Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRACTICALLY speaking

Complex Lolita...

PRACTICALLY speaking

Last night I heard that famous English transvestite comedian, who shall remain nameless (you’re welcome), once again say that women can wear anything they want, and “So do I!”

I think women get to wear anything they want because their clothing choices are based on male prototypes (or ACTUAL male clothing) and they are, it follows, invariably practical. It just makes sense that, according to whatever circumstances come along, a woman may wish to cover her legs, protect her skin (and, it follows, her body), keep warm, stay cool, run up that hill, climb that tree, be efficiently mobile and maybe even get to do what she really WANTS to do. It’s not easy in female clothing, but male clothing is designed with practicality in mind...

Male clothing is concerned with dealing efficiently with everyday activities. That happens to be the very definition of "practical." The opposite of practical is speculative, or risky. If a male wears female clothing, he leaves his world of practicality behind and becomes a risky individual. Oh, there ARE practical female garments, such as a practical dress, but when a man puts that same dress on all practicality is suspended for the foreseeable future, and usefulness is at an end. In my humble opinion, male clothing stresses the importance of utility over beauty or other, more speculative considerations...

Since convenience, or utilitarianism, is the accepted norm these days, it only makes sense that women can wear what they want. Who would argue the practicality of pants over a dress or a skirt, especially when the legs NEED to be protected, for one reason or another? I mean, why are females obliged to show their legs in the first place? Why not deal with everyday activities in a more efficient (and practical) manner? Seems logical to me. Also, women are less restricted than they used to be, and their choice of clothing reflects this, n’est ce pas?

Interestingly, I can speak for many males (by birth) on this site and state, quite emphatically, that it is a revelation to become speculative, or risky, after a life spent in the dungeon of utility. To wear impractical clothes, and subsequently do impractical things, makes me HIGH! This may be a case of the haves and have nots, where one sex (or gender, if you prefer) can wear certain things and the other side can’t. If they didn’t TELL me it was wrong, or at least imply it (24/7), I would probably have never come up with the idea of shaking off the cloak of practical ideology, simply by accepting a certain amount of clothed risk into my life. Impracticality suddenly seemed very attractive to me, so I followed that urge...

There may be an overriding need to get serious about things these days, so any male wearing female clothing is treated with scorn, derision, or worse. The female wearing male clothes may be, subject to interpretation, crossdressing, but wearing practical clothing is never challenged. Perhaps the latter CANNOT be challenged, due to the current state of affairs here in the early 21st century. We are at war, both with outsiders and ourselves, and there is no time for frivolity. This may explain why I can’t walk out my front door, in my frock of choice, and wave to the neighbors as I greet the new day. As soon as they see me, they will think something is amiss, since I obviously have no use for practicality, first cousin of conformity...

In short, I understand why women can wear male clothing and get away with it, while we, my MtF crossdresser friends, are not so lucky. I have attached a photo of Ruth Elder, aviation pioneer from 1927, getting ready to cross the Atlantic in her plane, American Girl. Would you say she is crossdressing, or is she merely dressed for the occasion, i.e. wearing something practical?

PS - A male necktie is decidedly impractical. Just ask a lathe operator...
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you notice Ruthie is wearing a feminine scarf on her head in the pic and there is no doubt she is a woman. I think the white shirt and tie is just a "statement" to show that she is just as good as a man in her profession. Slick move if I do say so myself.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I've taken to wearing skirts. I find they are more COMFORTABLE. Any reason I shouldn't?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    If I were out doing manual labor, traditional "male" clothing might indeed be more practical. But I sit in an office all day, either at my desk typing code into a computer, or in one or another conference room for meetings. I could do that as easily in a skirt or dress as I could in male attire.

And, if we want to talk "practicality," it might even make it easier for me to get ready in the morning. No more having to track down matching, or at least complementary, shirt and pants. Just grab dress from hanger, pull over head, done! (Admittedly, there's a lot more to a "proper" female look that takes more time to get right. I'm trying to keep the comparison as apples-to-apples here.)

