Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack of the gender police

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar

Attack of the gender police

"JACKSON, Mo. — Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his school dance. Then the principal told him to change into a pair of pants.

"What began with a few yards of tartan has sparked an international debate about freedom, symbols and cultural dress. More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high-school senior.

"Scots in the United States are assembling a traditional ensemble they hope Warmack will wear to the prom, and his family is trying to change the school's dress-code policy."

Full story here.

Guess some people have trouble with males in anything vaguely resembling a dress. Sheesh....
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Haley Pink~

wooooo cool

I'm a Scott/Irish and proud of it.
    Very Celtic!!!
    Haley

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena Dahlstrom
    "JACKSON, Mo. — Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his school dance. Then the principal told him to change into a pair of pants.
    Guess some people have trouble with males in anything vaguely resembling a dress. Sheesh....
    JACKSON, MO, that explains everything. I keep saying...location is everything. JACKSON, MO is not NYC, SF, or near any big city. Hello?

Do we all feel the terms, Red Neck, White Sock and Blue Ribbon Beer, fits here??? Hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Billijo49504
    Do we all feel the terms, Red Neck, White Sock and Blue Ribbon Beer, fits here??? Hmmmm?
    Jackson, MO and a lot of other parts of Missouri = Redneck Territory.
    That's just the way it is. Nuff Said...

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlena Dahlstrom
    ...More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high-school senior....

Heck I'll sign the petition.
    I was always wondering if a guy could get away with wearing a KILT in place of a skirt to bypass the stereo type that guys can't wear skirts.

Guess I know the answer now.

When will people ever learn???? I am Scottish/British/French and Huron Indian. Heck , yes! I'll sign the petiton. Once as Lawren and again as Lawernce if I can get away with it.

It's a KILT ffs... Not a skirt.

ARGH! :mad:

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

It would seem that the senior at Jackson has managed to insult the Scottish people and their descents in one move.

There are many nations round the world that wear the kilt so what is the matter with that guy, is he frightened of hairy legs?

I am sure that if he paid a visit to the Highlands of Scotland, they would give him a very warm welcome.

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch.

Y'know, if ignorance is bliss, most of America is in love. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a kilt. It's not a feminine article of clothing, even if it is a skirt. I think his wanting to honor his heritage is a fine thing, and not subject to ridicule. The school is dead wrong here.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Read this story yesterday. Ain't it amazing? Its a freakin' kilt. The guy has Scottish blood, and wants to honer his heritage. Man, what the hell is wrong with this world? Get over it!

On a side note, its nice to see the Scottish community rallying behind him, they are even giving him a full outfit to were to the dance. I hope he goes thru with it. What a wonderful message!
    Sarah

"So Often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key" The Eagles

Hi,

I'm Melissa. I've lurked here for a long time, but I had to join and post after I saw that you all picked up on this. That is my former high school.

This isn't an Attack of the Gender Police. This is an Attack of the Idiot. Lots of people hate that principal, including teachers. He's done a lot of boneheaded things beyond that.

Jackson really isn't redneck country. There's around 15,000 people there, and Jackson and Cape Girardeau (35 to 40,000) are getting very close to each other's city limits. So it's actually an area of around 50,000 people...decent size. If you want to see real redneck country, I know of some areas. But Jackson is not one of them. Though I will admit that the area is quite conservative...which I don't really have a problem with since that mostly matches me too.

I've come out to several people in the area...some are accepting while others are not. Some just don't want to talk about it and are neutral. I would say there is a 50/50 split as to approval/disapproval. So, honestly, it's not as bad as you all think. It just takes one person being an idiot and national news to make it seem that way.

If you have any questions about it, let me know. I might be able to answer them. And nice to meet all of you!

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    Isn't it so nice that all of the tolerant people want to tar all of the people in an entire region of the country due to the actions of one person! What ever happened to the golden rule?

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole
    Last edited by Christina Nicole; 12-26-2005 at 09:00 PM.

Hi

I wish I had an email address for this IDIOT.

He presumably calls himself an educator of young minds.

But with such a small minded approach I find it hard to believe.

He only wanted to wear the national dress of Scotland.

It would have been the same had he been Irish.

Do you think he would refuse to admit Sir Jackie Stewart, or Sir Sean

Connery, if they were guest of Honour at one of his school functions.

It seems strange as Americans are proud of their heritage

I'm afraid to say this is the kind of story that gives Americans a bad name.

