Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age appropriate dressing

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    So, what you're saying is I shouldn't have worn this out to dinner and a club the other Sat. nite? Because I'm 70?

I say do what real females do. If you've still got your figure, FLAUNT IT!

1001902_178854505627245_362812528_n (480x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Terri, there are basically 2 kinds of people in the world. It makes no difference whether they are male or female or whether they CD or not.

The first group, [which I believe you usually/always fall into] will buy and wear stuff "trying to conform or fit in".

I fall into the second group. I buy and wear stuff that I like wherever I want to. If "people" like what I am wearing? Great.

If they DON"T like what I am wearing or THEY think it is wrong or not age appropriate? Great. They have the option of looking elsewhere.

IF a woman is thirtyish but still looks like a teenager what would be the "right" age appropriate clothing for her to wear?

Almost no-one here is in the position to tell anyone what they should and should not wear and no-one's asking for that. Still, I do think were allowed to form opinions on other people's outfits, and other people are allowed to ignore your opinion if you happen to express it. If that's 'judgmental', so be it. I'm not really worried about the 'fashion police' as much as I'm worried about thought policing.

Dressing 'age appropriate' is no different than any other fashion rule and you may get away with breaking the rule. That however is very subjective, and in my opinion, not many can get away with miniskirts or ultra-miniskirts or whatever.

We CDs dress for fun probably more than most women, but public appearance should be considered. My first avatar showed a cheerleading outfit I bought after years of wanting one, years after I could think of actually wearing one, even if i was a GG. It's for home, and maybe Halloween or a costume party, but even then- i think one should give a nod to one's age (i'm about 50, youngish 50, but still...)

The CD in me says get what you want, but the 50 year old says 'let's not weird out the neighbors'. So I wear these things inside. I've found a few wearings usually gets the 'fad-ness' out - and interest wanes- (this is another reason you hear advice like spend ggod money on classics and basics- but not on fads)

That said, there are lots of different ways to wear a skirt, and probably quite a few different ways to wear a miniskirt. I've seen older women (or should I say 50s & 60s instead of 'older') wearing shorter or short-ish skirts, quite well, but the cut was appropriate for their body shape (no longer twiggy), and the accessories (tights, shoes, blouse, coat, gloves, etc.) were more classically or sedately styled- Ralph Lauren, for instance, instead of Versace (gianni).

But take it from Cher - not the singer- the Character Alicia Silverstone played in "Clueless"- never trust mirrors always take pictures. Fortunately- digital cameras are cheap and tons of pix are even cheaper (use rechargable NiMH batteries). Show a few outfits to friends or post here to get feedback. It'll save you a lot of grief, unless you are the person who says 'darn the torpedoes', and then, well, more power to you. But that's not the image i'd prefer to project at this particular point in my life age and circumstance wise.

FWIW- i'd LOVE to be able to pull of a nice miniskirt look, but i'm resigned to the fact that my body shape will never be the way I'd want it to be to pull it off the way I would want to in order to wear it in public.

-k

i suppose i dress age appropriately and to be comfortable, and i'm not just talking about the clothes.
    its about my comfort level and what i feel i look good in.
    trust me, if i had some of the beautiful shapes that you girls do, i would be wearing mini's and showing my boobs
    paula

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    The only rule should be: people can dress how they want, as long as they're willing to accept the consequences (ridicule, etc.)
    If the thread starter isn't judgmental itself, it certainly provoked judgmental replies.
    The whole idea of crossdresser fashion police is laughable.
    And, again, some people can't seem to express a style less conservative than their own without using asterisks.
    That is my take on the world we live in too. If you don't like it, don't look. If you laugh and make derogatory comments, just remember that someone is probably doing that to you as you walk down the street in your "age appropriate" crossdressing clothes. The reason I and others here take objection to "judgmental" opinions such as yours is that this is a support site where most of us are hoping and trying to get acceptance out in the real world and we then can't even get it here. Acceptance not for "how" we dress, but rather acceptance to dress as we please as long as we are not breaking any laws. As someone else said above, as long as they don't complain about any negative reactions, it is all fine with me, and I don't think I have heard anyone on this site really complain about being laughed at because they wore something that was not age, or even venue appropriate. If they mentioned it, it was more of a comment and they accepted the reason as valid. Genetic males and females dress inappropriately all the time, and yes, they also get laughed at behind their backs. But, on this site being judgmental is also many times interpreted as "follow my rules and opinions" and that is not acceptable to me. It can be interpreted as complaining and whining on your part, even though you do not think that it is. Life is like that, live with it. I do and I am very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by robindee36 View Post

What's an older girl to do?
    and exactly WHEN does one become an older girl? I know that women "dis" other women at all ages for what they wear.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Proclamations about how one ought to follow the rather arbitrary rules of fashion always strike me as a bit disingenuous in a place like this.

