Thread: Crossdressing in Japan

Crossdressing in Japan

Hello everyone.
    With all of the Japanese anime does anyone know what the level of acceptability is of crossdressing in Japan?
    Just curious.
    Jennifer.

Crossdressing, cosplay, and crossplay are VERY active in Japan. There are even places men can go to learn about proper application of make up and appearance.

And while you may not see a crossdresser openly running for the position of Prime Minister anytime soon, you also won't find crowds of torch wielding citizens chasing down a guy in a skirt either.

And, if you've ever gone to a Comic Convention, you'll see TONS of men and boys in girly garb. Some of them are actually pretty & cute.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I have seen some Japanese shows on youtube were they dress the boys as girls and do an amazing job of it, with them showing shows like this on TV over there, i think its safe to say the have a high acceptance of CD and TG.

Banned Read only
    As one who has lived in Japan, speaks the language and has been embedded in the culture, I can tell you that non-conforming in any way is still frowned upon. Homosexuality is not openly displayed nor discussed. Cross dressing is so far off the radar. Like all societies, there are cross dressers there. There is no reason to think the percent of the population cross dressing is any different than here. What is most certainly different is the knowledge about cross dressing. Japan is in the 1950s compared to the USA in this regard. It is deeply closeted.

Thanks Jennifer - that's helpful.

Jennifer.

Banned Read only
    It's accepted here in the US The Forums are FULL of stories of ACCEPTANCE by people going out in all manner of dress. It's WELL documented. ACCEPTANCE in the way JD public treats them.

If someone is going to get their panties in a wad over what JD public might be THINKING, they are NEVER going to have any "fun" going out "dressed". If it's not fun, why bother?

As far as Japan? W/O doing a Google search, I will just guess that the average Japanese man is at least a couple of inches shorter than a typical American man if not 3. And probably 30 pounds lighter at the very least? Seems like that alone would make passing for them a whole lot easier?

Wheels, where you are off, while Japanese men may be smaller than Europeans, so are there women, while a Japanese man might fool you, or other none Asians, I doubt they could fool their own people, any better than we do.
    I haven't been there in many years, but the people I saw in Japan where very prejudices against anything different.
    In Japan there society is built on what's best for the total society, not the individual.
    Last edited by Tina B.; 09-04-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    As far as Japan? W/O doing a Google search, I will just guess that the average Japanese man is at least a couple of inches shorter than a typical American man if not 3. And probably 30 pounds lighter at the very least? Seems like that alone would make passing for them a whole lot easier?
    That's not how it works. Firstly, Japanese people, in general, are getting taller as they eat more protein in the form of beef. I am 5'7" and I am about average male height in Japan these days. Women are maybe 5'4" on average. But, a Japanese man, comapred to a Japanese woman, IN JAPAN, look quite different. They are no more passible to Japanese people than we Americans are to American people.

Wow. Guess we went to different bars.. Once I found 1 they turned out to be numerous and lots of fun people. (Crossdressers and Newhalfs)
    Ja-Mata ne

I'm sure it's the same as everywhere else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have had no problems in Japan. I wrote about it on this forum: ...yes I really think so...
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    One thing that could trip up a Japanese crossdresser is the language. Such simple things as pronouns can change depending on whether the speaker is a man or a woman, and based on relative social standing between the parties in a conversation. Here's an example, from a guide originally written for the Yale Anime Society:
    When using the first person, the Japanese speaker can choose among the following words: watashi, watakushi, atashi, boku, ore, sessha, washi, and atai. This list is by no means complete, also. All of these terms are translated "I" even though each word has different connotations.

Watashi is polite without indicating deference or formality. Boku is used by young men (and young women actively emulating male behavior). Ore is even more overtly masculine, and implies either that a man is speaking among intimates (at the least that there are no women present) or that he is aggressively macho. Atashi is strictly feminine speech. Watakushi is an older form of watashi.

Today it's considered slightly more formal, and its use indicates that the speaker is paying conscious attention to decorum. Watakushi is favored by women, but might also be used by men, especially in the service industry. Sessha is an older form, and implies courtliness and modesty. Washi is used by older men in positions of authority. Atai is associated with the lower class.
    You think developing a femme voice is hard? Imagine having to switch to an entirely different mode of language in order to "pass"!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by abigailf View Post
    I have had no problems in Japan. I wrote about it on this forum: ...yes I really think so...
    Were your experiences mostly with airport and hotel personnel or did you dress and mingle during your visit there?

A few thoughts for the OP: if you decide to fly dressed, the airport & hotel personnel will have been trained to treat you with courtesy. If you decide to dress to go out after you arrive, you may get away with it simply because you are a foreigner there. They are not familiar with the subtleties of our Western features and they will just think that you are a masculine looking foreign woman. I was in Japan earlier this year and I agree with Jennifer. Crossdressing (unless it is Anime) is not tolerated among Japanese men. They can tell the difference between a crossdressed Japanese male and female. Not so much with foreigners, just as we have a more difficult time reading Japanese crossdressers.

Still, I wouldn't take a chance, especially if you are not familiar with the culture and the places that you should stay away from.
    Reine

With the restraunts with crossdressing waitresses and other activities I believe Japan has a greater acceptance than anywhere else.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.