Thread: Bad situation at my local Catherines WESTLAND, MI

Bad situation at my local Catherines WESTLAND, MI

A few days ago I purchased a pair of slacks at Catherine's. Since my favorite store (Novi, MI) closed I have been going to the Southfield, MI store which is a bit of a drive from my house. I was in drab and had no problems what so ever in fact at that store as well as the one that closed I have never had an issue whether fem or drab.
    Unfortunately they didn't fit as well at home as in the store so I had to take them back. There is a closer Catherine's to me by far but they haven't been exactly user friendly, but I was feeling lazy so I went there to return them. I went in and handed the slacks to an SA and told her that if I could find anything else I would like to do an exchange. I was also in drab this time too. She said OK and I started to browse the clearance racks. While I was doing that a gentleman walked in and asked for a certain panty style in a certain size. The SA asked if they were for his wife. To his credit he said no they are for me. I could see her demeanor change at that point and she just pointed to the panty section as if to dismiss him. As he walked away this SA and the one who waited on me as well as a creepy old man who is always there proceeded to snicker and make comments to each other. I guess the forgot I was close enough to hear.

As I didn't find anything I just asked for my refund and while it was being processed laughing boy AKA creepy old guy and the other SA were still having a ball over the guy looking at panties.

I took my refund and started to leave and then decided hell no. I walked over to the shapewear department and selected 3 Flexees briefs and asked if I could try them on. The SA said I could and then in a voice loud enough for the entire store to hear announced "I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO WOMEN IN THE WOMEN'S FITTING ROOM BEFORE I CAN LET YOU IN SIR!!!" (sarcastic tone).
    I get that, makes perfect sense to me and for the record I was not embarrassed as much as pissed.

She asked if anyone was in the fitting rooms and one lady answered yes. I was told "you can't go in." I just sat down on the bench and said I'll wait. After a while a lady came out, smiled at me and went about her shopping. I tracked down the SA who followed by creepy old guy came over and told me I could go in now and then again in a very loud voice said "OH, MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE YOUR UNDERWEAR ON!!". As if I wouldn't???? I went in and just sat on the little bench in there for a while as I had no intention on buying the briefs anyway. After about 5 minutes I came out and put the 3 pair on the reject rack and headed for the door, followed by creepy old guy. Just as my hand was about to open the door creepy old guy said to his wife the SA "stop him I think he took something." I just turned around and walked back to the register where I waited while she verified that all three items were on the reject rack and then I told everyone within earshot including both SA's and creepy old guy that transgendered does not equal pervert and does not equal thief. I also told them that their general manager should expect a phone call from me.

I love Catherine's! I have a credit card and a perks card. I buy lots of stuff for myself as well as my SO. On top of that I buy hundreds of dollars worth of there closeouts for my EBAY store. I have been to every one of there stores within 50 miles of my home and all of them are wonderful except this one store. It has been unfriendly for the last three years that I know of. If you are from this area avoid at all costs. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE WESTLAND, MI STORE

I AM OFFICIALLY DECLARING THEM THE MOST NON TRANS FRIENDLY STORE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED AND DON'T FORGET CREEPY OLD GUY!!!
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So sorry this happened to you. Good for you for showing them you don't care what they think. I do live in the area and will definitely be avoiding the Westland area.
    I am still too afraid to try anything on in a store anyway. I have yet to find any trans-friendly stores in my area.

Wow, Michelle! I have gone to several different Catherines locations and have never been treated with anything less than friendliness and respect. I often wear women's clofhes(jeans, blouses,shoes, and even a noticeable bra) and have never had a problem. Of course, they do have check the fitting rooms for female customers,and this is understandable, but, have never made any untoward comments. They have gone out of their way to be helpful and one S/A even told me that she had just had a female customer try on 10 or more bras and buy nothing and then I tried on 2 and bought one. She told me about l their sale items and even gave me a 25.00 coupon for their upcoming sale. If I were you, I would contact their corporate office. We spend a lot of money at not only their stores, but, also their sister store,Lane Bryant.

Monique

Platinum Member
    I'm glad you're calling them out...and don't forget to notify their corporate offices!

I wish you would write them a letter and tell them it will be shared here. I believe there is around 21,000 members (potential non customers)

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Wow Michelle that is terrible the way they treated you.The Catherine's close to me is a great store.
    Call corporate for sure.

Wow, that's worse than bad! I hope you contact the corporate offices and if you do, please let us know the response.

Michele, Definitely send a letter to corporate HQ. That's the kind of behavior that can cost a chain a lot of money. Top brass want to know this.
    give the SA's name and the fact that her spouse is hanging out in the store making comments.

You should have asked for the manager right on the spot, reported it to the manager. You then ask the manager what solution is to be done about the problem before you report it to corporate.

That will get you action. I worked retail, and I know what I'm talking about.

Jodi

Michelle, I understand your frustration and your motivation in putting out an APB here to warn all TG "Michiganders" to avoid this particular Catherine's store at all costs, and to hit them in the bottom line where it will likely hurt them the most. But IMHO, the extreme negativity and rudeness that you were subjected to here - not to mention that bogus theft accusation - calls for a more hard-hitting response, and maybe even some guerrilla-type actions to truly shame and embarrass them in turn.

Rather than boycotting this store, you should probably use the reverse approach, and either organize a mass protest in front of their establishment, or else round up a contingent of your crossdressing friends to descend on the store en masse and effectively take it over as part of an epic shopping spree and leave their GG customers with their mouths agape, potentially to never return again.

