunately, when I spot others out and about, I usually see age, venue, time of day inappropriateness.
    You can dress any way you want, anytime. If you get comments, just don't jump onto this forum and b*tch about how unfair people are, a GG dressed like Britney would get stares too!

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    To each their own I guess. Its not always age appropriate but venue appropriate. Some of us dress to pass, some dress to show off. I recently went out my first time with a cd friend. We went to a alternative club. I was way over dressed as far as the others that where there. Yes the skirt was a bit shorter than my usual but it was to fit into the surroundings. My friend he dressed to show off. Short frilly skirt, cleavage and alot of leg. He admited thats why he goes there. To be seen and to draw attention. Thats not my idea of fun, I would rather just be myself and dress casual and spend a nice day in the park or the mall. We each are different and thats what makes up the diverse world we live in.
    Erica

When out in public, I think dress for the occasion and appropriate for you age. When at home, you can wear anything your little heart desires. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

I agree with ya. May be they just felt younger with a short hem line.

I am in my late 40s and legs are my best feature. Trouble is that I have found it hard to buy skirts or dresses much above the knee. But now I found a short skirt a good 3 inches if not more above the knee but not mini skirt. I brought it in Asdas. I am not a tucker but you can not see the crown jewels. I've been out and about and even got a wolf whistle (genuine not mickey taking).

Maria
    The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

Age inappropriate dressing is something I don't understand. But the good news is I don't have to. I don't dress like that, but if it is someone else's cup of tea, let them have it.

I agree some older people do wear their skirts too short.
    If you have great legs take advantage of it but if you have a butt ugly head,to go with them it still won't work.
    Like you I do sound support.
    I am older and have to replace sound systems when they go down at a club.
    Rarely dressed in these situations but I do sometimes feel like a pedophile amongst the younger ones when working.
    Another age appropriate problem but can you find a 20 year old with 20 years of experience.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 08-12-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Hi Terri I don't go out so I can dress any way that I want to at home but when you are out you should dress appropriately .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I'm guessing that some folks dress a certain way as they actually want to be noticed. I always dress in a way that looks nice and makes me feel comfortable. To each their own.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    I agree with the basic concept that whatever you like is fine...in the privacy,of your own home. In public it's a different matter. I am sure I elicit enough sniggering from those who recognize I'm a bloke, so why add to it by trying to dress like a teen.

There are exceptions, i suppose to any such rule and perhaps there are public occasions where these girls would fit right in.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 08-12-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: iPad typo

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar

OK I'll bite

Quote Originally Posted by terri_sandal View Post
    Now this woman was in the late 40 to early 50's and it was a CD as I observed her coming back from the toilets ,later she was up with a friend another CD and they were dancing

Now the people in the room didn't care in particular but there was some sniggering but both their skirts were micro mini's which begs the question .....why micro mini's why not something more age related to the knee.
    Guilty your honour. Over 60 and frequently wear skirts up to 8 inches above my knee. Out and about most days too - photo is from my favourite venue, the Australian War Memorial. If you are interested here is why:
    • I'm breaking society's fundamental rule that males must not dress as females so, as a male in a dress, I'm already profoundly guilty
    • I have worked hard over 12 months to lose 70 pound to have a reasonable body shape as a 'senior'
    • a DVT in my leg requires me to wear compression stockings to stop swelling
    • I missed my female 20's (and 30's and 40's) so never had the chance to dress in young age appropriate clothes
    • I am over 6 feet tall, so a skirt 8 inches above my knee does not require a good tuck
    • my legs are my best feature
    • blending used to be an objective as a defence mechanism but now I'm sufficiently confident to dress how I want.

I do wear longer skirts (3 to 4 inches above my knee) in some situations such as when I'm flying pretty. My makeup is always neat, accessories carefully chosen and, from comments I receive, I don't look trashy - just age inappropriate. The ultimate compliment was being called a bitch by a friendly sales manager in reference to my legs.