Also, I find my pants tend to wear out most quickly in the knees and the crotch. Obviously, I'm not going to have that problem with a skirt or dress!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Banned Read only
    practical?

PS - A male necktie is decidedly impractical. Just ask a lathe operator... [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes Freddy, I know about the neck tie operator. I got mine stuck in the chuck jaws one time and that is why my face looks like it does, yes that is the reason...lol

What is impractical about a skirt? I am too hot down there a lot of the time, I'd love it if I could wear skirts. I think they'd be way more comfortable. Short skirts. Not floor sweepers. and open toe sandals...

Aspiring Member
    In those days aeroplanes were, to say the least, drafty. A skirt would have blown up in an instant and would have scandalized the mores of the day. It took courage to wear pants and even to fly for a woman then. Good on her.

Ineke.

When I worked in the machine trades, you didn't wear rings or watches either nor did you ever leave your shirt tail hanging out. One of the reasons I got out of that racket was looking around the shop one day and realizing that no one over thirty five had 10 whole fingers.

One can get male clothes dirty. When I go in my shop to play with my tools, I leave the dresses and skirts inside. I don't want my girl stuff to get sweaty and burned or cut and stained. I have a special bra and forms for working in the shop. My female clothing is relaxing and wonderful.

I have some old capri pants and some old "T"s that may make it to the work shop.....but generally, my girl stuff stays clean.
    If you feel the need to explain yourself. Smile and Educate. Be proud of who you are!

."ALWAYS, SIT, SPIN, AND TUCK ONE FOOT BEHIND THE OTHER....NEVER CROSS YOUR LEGS"

Emme as in "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post

Male clothing is concerned with dealing efficiently with everyday activities.
    Councillor I have to object (surprise!). How is a suit and tie efficient? Functionality of a tie? (in my field they have two uses, one to have something a cat can climb and two to hold the tail of a bovine up while you palpate...don't know why a banker would have a practical use)

While I agree certain types of clothing may be practical for specific jobs...I think the argument is weak. Amy pointed that out. A desk jockey could be practical in a skirt. Why isn't a frilly blouse practical for a salesman? Bras for men carrying extra breastage.? The famous pantyhose in winter?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Emme View Post
    One can get male clothes dirty. When I go in my shop to play with my tools, I leave the dresses and skirts inside. I don't want my girl stuff to get sweaty and burned or cut and stained. I have a special bra and forms for working in the shop. My female clothing is relaxing and wonderful.

I have some old capri pants and some old "T"s that may make it to the work shop.....but generally, my girl stuff stays clean.
    Good for you, I always get stains, I'm a clumsy git.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Hi Frédérique,
    Judging from the replies you are skating on thin ice, most here have an interest in wearing female garb.
    There are some practicalities to wearing male attire but the reasons elude me for now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

GG
    I think an actual world war would be a leveller for GG attire versus CDing versus practical menswear. Should our safe, privileged little bubble finally burst I suspect most of the conversations and issues addressed here would disappear. Clothing will be a non issue while people fight for actual survival. Really, the chit chat here is not something I'd expect you'd have heard much at Auschwitz.

Does CDing even exist in a non privileged world? Or does everyone just get over it and wear whatever keeps them warm at night?

I haven't been here for too long, but it's still the first time I've seen an example of Godwin's law on this forum. I'm not sure if congratulations are in order TheMissus

All arguments about practicality aside, (MTF) cross-dressers wear women's clothes because they're women's clothes, not because they want to wear something less practical every now and then. I actually don't see that many women in men's clothes in every day life at all, unless you're claiming that pants are male only, which is simply false nowadays.

GG
    Ha, Zylia, someone had to do it. Pity it wasn't actually a lengthy discussion. Seems I might have been premature and should have saved it for the six page brawls that often occur

Hi Freddy, I am in awe over the eloquence of your definition of "practicality and impracticality" with regard to comparing certain articles of male clothing verses female clothing in any given setting or situation. Personally, I think that it is up to any individual what he or she wants to wear in any given situation and the tolerance of ridicule that one can withstand.