Thankfully there not all the same.
    Last edited by Shelly_P; 12-24-2005 at 12:25 PM.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly_P
    I wish I had an email address for this IDIOT.
    [SIZE=3]There ya go...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Knock yourself out... [/SIZE]
    http://tinyurl.com/d4vdw

I think the whole thing absurd. Nothing in the world wrong with a kilt. Being of mostly Irish decent, I would love to own an Irish kilt or two. They are very expensive, so this kid or his parents shelled out a good deal of money for that kilt and he should have been allowed to wear it.

Narrow-minded fool.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar

Kilts and things like principals

Me I have three of the offending items. Worn for most of the year too,except for the occasional foray into worn out jeans or baggy slacks. The second most used item ar shorts (cycling) and shorts (short).
    He is biassed but then a lot of people are objectionable too. Its sad that the teacher (adminstrator) of a school should be a member of that clan. Does he think that the offender looks fem ? Or does he not like colour ?

Shelley have you said thank you to Kathyrn and have you contacted the offender, Rick Mac Lard (a Rick can be a haystack or something that happens to your back e.g. rick-ed ? His photo lives with the post with the school info.
    Last edited by Sam-antha; 12-24-2005 at 01:07 PM.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Lets go shoe shopping!! miss_sarah's Avatar
    I saw this come down my AP Headlines yesterday too.

Here in central Illinois there's a constant battle between sides on the UofI "Chief Illiniwek" debate. Odd to see an administrator be so offended with Scot heritage when he oversees a school that I'm sure proudly supports its sports teams prancing around with indian heads, spears and other native icons all over helmets, uniforms and such. Piss on em all i guess There are MANY with native heritage that find such things extremely offending...

MelissaPaige, does the school have a mascot? (physically that is, one that dresses in native garb at games)

Interesting...

Of course I support the family on this one, but then I'm one for allowing anyone to wear whatever they want, provided it's not over the line lewd or vulgar. I mean, we've all seen the news stories about kids trying to actually full-on cross-dress at school functions. I can't help but keep hope that narrow-minded stupidity will continue to decrease. I mean, I don't think it's a HUGE stretch to say that these attitudes (fear of that which is different, not understanding multi-culturalism in our country, etc) are some of the same attitudes that supported slavery, treatment of chinese rail construction labor, and other major blunders in our country's history...

Sorry, this kind of stuff just really gets my panties in a wad!!!
    xoxo Sarah

Hi

Many thanks to Kathryn

I have just completed an email to the principal.

making my feelings known.

i love the welcome statment on the school logo
    Welcome to the home of the indians (national dress ???)

Anybody think I will get a reply ????
    Last edited by Shelly_P; 12-24-2005 at 02:45 PM.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Reply ?

Shelly, good on you,....... want to publish it ..... ? Should you get the unlikely reply then:that you just must, have to publish. Surely for the PRO of the school he will write. Do not forget there must be a local newspaper for his edification.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Thumbs up Kilts...YUM

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was a gent fully kitted out in his kilt. I was in Edinburgh trying to get back to London. Since my friend had wrecked his car outside of Edinburgh (he thought the road was one way and was on what I would call the RIGHT side of the road (left lane), but over there, it's the WRONG side) we had to hop a plane back to England. There were several men decked out in full regalia, so I assume they worked for the airport. Ohhhhh, my. <swoon>

Fiona GG

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    That principal must be a real dolt. If anybody has ever seen a real scotish kilt, it may not be bifurcated but is immediately obvious from its construction that it is not made like a ladies skirt at all. It is the most regal and "Manly" of garments and is well suited for formal affairs.---Being of Scotish heritage myself, and knowing my tartan colors, I have long fully intended to buy a kilt outfit for myself when I can afford it--but they are quite expensive.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that that principal ALSO thinks that CD=Gay---A double insult (not to be putting down gays, but such ignorance irritates the hell out of me, and is a pet peeve of mine)

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    That principal must be a real dolt. If anybody has ever seen a real scotish kilt, it may not be bifurcated but is immediately obvious from its construction that it is not made like a ladies skirt at all. It is the most regal and "Manly" of garments and is well suited for formal affairs.---Being of Scotish heritage myself, and knowing my tartan colors,(McDonald-ClanRanald) I have long fully intended to buy a kilt outfit for myself when I can afford it--but they are quite expensive.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that that principal ALSO thinks that CD=Gay---A double insult (not to be putting down gays, but such ignorance irritates the hell out of me, and is a pet peeve of mine)

Shelley P I have also been to that school with e-mail, blind copy to the PE instructor.
    I had fun doing it. Did yuo ?

Gurls, canwe get back on thread ? i know that I am wondrful in the kilt, but that will keep until I meet with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly_P
    i love the welcome statment on the school logo
    Welcome to the home of the indians (national dress ???)
    That annoyed me to.

Home? Not any more...

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]