We had a similar incident here in Canada (Saskatoon, Sask., actually) some months ago where a MTF transgendered person was refused service by a bridal boutique. She made a huge stink about it, a demonstration in front of the store was organized, the media got involved, and it has now been indelibly branded as a place to avoid because of its discriminatory policies and its flaunting of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms. You can read the full story in the attached link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05...n_3219346.html

As they say, don't get mad; get even...

Banned Read only
    Michelle, you need to print out a copy of your post and send it to the appropriate corporate officer of Catherine's.

Don't complain here, we are the choir! We need to start complaining to the owners of these places. Trust me, they listen!

Catherines Stores Corporation
    3742 Lamar Avenue
    Memphis, TN 38118
    901-363-3900
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

WOW that is bad you should contact the corporate offices

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post

Rather than boycotting this store, you should probably use the reverse approach, and either organize a mass protest in front of their establishment, or else round up a contingent of your crossdressing friends to descend on the store en masse and effectively take it over as part of an epic shopping spree and leave their GG customers with their mouths agape, potentially to never return again.
    I agree with Leslie on this. We need to stop accepting rudeness when we are out shopping. We have the right to buy ANYTHING we want just the same as anyone else and get treated the same too. The bottom line is all these companies understand or unwanted attention drawn to them, This will be the only way they will ever change their ways, train better, or hire better employees.

If You did email them at their HQ, I hope you get a response that makes sense and hope to hear the results. Regardless I would certainly be done with that store
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Please remember that in my experience it was only this one store and I know from personal experience that the other stores in my area are wonderful and in fact some of the stores go out of their way to make me feel welcome. I guess what I'm saying is rather than try to hurt Catherine's, I just want to see this particular store change it's ways. I will be writing a letter and following up with a phone call very soon. I am just in the middle of a project at the moment. Email apparently is not the answer with this company as my SO an I as well as friends have emailed several times over the past 2 years about their snotty attitude and of course creepy old guy and have as yet received no response. I am going tomorrow to another store to see a friend who works their to see if I can get a name and phone number for the regional manager.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will be writing a letter and following up with a phone call very soon. ... Email apparently is not the answer with this company as my SO an I as well as friends have emailed several times over the past 2 years about their snotty attitude and of course creepy old guy and have as yet received no response.
    If you can afford it, send your letter by FedEX or UPS addressed to the CEO/President. They are a private company so I could not find who their corporate officers are but a phone call should be able to get you that information.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I think a boycott of that particular location would be rather helpful actually. Back when Sears closed lots of the Kmarts recently, it was the ones that had the worst sales apparently, and the ones that were in locations where Kmarts were relatively close and/or Sears were relatively close. Just tell everyone who can to avoid that location. Hurt the sales of that location, and it could go the way of your former favorite location.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

I would have made a formal complaint and raised merry hell!
    Beware when I am a secret shopper.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree with the suggestions to write a formal protest letter to the president of the company. Don't threaten to stop shopping there, just explain in detail what you observed and exactly when. Describe the employees who offended you as well. Explain what you want to happen (sensitivity training and monitoring). If you don't get a response or you get an unsatisfactory response, don't shop there anymore.

In my experience (not that I do this often), such letters usually bring an appology and often a gift certificate.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

As he walked away this SA and the one who waited on me as well as a creepy old man who is always there proceeded to snicker and make comments to each other. I guess the forgot I was close enough to hear.
    Ever wonder how often this happens when we aren't close enough to hear? In a recent thread the majority here said they never had any bad experiences while shopping. We have to realize that there is often talk and snickers behind our backs, or after we leave the store.

I think it would be great if this store was suddenly inundated with men asking to try on women's clothes. It may not prove anything or do any good, but it would be kind of a practical joke... on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee3 View Post
    We have to realize that there is often talk and snickers behind our backs, or after we leave the store.
    That may be a very valid possibility...but what happens after we leave the store is their problem. At least if they do it when we aren't in the store it seems more professional to us.

Part of keeping a professional appearance as a SA is also being friendly and helping the customer out, not saying things where the whole store can hear that essentially are meant to embarrass and sound like "THERE'S A GUY BUYING PANTIES HERE! ISN'T THAT THE GREATEST GIRLS? WAIT, IT GETS BETTER, HE'S BUYING THEM TO WEAR THEM HIMSELF."
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Catherines is part of the Ascena Retail Group, Inc; Ascena also owns Lane Bryant, DressBarn, Maurices, and Justice Brands. The most recent Annual Report available for Ascena is for 2012 and there have been some executive changes since its publication. In February of 2013 Linda Heasley was named President and CEO of Lane Bryant by David Jaffe, President and CEO of Ascena Retail Group.

The 2012 Annual Report lists David R. Jaffe as the Chief Executive and President of Ascena Retail Group. The report lists a number of Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents for both Catherines and Lane Bryant but no President or CEO. The press release announcing the appointment of Ms. Heasley to the position of President and CEO of Lane Bryant makes no mention of Catherines also being under her purview.

Ascena Retail Group, Inc Website can be accessed here http://www.ascenaretail.com/; a copy of the 2012 Annual Report can be downloaded in pdf format from the “for investors” section.

You might also consider posting on Websites like Yelp, Angie’s List (although you have to pay to join Angie’s List).
    Babs