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

A male necktie is decidedly impractical. Just ask a lathe operator...
    I love it! Reminds me of some safety warning signs in I saw in field inspections:

A male peacock (redundant, I know) has very impractical plumage, unless you include attracting a mate. Then it works pretty well.

Practical? Wouldn't it be easier to pull up the skirt to pee than to unzip?

The female wearing male clothes ....
    In short, I understand why women can wear male clothing and get away with it, while we, my MtF crossdresser friends, are not so lucky.

I'll bite, even though this argument has been explored more times than I care to remember.

Not a lot of women dress like the woman in your picture, Freddy - you used the exception as your example. I dare say that a woman wearing a shirt tailored for a man's body plus a tie and actual men's pants would gather just as many stares as a man wearing clothes tailored for a woman's body.

Had you used a picture of an average woman wearing an average female pantsuit or just average women's pants and a top, it would have been apparent that she was wearing women's clothes, cut and tailored for a woman's body, and bought in a woman's store.

Edit - Also, if the universe had conspired to assign pants to women (perhaps as a sort of chastity belt), and skirts to men (for greater freedom of movement), crossdressers would want to wear the practical pants instead.
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-19-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    if the universe had conspired to assign pants to women (perhaps as a sort of chastity belt), and skirts to men (for greater freedom of movement), crossdressers would want to wear the practical pants instead.
    Say it ain't so! [fingers in ears] la la la la la la la la la la la la

Banned Read only
    PRACTICALLY speaking, it bores the life out of me when I go to the postings of pictures on the site and see a man emulating a woman by wearing pants! I will never ever wear a pair of womanly jeans. What's the point? I get absolutely no sense of femininity unless I am dressed as a traditional woman. Now, as a child reared in the 1950's and 1960's women did NOT wear pants. Sure, there were women who wore male clothing for practicality or functionality, e.g. women working on horseback. However, women primarily worked in the home at domestic chores or in office and retail.

Women were not pictured in male dominated professions, if they were in them at all. It was a time of families with one breadwinner; the husband.

I do not know why I am a cross dresser. I know my first attraction to woman's clothing was full slips. I suppose a young male now may have been enticed by his sister's girl cut jeans with pretty stitching, but, that did not exist back in my youth. Girls played in dresses. There is a picture hanging in our dining room of my wife and her brother standing at the back door of the house they grew up in. He is attired in bib overalls. She is attired in a cute dress with a full skirt.

Sure, now women have emulated the attire of men. Our functional clothing has been co opted. Yes, a stunning woman attired in heels or boots with jeans and a flannel shirt will definitely turn my head.

A guy emulating a woman by wearing clothing co opted by women? Boring as hell to me. I'll stay with the June Cleaver look of dress, heels and properly undergarments, including my first love of a full slip.

Yep, I'm stuck back in the 1950's and 1960's, a time when the woman stayed home and the guy went to work.

New rule..... Only a certain percentage of the population should be allowed to wear impractical clothing at any one time.... else no one would be able to get anything done.... the economy would falter and we would all set around broke, unemployed in our pretty dresses! lol. Now it would be nice if we all got a turn to wear impractical clothing.... instead of women hogging them all!

Maybe we could rename crossdressing to less practical dressing...... and loose the stigma in the process?
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    Lost in the shuffle as always. Women have so many choices in clothing to offer them a better chance to be "more" ATTRACTIVE to "more" men. It's a woman's CHOICE as to how much effort she will expend on being attractive. [to men] Generally speaking, IF a woman already has a mate or is not looking for one, she will spend far less time, money and effort on her appearance. [A woman's appearance will almost always be at the TOP of most men's desired qualities in a mate. This is old news.] Practicality has ZERO to do with some/much of the stuff FEmales wear. Anything PRACTICAL about makeup? It has ONE purpose. All that stuff, they will put on their faces at all that expense demanding all that time to apply...