Isn't the whole mission statement of crossdressing something like "do what thou wilt?"

Banned Read only
    This is a hot button issue here, but I am firmly planted in the age appropriate camp. I think the term is often confused with "frumpy" but women in their 50's can look both sexy and appropriate, as an example.

And this would apply to ANYONE of ANY gender. If I was out with my jeans hanging below my ass, I'd look pathetic, not hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    If I was out with my jeans hanging below my ass, I'd look pathetic, not hip.
    Difficult to say Jennifer. Might depend on what one's derrière looks like

Hugs girl. Robin

Quote Originally Posted by KaliBrooke View Post
    Isn't the whole mission statement of crossdressing something like "do what thou wilt?"
    I thought it was "wear women's clothes", but if it's "do what thou wilt" that might as well include following rather arbitrary rules of fashion if that suits you and commenting on other people's outfits if you're allowed to do that.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    Dressing 'age appropriate' is no different than any other fashion rule and you may get away with breaking the rule. That however is very subjective, and in my opinion, not many can get away with miniskirts or ultra-miniskirts or whatever.
    What do you mean 'may get away with breaking the rule'? Damm, I'm a man in a dress. How many rules does that break?

I've never been ridiculed (but I'm not a mind reader either). I've had really positive comments.

Thanks to all you lovely legged young at heart mini skirt wearers for coming to my support. Enjoy how you dress and have the confidence to go forth as you want to present.
    Last edited by Michelle (Oz); 08-12-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Wear what you like, and what makes you happy. What is age appropriate? Leggings, and a tunic look good on a 17 year old, and a 70 year old. Make sure it fit's nice, and flatters whatever you are flattering! Instead of "age", I'd say "venue" appropriate!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

I see a lot of people--GGs & guys--who don't seem to care about their appearance; who opt for clothes that reveal underwear & unsightly physiques. I disapprove, but I don't go over & tell them to shape up. People cut me a lot of slack when I go out in skirt & handlebar, so I figure I should do the same.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Would you tell Sharon Stone or Tina Turner or Cher they aren't dressing "age appropriately?" No? Well if you look as good as they do at their age, you can wear that short skirt.

For the rest of us, wear what looks good on you, not what you think will. Wear what's appropriate for the occasion. And if you are going to dress out there, don't complain if people don't react well...
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    This is a hot button issue here, but I am firmly planted in the age appropriate camp. I think the term is often confused with "frumpy" but women in their 50's can look both sexy and appropriate, as an example.

And this would apply to ANYONE of ANY gender. If I was out with my jeans hanging below my ass, I'd look pathetic, not hip.
    As an inter-gendered woman having just hit 50 this year... I believe that I look pretty darned good for my age, BUT.. the stuff I wear to the club would not see the light of day without some serious embellishment (This is a PERSONAL choice not a rule everyone needs to follow). I love the whole gothic/Edwardian/Victorian look and can make that work most of the time. For other times that are just casual with friends I tone down to very nice n casual clothes. Clothes are for the occasion, and not set in any particular rules. Someone else here posted that women of all ages comment about other women all the time whether they are wearing the "right" clothes or not.

My two cents..

*hugs*
    Bethany
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

Age AND body appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by terri_sandal View Post
    I understand some girls prefer a shorter skirt/dress but is it really a good look to take out ?
    I'm in my 50s. There are two rules in my book and I adhere to them:

1) Neither the young nor old should wear minis unless they have the legs to sustain them. This means no cellulite (unless it is hidden with hose), no pudgy flabby legs, no varicose veins, no skin going south as the result of gravity, no thighs that jiggle while walking. Opaque leggings are OK since they hide a multitude of sins, but only if the body is weight proportionate.