So, am I bringing discredit to the CDer profession? I do think on this but my view is that I am a good ambassador - smiling, friendly, engaging and above all, visible. I've made a large number of friends and acquaintences dressed, far more than male me. I take the opportunity to educate - many are very surprised for example that I'm heterosexual.

You are absolutely right though - people don't care in particular. I find that those who do usually have a positive response to me the person. That's empowering.

So tell me, am I wrong? Actually, don't answer because I dress for myself not others.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michelle (Oz); 08-12-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Silver Member
    We all should dress to be comfortable and confident in whatever we choose to wear, but the outfit IMO, should be age appropriate and suited to the event! However some appear to throw on what ever happens to be clean(er) and fits.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I try to dress age appropriate only because that seems to be a part of being a classy old broad and a naughty librarian! Sure, I wish everyone did, but there's a ton of stuff I wish for with no hope of fulfillment.

The only rule should be: people can dress how they want, as long as they're willing to accept the consequences (ridicule, etc.)
    If the thread starter isn't judgmental itself, it certainly provoked judgmental replies.
    The whole idea of crossdresser fashion police is laughable.
    And, again, some people can't seem to express a style less conservative than their own without using asterisks.

I've seen plenty of GG's that dress inappropriately for there age, so I guess an occasional guy dressed age inappropriate in a dress isn't hurting our image all that bad, it says more about the individual than the whole movement.
    I mean we are talking about a guy out in a dress, the world finds that inappropriate already, so what's a short skirt going to hurt?
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I'm not totally "age appropriate" unless you mean the age I present at and not the age I am.
    As for the mini's well, again, to each their own, but when you dress in a manner that is obviously too young for your presentation then you are just showing off and inviting ridicule. Of course some go the "I don't care, I wear what I want" route and that's up to them, but for me I feel it not only opens them up to comment, but does so for the general group as well.
    I've seen girls out in public here wearing tutu's and such shopping at Dress Barn and it just makes me wonder where their self-esteem level is.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by terri_sandal View Post
    why micro mini's why not something more age related to the knee . The legs were not pretty enough by any stretch of the imagination for such lengths
    Let me ask you another question. If this was a woman who say was in her 50's and she had great legs would you ask the same question? This age appropriate BS is just that. Really? Maybe they looked at your outfit and said...my gawd... a 1980's tour shirt from Kiss?? Why doesn't he grow up?

Is it a good look to take out? It was for them....your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans (as stated in an old blues song). Best to clean your own house and not worry about other's.

Does my avatar look age appropriate? Well here is the rest of the outfit...yes the skirt is short but it looked good july8.jpg
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    The only rule should be: people can dress how they want, as long as they're willing to accept the consequences (ridicule, etc.)
    If the thread starter isn't judgmental itself, it certainly provoked judgmental replies.
    The whole idea of crossdresser fashion police is laughable.
    And, again, some people can't seem to express a style less conservative than their own without using asterisks.
    NicoleScott you are awesome! /agreed

-Donni-

I ALWAYS wear skirts above the knee or fairly short shorts (got two pair). I'm in my 40s, but most people think I'm much younger, especially when I'm dolled up. But, I don't care what most people think. As long as my BF (tee-hee) thinks I look okay, fo-get-a-bout-it. Yesterday at breakfast, Paul and I had a nice time. I wore some clean white shorts and flip-flops with a cute blouse. We didn't get any grief at all. It was wonderful! I too think my legs are my best asset and I'm going to show them off until I can't. That doesn't mean I'm going to wear micro-minis, that flamboyant style isn't me... but I will wear shorter skirts.
    Change is inevitable...

Now I am having a round of self-doubt about my hemline. After reading these comments, makes me wonder if its time to switch out for all maxi-dresses and floor length skirts. Perhaps the matronly look is what I should dress to.

Does this raise other issues like: Is it inappropriate for a girl of my years to show cleavage? Do my skirts need to fall below the knee? Would a high slit be a source of ridicule?

What's an older girl to do? Perhaps what ever she is comfortable with, damn the torpedoes!

Hugs, Robin