If men could catch more women or improve their odds with women by wearing "makeup" of any kind, OR clothing of any kind, they would be all over it or in it. It makes little difference to most women how men "present" themselves. This is easily verified by spending a little time at Dating site Forums. Manufacturers are not going to offer more choices to men UNTIL men need/want/desire more choices. Any woman with even half a brain, will realize that IF she has a decent body and decent legs, a miniskirt and heels will give her a lot more "power" than jeans and a Tshirt or a granny dress and flats.

As long as our [men's] vision "controls" us, women will have far more choices in how they choose to "present" themselves. I don't see it changing any time soon.

One last thing. Hundreds here have reported going out partially dressed for X # of years and NEVER had a problem with anyone, myself included for 11 years, to 8 or 10 different stores. Men CAN and DO wear anything they want.

The SOLUTION is a simple one. Wear what you want, DON'T keep your head on a constant swivel and/or your tail between your legs and TREAT other people "right".

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissus View Post
    Does CDing even exist in a non privileged world? Or does everyone just get over it and wear whatever keeps them warm at night?
    Yes, it does. Transvestism (and other forms of transgendered behavior) have existed in every society, and they still do, even in relatively impoverished societies (like India, Thailand, etc.), and even in societies where men and women don't dress much differently (like parts of the south pacific.)

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons
    If you notice Ruthie is wearing a feminine scarf on her head in the pic and there is no doubt she is a woman.
    I was going to mention that – there’s no question that Ms. Elder is a woman, as evidenced by her hair ribbon. The latter briefly became a fashion fad. She attempted the 1927 trans-Atlantic flight purely for fame and glory, trying to become the first woman to accomplish the feat. She knew how to make an impression, showing up dressed in a white shirt, checkered sweater and stockings, tan golf knickers, and the aforementioned ribbon in her dark bobbed hair. Her airplane was painted bright orange. She almost made it, being forced to ditch in the ocean some 300 miles short of her goal, but she lived to tell the tale. Elder became famous and the adventure catapulted her to Hollywood stardom. Also, as soon as she got back, she ditched her husband…

PS – Amelia Earhart, from Kansas, became the first woman to cross the Atlantic in 1928. She also seemed to prefer practical male clothing, but she dispensed with the hair ribbon…

Quote Originally Posted by DanilleLP
    What is impractical about a skirt?
    Nothing, unless you happen to be a man wearing one (these days). Aren’t short skirts based on male battle garments? The kilt, for instance, was exactly that, and still seems to be so, if you ask any man topped up with machismo, but eventually a day dawned when the kilt became impractical on the battlefield. I love skirts. I worship their comfort, movement, and wrongness, for me wearing one, I mean, since they are definitely impractical for males by birth, as decided by the numerous unadventurous members of society…

Since short, or relatively short skirts, show off the legs, and sometimes move this way and that, isn’t it PRACTICAL for a woman to wear one, if she wants to attract males?

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims
    Judging from the replies you are skating on thin ice, most here have an interest in wearing female garb.
    I’m skating on thin ice, PERIOD!!!

The point of this “essay” is to state that practical garments are generally accepted, so women get less “stick” about what some may define as crossdressing. This is an echoing howl of protest on this site, i.e. how come women can wear anything they want (?), so I am attempting to come at the problem from the angle of practicality vs. impracticality. If you don’t wish to absorb the entire OP, or argument, feel free to wait for the next topic to come up over yonder hill…

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels
    Anything PRACTICAL about makeup?
    Sure, if you’re trying to attract someone (see above), by covering up your imperfections, or highlighting your "charms." I submit that ANY article of clothing, or any accessory (like makeup) is practical if a desired outcome is your goal, even if that goal is self-satisfaction. Making yourself look BETTER, in your eyes, or in the eyes of others, is an ancient practice, but how would you explain MtF crossdressing that is not intended to attract males? Aren’t we engaged in impracticality of epic proportions, a selfish adventure not too unlike Ruth Elder’s flight of fancy? Swimming against the tide, or simply trying to be different, is inherently impractical, but you WILL be remembered for trying it…