2) The older the woman, the longer the hemline, irrespective of her legs. Styles that 20 year-olds wear look ridiculous on a middle aged woman, even if she has a great body. Here's a picture of what I mean: http://images3.chictopia.com/photos/...rd-pri_400.jpg.

The styles must not only match a woman's body, they look best if they also match the age reflected in her face else the whole effect leaves something to be desired. An inch or two above the knee is fine though.

That said, the above advice is for people who want to be seen at their best advantage and who want to maximize their attractiveness. Obviously if a person doesn't care, s/he can wear what s/he wants to.

I observe people a lot. And the vast majority of GGs that I see dress appropriately for their ages. There are people who champion individuality and personal freedom and of course it's a free worlds. But, I can't help but think that Kirsty Alley, for example, would have looked much better had she worn something else:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...ASY-1YCSLGUlnE

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/K...Mg637X_afl.jpg

... and of course, anything goes in nightclubs. The above refers to being out and about in the mainstream.

Edit - And this applies to men as well. I think this man would look better if he wore something else:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gxhS2LZ8ML...20in%20speedos
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-13-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle (Oz) View Post
    What do you mean 'may get away with breaking the rule'? Damm, I'm a man in a dress. How many rules does that break?
    I'm really not interested in discussing a specific example here, but you can get away with it if you have great legs for example, or if it's not entirely inappropriate for the occasion, or if it doesn't read as '16-year-old schoolgirl', or if it looks like you did in on purpose, etc. etc.

It's always easy to dismiss everything because you're "a man in a dress", but some of us do try to present as a woman with an overall sense of and respect for fashion. It's just a choice you can make, but you surely don't have to.

I think when I first started to get comfortable with my dressing I always went with the short skirts or tighter then I could really pull off. But as I matured a little. The little girl in me started dressing more normal. You see I never got a chance to go through everything normal little girls go through. So I do now sometimes. But I have grown and the girl in me has also grown. So when I am able to go out. which isn't that much. I now dress more my age. So I don't think there is anything wrong with some of us dressing younger. And if you can pull it off more power to you.

Aspiring Member
    Hard to find anything about knee level, it is either well above the knee or way below the knee.

While I think it's a free country or countries that most of us here in live in and you can dress as you like. You do have to prepare to be judged, even if anonymously, if you stand out in the way you dress no matter what the gender.

When I was learning do drive my Instructor was an older woman who was always perfectly dressed. As we drove around with me failing to park probably and reverse correctly, he and I had a wonderfully bitchy time commenting on women whose, shall we say, dress sense had let them down. I carry on this even now when out driving. My wife is a kinder woman but even she has been known to comment. There is a woman around here of indeterminate age but ever morning she is to be seen out walking dressed in what only can be described as an eighties teenager's outfit. Age appropriate? It's not even era appropriate.

Upstairs hidden away is pastel coloured little mini skirt and a matching pastel coloured top. I've tried them and pretty as they are. I cannot see myself walking down the street wearing them. Pity.

If you really want to see inappropriate dressing, google 'Traveller girls Ireland' Bear in mind many of them dress like that every day.

Silver Member
    We are not fashion police or thought police. If this was a thread about fashion or style, all opinions are appropriate. But this thread seems to be a rather judgmental referendum on whether a mature CDer should wear a certain outfit. Many responses are rather judgmental and close minded. Unless the question is about passing, "age appropriate" critiques seem inappropriate.

Simply observing that some people (CD or not) don't adhere to a set of arbitrary rules they may not care about as much as you do is just that. Thinking someone is dumb or vapid because he or she doesn't dress age appropriately would be judgmental.

There was an interesting discussion on the radio the other morning. Someone was reading a list of things a GG over 40 should not wear.......long hair, cleavage, short skirts etc. Pretty much the same outcome. I wear things that make me look good and that fit the venue. I don't wear mini skirts to the mall but I do wear skirts and dresses there. I don't feel a requirement to wear the "uniform" of the day, jeans and a T. To a club I'll wear anything I like that looks good on me. Age has little to do with attractiveness so styles that are pretty will always be my choice.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    Someone was reading a list of things a GG over 40 should not wear.......long hair, cleavage, short skirts etc.
    Thank Gawd I am not 40 then And people wonder why women lie about heir age? Because some idiot made a "rule" that when you reach X you can't do something anymore. Wouldn't it be great if there was a rule about men not wearing certain things after a certain age????
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,