Thread: Mammograms

Mammograms

Been on HRT about a year now and I was wondering, how long after you started to develop breasts should you consider a mammogram?
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

I've been on HRT for about 18 months. My endo saw no need for one, but my GP ordered one because my mother and sister both had breast cancer. Otherwise she would not have ordered it either. And I'm about a smallish B cup.

dually noted. I will bring it up with GP in November. My mother had breast cancer as well.
    I was told that I was "Way out there In left field", but I don't even know where that is.

Jess

Banned Read only
    Unless there is a problem or a history of breast cancer in the family, most young girls get their first mammogram around age 21. This sets the baseline that all future mammograms are compared to.

Not-So-New Post-Op Member Leigh Wyndham's Avatar
    Well,

I can tell you that early detection of any nodule or lump in breast tissue is most important. I have been on estrogen since I was sixteen. I am now in my mid-fifties. Two years ago my routine mammogram detected a small nodule in my right breast. I was terrified that if it was the big "C" and it was going to be an estrogen sensitive tumor. Well, thank God it was nothing more than a calcified milk duct and an aspiration biopsy took care of the big scare. SO,,, I cannot emphasize enough that all women, whether born or post-natally created, have regular mammograms. It is the best and easiest way to find any unusual mass when it is tiny. Mine was less than the size of a BB. If it should have been malignant AND estrogen sensitive, it would have meant the end of my emotional well-being on estradiol injections.

I still have mammograms every year. I recommend every woman do the same.
    Last edited by Leigh Wyndham; 09-10-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: misspelling corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    Unless there is a problem or a history of breast cancer in the family, most young girls get their first mammogram around age 21. This sets the baseline that all future mammograms are compared to.
    At least in the US, it's rare to have a mammogram before age 35. And now the idea of a "baseline" mammogram is no longer recommended.
    http://nwhn.org/myth-baseline-mammogram

Silver Member
    I asked my doctor about mammograms. She said no need until 5 years on estrogen.
    Lea

I went to see my GP two weeks ago, to review meds, and for a breast exam. Since I'm 57 years old, and I've recently grown to a 40B, she recommended a mammogram. There are small lumps that form and smooth out over a week's time. I've been doing lower doses over a longer time, and have also been taking meds for blood pressure as well as Niaspan, which causes hot flashes. My wife teases me saying "Congratulations honey, you get to go through puberty and menopause all at the same time.

I'm also talking a heart medication. I've reviewed all of my medications with all of my doctors to make sure they are not conflicting with each other.

My GP told me to schedule myself for a mammogram before December. My wife wants to come and watch - and laugh :-D

Not particularly looking forward to having my relatively small breasts mashed between two refrigerators. ;-)
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Untitled
    Shortly after my 50th I was invited to attend a breast screening. At the time I had just begun HRT and had no growth. I rang to inform them of my position and they simply said, no problem, we will recall you at your next routine screening, in the mean time, just contact your GP if you have any concerns.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I got my first mammogram at about 16 months on HRT, primarily because my doc wanted a baseline before I had my breast augmentation..........Stephanie

My endo has a bizarre sense of humor. As I was leaving his office, he said 'Lots of transwomen forget that they still have some guy parts, so in a couple of years you'll want to book a mammogram, and a prostate exam'. I said 'Together?', and he said 'Why not, I'd love to see that receptionists face'.

The likelihood is that you will have developed prostate cancer before breast cancer - what irony!
    Last edited by Nigella; 09-11-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the post above you, its in the rules
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

True, and sad. But the real irony...My wife has had a mastectomy, and is taking Lupron to eliminate estrogen. I'm on HRT.
    Last edited by Nigella; 09-11-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the post above you, its in the rules

I think your doctor would be the one to ask about a mamogram.

Several years ago, my left breast began to grow and when I mentioned it to my doctor, she did a breast exam and ordered a mamogram. Nothing was found and eventually, it returned to the same size as the other one.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda